PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff flying school

ElSupremo
14th Mar 2008, 17:59
I've checked the website but it's not very good...

Does anyone have any information on what courses this school offers i.e. private and commercial etc? Does anyone know of prices and whether they offer any sponsorship schemes (or indeed whether any airlines use it as a sponsor partner)? It'd be ideal for me as I live in Cardiff :)

Many thanks.

rossym
14th Mar 2008, 18:11
Hello,

I'm assuming you mean Cardiff Academy of Aviation?

Their website is in desperate need of being inputed with info about their courses. However, I suggest you give them a ring on 01446 710000, or you can just pop in and speak to someone, as they are friendly in there (so I've heard ;) )!

Best regards,

rossym

ElSupremo
14th Mar 2008, 18:38
Yeah, that's the school I'm talking about. I will give them a ring if all else fails although I'd love to know roughly what they charge and whether they offer the fATPL.

Does anyone have a personal experience of doing a course their?

Cheers for the phone number etc btw!

Biggles_77
17th Mar 2008, 14:11
ElSupremo,

I'm doing my PPL there at the moment. I looked into doing it at Bristol & Aeros in Gloucester but really its too far to travel. I've been a member of CAA for a few years. The guys up there are a great bunch and you are taught to fly professionally. They do need to update there website with the courses that they do but I can tell you that they can train you up to fATPL. This is the route I am taking and I know a few members up there who are also doing this. You have to bare in mind that it is a flying club, and not a flying centre - you will have to pay annual membership fees to join. If you live in Cardiff I would highly recommend them - some good instructors, planes are excellent - the only bummer is the weather!... but that cant be helped.

PM me if you want further info.
Cheers, Bigs

Moffman
17th Mar 2008, 14:28
I flew some hours at that centre as part of a flying scholarship..i have to be honest it was a vast improvement from the previos shambles of a flying club that existed before!They have obviously invested alot of cash into making it a success, however i must say i was not impressed with the attitude of some of the staff there, and the few individuals i did come across over the couple weeks i was there, were not enthusiastic about me flying from the club, nor about teaching to fly in general!!

That was a couple years ago so i hope they have sorted themselves and started to come across as a more motivated flying club/school! Im sure everyone agrees that it would be terrible to see the main welsh club go under..again! I have since then been flying in the right hand seat of a320/321 so i do have SOME experience about what to expect from a professional aviation set-up!

AlphaMale
17th Mar 2008, 14:34
Like me (10 miles from CWL) I am tempted to train at CAoA but I find their website ... very uninformative. So trying to compare them with Aeros and B-F-C is a right pain, also nobody really seems to have an opinion about them, if I ask about Airways / Aeros / B-F-C people are telling me I can't go far wrong.

So I am wondering if I could do my PPL at CAoA for less than £6k on planes as well managed and instructors as professional & efficient as those in the others listed?

I'll be ringing them in the week as I'm looking to sir my exams with them but if the price is right then I guess I could be persuaded. I don't think anybody wants to drive over 50miles just to be told the weather isn't good enough to fly. :ugh:

If anybody has more information it would be a great help if it was posted here ;)

Thanks

AlphaMale
19th Mar 2008, 21:14
I might pop in this weekend, apparently it's going to rain so there should be a couple of people around to have a chat with.

I guess it's just easier to go with a school that has a reputation of getting people through their CPL & IR with first time passes and quickly. I know a licence is a licence no matter where you get it from but I tend to think an airline would favour a modular Oxford/Cabair/B-F-C student over a Cardiff student?

I'll update this thread after my visit :ok:

ElSupremo
19th Mar 2008, 22:24
Cheers mate ^^^

Moffman
20th Mar 2008, 16:02
I disagree with Right Touch...If you are 100% commited to becoming a airline pilot, you need to try and get off on the right foot, as far as your training is concerned! Yes, it is true that almost anyone can go away and pay for some training and come away with a license, but its your level of training that you will recieve which will aid you in the future, and airlines have recognised this! Hence why the preferable route is Integrated with a reputable flight school! The industry is as comepetitive as ever, and its things like training background that help distinguish between candidates! I came through CTC wings, and the reason i chose them was the fact i knew i would receive some of the best instruction/facilities in the industry...which from this led me straight into the right hand seat of a 757 with 300 hours under my belt, with no further airline selection required!! Its cos of the strict selection process and the high level of training associated with CTC, a large number of airlines have agreements with them!

My advice would be if you are really want to fly for a airline...DO NOT sacrifice quality training/facilties for a smaller cost...your hindering yourself right from day 1 if you do....

AlphaMale
24th Mar 2008, 18:59
Well I popped into CAoA today and spoke to 2 very nice guys, they were very helpful and gave me advise and told me of their route in getting a fATPL. One of the guys had finished his exams and the other was looking to do his ATPL exams soon.

Both had done their training with Cardiff to date and told me I'd need around £45k to complete the lot.

Very clean office/reception and professional looking (building and staff).

Prices (1st November 2007 onward)

Initial Joining Fee : £200
Membership Annual/Renewal Fee : £125
Insurance Excess Indemnity Fee : £45 (optional)

JAA PPL Course : £6,295 (Includes 45hrs R2120/200 & Theory Exams)
5 Hour Starter Course : £670 (Includes 5hrs R2120/200 & briefings)
10 Hour PPL Training : £1,273 (Includes 10hrs R2120/200 with 5% discount)

IMC Rating : £2,100

Night Rating : £700

JAA Multi-Engine Class Rating : £2,300

RT Test : £80

Skills Test Initial PPL/SEP Rating : £165

Skills Test IMC : £165

Skills Test Multi : £165

Commercial Training

JAA Multi-Engine Class Rating : £2,350 (6hrs PA34 briefings & flight test)

JAA CPL : £6,250 (25hrs PA 28R & briefings)

JAA CPL Multi-Engine : £7,900 (18hrs PA 28R & 10hrs PA34)

JAA SE-IR : £11,250 (PA 28R)

JAA ME-IR : £14,050 (40hrs PA 28R & 15hrs PA34)

JAA ME-IR (CPL holders) : £12,950 (35hrs PA 28R & 15hrs PA34)

Training Rates - Commercial & PPL

PPL Dual Training Robin R2120 : £134
PPL Dual Training Piper PA28 Dti : £145
PPL Dual Training Cessna C172 Dti : £145
PPL Dual Training Piper PA28R Arrow : £215
PPL Dual Training Piper PA34 Seneca : £340

Night / IMC Dual Training Robin R2120 : £140
Night / IMC Dual Training C172 Dti / PA28 Dti : £150

Commercial Dual Training Piper PA28 Dti : £180
Commercial Dual Training Cessna C172 Dti : £180
Commercial Dual Training Piper PA28R Arrow : £250
Commercial Dual Training Piper PA34 Seneca : £340

I think that's enough prices for now (fingers are hurting) but gives you a insight on the prices until their website is up and running.

Although it's on my door step I'm not going to stop researching into doing the PPL in the US.

Hope this post helps you out a little ElSupremo.

ElSupremo
25th Mar 2008, 11:37
Cheers for all the info AlphaMale... it's helped me out a lot!

AlphaMale
25th Mar 2008, 12:49
Glad I could help :ok:

theballetbrusque
26th Mar 2008, 00:37
Thanks for all that information Alpha.
I've been wanting to do my CPL ME/IR for a while now, and am considering Cardiff.
I was going to call them tomorrow for their prices, but you've done the work for me, cheers.
Do you know how easy it is to get to their facilities from Cardiff central?
Their website is a real shocker.