PDA

View Full Version : Is there an Avation Channel or regular program on Sky?

vabsie
13th Mar 2008, 19:52
Hi there

As some of you might know the bug has bitten and I'm hoping to start with my PPL(A) towards the end of the year.

For the past few months I've been reading, eating and sleeping aviation, but it doesn't appear to be enough (my girlfriend wouldn't agree).

Are there any aviation channels on Sky or TV that are interesting? (Not seconds from disaster), more interested in Private/Light aircraft.

Reading all the Pilot Mags too :)

Stefan

Put1992
13th Mar 2008, 20:28
There used to be discovery wings, and i would look forward to a thursday night when it was civil aviaiton evening. A classic show was "A plane is born". (argh, can't remember his name) made an aircraft of his own while training for his PPL, and you used to be able to see all the training exercises.

But they removed it from virgin media, im not sure if it is still on sky
(Not seconds from disaster)

Air crash investigation then? ;)

vabsie
13th Mar 2008, 21:18
after I clicked the submit button I though ..arggg should also have mentioned not air crash investigation! :)

thanks anyway Put1992 ... might have to resort to buying a couple of DVDs if I can't find anything (aviation related before the jokes start to pile in) .. or even better visit the local airfield more ;)

imperialsam
13th Mar 2008, 21:41
Funny you asked, as I was just looking for similar stuff on Sky yesterday.

I didn't manage to find anything; Discovery Wings turned into Discovery Turbo and seems to be mostly about cars and motorbikes. Just browsing through it's schedules though there is the odd thing aviation related, though more of the 'Superplanes' variety than civil, and mostly at inconvenient times. It's Sky channel 523.

eharding
13th Mar 2008, 22:01
http://www.loop.aero

Click on "Loop TV" on the left hand side.

Start with Uncle in the Sukhoi at the bottom of the list and work your way up the page.

Select "Full Screen" on the playback, sit back from the monitor. Excellent stuff.

XX621
13th Mar 2008, 22:14
Discovery Wings was axed a couple of years ago unfortunately. I actually phoned Sky up to enquire why there were pulling it, yet channels carrying such fine examples of quality programming as "Topless Darts in Space" remained. The answer, which came very swiftly, was "Sir, TopLess Darts in Space attracts some of biggest audience figures in the special interest categories. Discovery Wings was no longer viable."

C'mon Discovery...we wouldn't have objected to "Topless Darts in Aeroplanes" would we lads? :ok:

Contacttower
13th Mar 2008, 22:15
Mark Evans did the A Plane is Born series; it was very interesting actually. If I remember rightly he also built a helicopter as well.

eharding
13th Mar 2008, 22:24
Topless Darts In Space

You git.

I've just wasted 5 minutes of my life frantically scrolling through the Sky online schedule trying to find this channel, only to find it doesn't exist. Thanks.

The disappointment only compounded to find that whilst they're showing the Norwegian Ladies Netball team in action on channel 404, it turns out they're all built like a blonde Frank Bruno. The fact that "Pukka Pies" spend good money on advertising at the event might be a a clue.

Ken Wells
13th Mar 2008, 22:25
Brill, just watched Dennis Kenyon blast across London in a MD500

Great TV

XX621
13th Mar 2008, 23:22
eharding: I can assure you Topless Darts in Space used to be on Sky (Live TV channel)...!!!

I've even found a reference on this site: http://www.ukgameshows.com/page/index.php?title=Topless_Darts

...no video clips though I'm afraid!

SpeedbirdXK8
13th Mar 2008, 23:49
forget TV and get to the real sky!

vabsie
14th Mar 2008, 08:50
cheers eharding .. starting to check some of the loop vids out.

another productive day at work coming up.

S

CapCon
14th Mar 2008, 11:17
http://www.airsports.tv/

It's a new website that covers a whole load of air sports. Great videos! :ok:

tangovictor
14th Mar 2008, 16:58
i think Chn 4 show the air races, not sure if they are available to download or watch on demand, as long as they silly Ecclestone girl isn't on it, trying to be an interviewer, as if it needs the money :ugh: