PDA

View Full Version : microsoft flight simulator

W4LLACE
15th Mar 2008, 16:52
How accurate is microsoft flight simulator. I mean this in terms of learning where controls are and what they do and why they do them?

Im going to be learning to fly in the summer so I am interested to see if playing about with this will benefit me any???

nick14
15th Mar 2008, 17:41
The flight sim is good for learning the basic display and use of the instruments, how they react to different conditions.

its also good for learning basic instrumnet flight, turns, tracking VOR's NDB's, Holding, procedure turns and ILS approaches.

the basic flight dynamics are ok and simulate the actual flying quite accurately but without the full visual and feel then it still lacks realism, but then again its a 50 pound computer game.

Its an excellent investment in my book, its helped with my CPL and will be invaluable for my IR.
Nick

W4LLACE
16th Mar 2008, 13:37
superb thank you so much for replies

CAT3C AUTOLAND
16th Mar 2008, 15:20
All good advice above.

One thing I would say, and this comes from experience, if you are going to use Microsoft FS, make sure you dont get into a bad habit of keeping your eyes inside the cockpit. When you start flying, you will be flying by visual flight rules. As well as scanning your instruments, the majority of the time your eyes should be outside the cockpit, scanning for other traffic and flying the correct attitudes.

I always found students who had thousands of hours on FS very good at exercise 19, which is instrument flying :).

Enjoy your PPL, its a lot of fun, all the best.