PDA

View Full Version : Professional Pilot Training in Toronto

Skywards747
13th Mar 2008, 19:13
My son who is graduating from Univ. of Toronto in June wants start his basic flying training leading to a career as a professional pilot.

He is looking for a reputable professional flying school in greater Toronto area. We will really appreciate any suggestions or opinions about choosing the right school.

I chose this forum over wannabes forum as I felt this is more appropriate due to Canadian angle.

Thank you.

+TSRA
14th Mar 2008, 03:14
While I agree with the other person that you should not limit your scope to the GTA, there are some really good schools around the traps.

Spectrum Airways which is between Milton and Burlington. Go talk to their CFI, who I think is still Audra Oakes. She has an excellent staff and is one of the best and most patient instructors I have ever come across! They have a decently maintained fleet with very few disruptions, and as it goes are probably the most ideally located school in the GTA with its proximity to uncontrolled and controlled airports, instrument approaches for the instrument rating, and is only 45 minutes from Niagara Falls and the US border (good for sightseeing and trying out the American way of doing things once the licence is done!). Their website is: www.spectrumairways.com (http://www.spectrumairways.com)

I have never heard a bad thing about Brampton Flying Club either, and know two ex instructors who are nothing but some of the most professional people I have the pleasure of knowing. There is also Guelph. Kitchner/Waterloo, Toronto Airways and Im sure there has got to be one out in Buttonville.

The only problem with training right in Toronto is the proximity to Pearson, which at times will limit when and where you can fly, making ab initio training a little more difficult than it needs to be!

Hope this helps!

FL470
14th Mar 2008, 07:35
I did my training at the Brampton Flight Centre and I would do it again. The people there are very friendly and professional. They own their own airport and have a well maintained fleet. The restaurant is worth a visit as well ;).

Tower controlled airports like Hamilton, Oshawa, Kitchener and London are right around the corner.

The point mentioned above with the close proximity to CYYZ is true but doesn't affect initial training. Only IFR training could be affected because one has to expect a few holdings before shooting the approach (CYYZ traffic takes precedence over CNC3 traffic). The VFR training area is just a few miles to the north of the airfield. If I remember it right it's just west of Collingwood.

Try www.bramfly.com (http://www.bramfly.com)

Cheers

ng78
15th Mar 2008, 15:39
I agree, don't limit yourself. I too have trained at Spectrum Airways in Burlington, and they are pretty good. However, there is a new CFI, as Audra has moved on to bigger and hopefully better pastures. Let's see how things change with the new CFI. I do agree though, Audra was very good, so there are big boots to fill!

+TSRA
15th Mar 2008, 17:24
Do you know where Audra went?

ODGUY
19th Mar 2008, 19:01
NC3's training area is nowhere near Collingwood. I never did train there, I trained in Guelph, NC4, and have a hard time believing that NC3's training area is anywhere near Collingwood.

I was an instructor and later became the CFI and the C.P just north-east of the Toronto.

When it comes down to it, as far as the student is concerned, it's 30% school 70% instructor. Flight instructor is the tougher job to find. A quality instructor.

Anyways, as far as schools go, if you're west of Toronto, check the following airports;

- Hamilton
- Burlington
- Guelph
- Kitchiner/Waterloo
- Brampton

East of the city;

- Oshawa
- Markham
- Buttonville
- Island Airport

FL470
20th Mar 2008, 21:04
sorry, my mistake: The training area is west of Orangeville!

It's been a while since I've trained in Toronto (7 years)...

Chuck Ellsworth
21st Mar 2008, 02:35
Skywards747

The best advice I can give you is flying schools are factories that churn out a product that meets the minimum standard that Transport Canada requires.

How your son is taught depends more on the individual instructor than the school.

It is a real zoo out there if you are looking for quality because to get quality in flying instruction you need to find quality instructors....ask around and see what they are getting paid and their experience level and from that you should be able to judge the quality or more likely the lack thereof.

Find a school, keep track of his progress and if there are problems find another instructor....get him through the factory as fast as possible so he can get the piece of paper that says he is a licensed pilot....then pray they have taught him enough to keep him alive while he learns how to survive as a pilot.

poprivet
28th Mar 2008, 14:11
Did PPL at Burlington and CPL at Brampton .Great places to fly in 1986-87. I remember the burger lunches in Brantford, Muskoka etc. with great affection. many happy memories.:D

atpl53
29th Mar 2008, 23:26
I taught at Brampton for 2 years. I consider them to be innovative and one of the more technologically advanced flight centres. Their modular ground school system is unique. The sim is state-of-the-art. Instructors are the most important link. Talk to the CFI and ask for the best instructor. They will be very, very, very busy (the best ones always are).

The circuit can get very busy in the summer. Early, early morning or late day works best. Aircraft are kept in top shape.

I also taught at Waterloo. Great airport. Good club. I can still recommend career instructors who are great. Terribly jammed in the summer with the Air Cadet contracts. Tower on the field.

Toujours
10th Jan 2009, 01:56
Okay - one has a PPL with 60 hours. How much canadian dollars will it take on average to obtain a CPL, multi engine rating and multi-instrument rating?

How long will it take roughly?

tractor007
10th Jan 2009, 20:11
Toujours, it will roughly cost an additional 40-45K CAD to meet the CPL requirements, ME and MI Rating, plus Written Exam Fees and Flight Test Examiner ($300+).

Time wise, it depends on your availability. I have seen people go from 0hrs to CPL with Multi-instrument Rating in a matter of 7-12 months

rd0408
12th Jan 2009, 02:44
Heard she is with Transport Canada. Not sure if she is at the Toronto office or not.

sufi
4th Jan 2011, 18:30
Toronto airways seems to be the best . they have a large number of fleets . veryyyyy good airport (controlled) , they own their airport . good simulators . they also give you a job after training , they says !! nd alot of facilities . very big school !:)

I am planning to go in toronto airways ! i am a international student in canada . and will join toronto airways after couple of months . guys i really need your advices on this . what should i do ? should i go there ? i am intrested . because they seem to be very impressive !:) bundle of thanx in advance !:)

achuxtreme
16th Jun 2014, 18:09
are you in toronto airways limited?

J.O.
17th Jun 2014, 21:52
Umm, this was over 4 years ago.