PDA

View Full Version : 3000 Planes Grounded

marty1468
13th Mar 2008, 05:55
Anyone know anything about this?

3,000 planes to be grounded with fault

Thursday Mar 13 16:33 AEDT
As many as 3,000 small aircraft will be grounded in Australia from midnight after US authorities detected a fault in planes which can cause engine failure, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) says.
The major airlines are not affected but some smaller airlines which ferry miners to remote outposts may be grounded.
Many makes and models are affected by the fuel injection problem which was found by US authorities overnight, a CASA spokesman told AAP.
http://ninemsn.com.au/Share/ads/a.gifhttp://ninemsn.com.au/9msnshared/images/space.gifhttp://ad.au.doubleclick.net/ad/N3197.NineMSN/B2616829;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;ord=1205387630494?"We have acted on it very quickly," the spokesman said.

lostwingnut
13th Mar 2008, 06:28
Sounds like fun!

Where did you find this news article?
Be interesting to find out who wrote it, where it came from.

It will also be worth finding out what aircraft are involved. Although there has been nothing on the news so far.

This wingnut is always lost :-) (or simply behind everyone else)

Kanga767
13th Mar 2008, 06:30
Perhaps something to do with AD/FSM/31?

K

david1300
13th Mar 2008, 06:49
From a news report just posted a few minutes ago:

"AS many as 3000 small aircraft will be grounded in Australia from midnight after US authorities detected a fault in planes which can cause engine failure, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) says.

The major airlines are not affected but some smaller airlines which ferry miners to remote outposts may be grounded.
Many makes and models are affected by the fuel injection problem which was found by US authorities overnight, a CASA spokesman said.
"We have acted on it very quickly," the spokesman said."

Sourced here: http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/stories/1994715.php

Allan L
13th Mar 2008, 07:21
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23368912-29277,00.html

Excerpts below:
Many makes and models are affected by the fuel injection problem which was found by US authorities overnight, a CASA spokesman said.
US authorities have recorded 18 incidents of a gasket inside the fuel injection system failing on some Lycoming engines, some Teledyne Continental reciprocating engines and some Superior Airparts reciprocating engines.
The engines need to have been rebuilt, serviced, overhauled, repaired or bought new since August 22, 2006 to be affected by the grounding.
The frustration for small operators will be compounded by CASA's decision to stop any affected plane from flying to a maintenance base to have the problem fixed.
"It's going to lead to some aircraft being stranded, mainly in remote areas,'' the spokesman said.
The CASA airworthiness directive is absolute.
"Aircraft are not to be repositioned until compliance with airworthiness directive has been accomplished,'' the directive says.

Jenna Talia
13th Mar 2008, 07:24
Here is the CASA link: http://www.casa.gov.au/airworth/airwd/NEW/urgent.htm

JT

bonez
13th Mar 2008, 07:26
Melbourne Herald-Sun has a bit more.....

March 13, 2008 04:55pm

AS many as 3000 small aircraft will be grounded in Australia from midnight after US authorities detected a fault in planes which can cause engine failure.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) says major airlines are not affected but some smaller airlines which ferry miners to remote outposts may be grounded.

"We have acted on it very quickly," the spokesman said.

The fuel injection problem is easy to fix but potentially deadly, the spokesman said.

"They won't be on the ground for a huge amount of time (but) it can potentially lead to engine failure."

CASA wrote to about 1400 operators this morning, alerting them to the problem.

US authorities have recorded 18 incidents of a gasket inside the fuel injection system failing on some Lycoming engines, some Teledyne Continental reciprocating engines and some Superior Airparts reciprocating engines.

The engines need to have been rebuilt, serviced, overhauled, repaired or bought new since August 22, 2006 to be affected by the grounding.

The frustration for small operators will be compounded by CASA's decision to stop any affected plane from flying to a maintenance base to have the problem fixed.

"It's going to lead to some aircraft being stranded, mainly in remote areas," the spokesman said.

The CASA airworthiness directive is absolute.

"Aircraft are not to be repositioned until compliance with airworthiness directive has been accomplished," the directive says.

ForkTailedDrKiller
13th Mar 2008, 07:35
Ohhhhh, big mess! I know a couple of aircraft that are stuck in the middle of nowhere!

Go the IO520!

Dr :8

Lasiorhinus
13th Mar 2008, 07:36
To my non-engineering background, the absolute prohibition on positioning flights seems a tad excessive, to me.

Oh well - better get all that positioning done by midnight. (Midnight UTC, right? :E )

Kanga767
13th Mar 2008, 07:48
Out of interest, can one certify for an AD before it's effective date?

K

Jabawocky
13th Mar 2008, 08:36
Gumy allbuggerup!:uhoh:

PS. Wont affect Chimbu Chuckles too much.......his Bo is probably still in bits anyway. Will be cheaper to get to though:}

Brian Abraham
13th Mar 2008, 10:29
Due to some screw backing out of the thing.

Edited to add http://www.casa.gov.au/airworth/airwd/ADfiles/equip/fsm/fsm-031.pdf

ForkTailedDrKiller
13th Mar 2008, 11:07
The FTDK is not affected.

I guess there is not going to be much traffic about tomorrow!

Dr :8

Cap'n Arrr
13th Mar 2008, 11:21
Didn't read in too much detail, but by the looks of it thats most fuel injected engines in Aus.:eek: On the flip side, as long as companies can get an engineer out to inspect each aircraft, it shouldn't be too big a problem, provided the inspection reveals nothing wrong.

Mr Milk
13th Mar 2008, 11:23
Could this have something to do with precision airmotive going broke last year?

Bendo
13th Mar 2008, 13:15
IO 520's not affected so the C206/7/10, C310, Barons etc all fine.

Not sogood for the Sheeftens! - and what about GAM's fleet?:eek:

Gordstar
13th Mar 2008, 20:46
I reckon that given the speed of the action and the considerable amount of thought given to this directive in Canberra, :ugh:, there will be a few sore knees in the fair capital land after all that jerking......:uhoh:

bentleg
13th Mar 2008, 21:29
IO 520's not affected so the C206/7/10, C310, Barons etc all fine

The AD says all Lycoming IO's regardless of displacement are affected. Why would IO 520's be excluded? Do they not have the Precision Airmotive servo? Or are C206 etc not Lycoming?

SmokingHole
13th Mar 2008, 21:35
Continentals ol'son

bentleg
13th Mar 2008, 21:49
I find it incredible that they wont allow Joe Average outback station owner with a 172 in the shed fly it to a LAME to be looked at.

Do they seriously expect Joe average to pay for a LAME to go to some of these far flung places?

Stationair8
13th Mar 2008, 22:10
Bentleg, its called I work for Casa and live in CB syndrome.
Shake a tree in the outback and 20 engineers fall out.

Dick Smith
13th Mar 2008, 22:17
I cannot see any equivalent AD in the USA (i.e. the grounding of all aircraft). Of course the problem would be 15 times more serious there, as there is 15 times the number of aircraft. Does this mean the FAA are looking at the matter in a different way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bilbert
13th Mar 2008, 23:04
The FAA issued an "Emergency AD" effective "On Receipt" AD 2008-06-51.

I do have a problem with the AD. Quote "the servo plug gasket .. can shrink from engine heat, causing the plug to lose torque ... allowing the plug to vibrate out". Well the plug is supposed to be lockwired. You have to cut it to remove the plug for inspection of the threads!!??.

The AD allows the existing gasket to be reused?? If its faulty why?.

The press reports 3000 a/c in danger of engine failure. 18 incidents reported in the US. Any actual engine failures?.

Surely compliance within 2 hrs flight or 7 days would have alleviated the impact.

No one in CASA will lose his job for causing major economic damage and GA safety perception impact of issuing this AD and the press release, but then he could lose his job if he didn't.

thunderbird five
13th Mar 2008, 23:07
"The issuing of this AD is intended to prevent a lean running engine, which could result in a substantial loss of engine power and subsequent loss of control of the aeroplane."

HOLY SMOKE!!!!!!! I didn't know running lean could make me lose control!!! I never got taught that in flight school.:eek:

"No Special Flight Permits"? err... CASA... THIS is what they are for, according to YOUR own manual.:uhoh:

Since aircraft operators (not LAMEs) are responsible for AD compliance, how would some flyer on tour out in the sticks get to find out about this AD? He/she wouldn't, most likely.

The 18 FAA reports - did they all come out of the one workshop?

Chief Air
13th Mar 2008, 23:25
Late model cessna 182/206 have lycoming engines so they will be affected if they have the Precision fuel servo's fitted.

senshi
14th Mar 2008, 00:48
Well done CASA. If I hadn't seen the news last night, I'd still be burning around in a potentially unsafe aeroplane. I suppose this shouldn't surprise people..

CitationJet
14th Mar 2008, 00:58
CASA's AD is a direct copy of the FAA one. No local thought went into it.

Even down to the requirement that after initial compliance the inspection must be carried out every 50 hours of engine time or at every oil change.

Obviously no one in the FAA or CASA gave any thought to the thousands of aircraft owners who legally perform their own oil changes and will now have to call in a LAME each time to sign off an inspection on their fuel injection system as well.

Walrus 7
14th Mar 2008, 00:59
For Immediate Release 14 March 2008

CASA Airworthiness Directive AD/FSM/31

AOPA condemns the sensationalism of the latest CASA press release, “grounding up to 3,000 small planes”.

AOPA President Col Rodgers said: “This is typical CASA over-regulation and over-reaction. They have once again tried to destroy the public’s confidence in General Aviation with emotional and sensational statements”

The truth of the matter is that possibly up to 200 Australian aircraft may be fitted with engines that were manufactured or overhauled within the affected date range. No instances of this particular component failure have been recorded in Australia to date. This AD is based on one issued by the FAA in the USA, and has been re-issued, unchanged, by CASA.

AOPA also questions CASA’s blanket insistence that the preliminary inspection of the component for looseness must be performed by a Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (LAME). Affected aircraft may be located at remote or isolated airfields, and to state that they must be stranded “until an engineer can be flown out to inspect the aircraft” shows just how out of touch CASA is with the realities of General Aviation. CAA NZ has also issued an AD for the same issue but has removed the requirement for initial inspection by a LAME.

Mr Rodgers said: “In contrast, aviation in New Zealand is thriving, and this is one example why – the regulator is working to encourage General Aviation, rather than to stifle it.”

After an urgent appeal by AOPA to Greg Vaughan, CASA’s General Manager General Aviation, arrangements are being put in place to permit pilots to undertake the initial assessment, and fly the aircraft to a maintenance facility if necessary.

“Greg Vaughan is a breath of fresh air in CASA, and we are pleased to be able to work with him,” said Mr Rodgers, “but he is having difficulties against the older culture still prevalent in CASA that is reactive and heavy handed. This has to change, for the betterment of GA.”

For More Information:
Tim Blatch
Chief Executive Officer
0411 156 123 [email protected]

Col Rodgers
President
0407 267 200 [email protected]

tinpis
14th Mar 2008, 01:02
This is a job for "Superman"
The Hon Anthony Albanese :)

Stationair8
14th Mar 2008, 01:49
So Mr Gibson another one of your great efforts to help GA!!!

Numerous phone-calls from the media regarding are you still operating and are your aircraft grounded?

Anyone know how Tasair, King Island Airlines, GAM and Tasfast got on with this little problem?

BEACH KING
14th Mar 2008, 02:37
You can just about bet that GAM were on top of it as soon as the AD was announced.

Glad the Bo has an IO520... our local LAME is away for a while. Could have caused me & C185 Skywagon and others here some big drama if this engine was affected.

LeadSled
14th Mar 2008, 03:30
All,
Have a look, about now, for a revised version, including an instrument to allow a pilot to do the Stage1 inspection ---- due out about 1400AEST.

You don't need to be a LAME to work out that, if you can move the plug with your fingers, the plug is loose.

I would rather like to think that you might see the head of a certain CASA PR person rolling down Black Mountain.

At least the EGM/GA has done the right thing, as soon as he found out what had happened, try and imagine where we would be if the place was still dominated by the old guard. In reality, probably about 20-100 aircraft are in the frame.

Nothing like a bit of exaggeration to show how CASA is protecting the public from the threat of aviation.

Tootle pip !!

Capt Wally
14th Mar 2008, 03:48
That's just great, don't fly it 'till an engineer checks it out, "land Mavrick, you are instructed to land, land imeadiatley", check what out? a loose plug....sheeeez there's more 'loose' plugs at CASA than anywhere on an airframe! As some mentioned here what about those that had not seen nor heard of this emergency AD 'cause they where/are 'away'? They would be the ones for sure who would fall out of the sky & CASA would say, there told ya so!
The only way they (CASA) backed off the screws a little( better check their torque as well!) was thru common sense but not before they once again justified their jobs. Well done to those that made it right. Wouldn't it be great to have a vote for who runs the Aviation industry rather than we (pilots engineers etc) are told who's running the circus! Aren't we about due for a name change? Should start a competition for a new name for CASA, we would all die laughing from the Eg's supplied by us !:E Surely they have just printed a zillions $'s worth of new stationary!

CW

P.S. would be nice to know if anyone out there finds this loose plug so we could perhaps get some feedback.

Walrus 7
14th Mar 2008, 03:51
The stupid thing about not letting the pilot check the plug in the inspection is that most pilots I would have thought would do just that in any pre-flight!

Walrus

spanner90
14th Mar 2008, 03:52
And while you're at it, why not do a major service on the BMW in your driveway....

Oh that's right, you have to have factory approval to do that. That means you have to have years of ENGINEERING training.

The vast majority of aircraft owners are very responsible, competent people. I just keep meeting the few who would repair an aircraft with a piece of fencing wire, then drive their expensive, luxury car to the factory dealer for a service. And not bitch about paying $140- per hour....

Apologies for the rant, a little tired of owners crying poor.:(

Prepared for incoming, over.

Capt Wally
14th Mar 2008, 04:05
nah that's fine 'spanner', we need engineers most times. But if there's a way to save 10 cents then some will spend a dollar to do it! That's why they drive that expensive car (BMW, that's pretty common so nothing flash there) because they use cheap fencing wire where they can get away with it in order to keep da flash wheels!

BTW Dick Smith how's the 'rally' shaping up at yr ranch? Ready for the boys & their toys?:bored:

CW

Dick Smith
14th Mar 2008, 04:51
Shhhhh! Isn't it supposed to be a secret?

bentleg
14th Mar 2008, 06:15
I find it incredible that they wont allow Joe Average outback station owner with a 172 in the shed fly it to a LAME to be looked at.

Do they seriously expect Joe average to pay for a LAME to go to some of these far flung places?

CASA have now agreed to repositioning flights. Here is the link (http://www.casa.gov.au/rules/miscinst/2008/CASAEX20.pdf).

Some commonsense at last..... Thank you AOPA.

Capt Wally
14th Mar 2008, 09:22
yeh Dick how about slipping down the the local PM box & clearing out the junk mail there !:)

CW

Pinky the pilot
14th Mar 2008, 09:32
Saw on the ABC TV news this evening, someone shown holding a fuel injection unit and pointing to the said plug which appears to be the problem.

Admittedly it was only shown for about one second but the plug appeared to be lockwired!!

If indeed it it, then can someone explain just what the problem is??:confused:

thunderbird five
14th Mar 2008, 10:38
Has nobody noticed that within the AD, there is no requirement, or even a polite request, to notify CASA of all the loose plugs found in this oh-so-critical-let's-ground-a shirtload-of-planes AD, so CASA has absolutely no way to collect data on this! They will never know if none, one, or a hundred were found.:D

bentleg
14th Mar 2008, 10:46
can someone explain just what the problem is

The plug works loose notwithstanding the lock-wiring. That allows air to be admitted resulting in too lean running and then possible engine failure, or fuel starvation. Have a read of the CASA AD (http://www.casa.gov.au/airworth/airwd/ADfiles/equip/fsm/fsm-031.pdf)and the later exemption (http://www.casa.gov.au/rules/miscinst/2008/CASAEX20.pdf) which explain it in more detail.

Clearedtoreenter
14th Mar 2008, 11:03
Hey Spanner, you want to know why some folk will pay $140 to get their Beamer serviced? Its probably because they get VALUE for it!

Here's an example. Took my plane to LAME 1 for a minor exhaust mount repair. Lots of sharp intakes of breath and oh dear cannot do that now, will take a lot messing around, will be at least 1/2 day, plus parts, plus plus plus -oh and cannot do it for at least a week. Can I fly the plane in the meantime? Well, not really, but that's up to you.

Go to LAME 2. Yeah mate, no worries will be about 1/2 an hour, will do it now - a little bit of fabrication and literally 5 minutes labour to remove and replace and I was on my way!

There are some type 2's but far too many type 1's - and too many times are we conned by them. I cannot tell you how many times I've left an aircraft on trust, to be told it will take (say) a day, only to find they get stuck straight into it so there's no possibility of you removing your dissassembled property - and then it just sits there - maybe for a week - or a month. In contrast. your BMW dealer , does what he said he would, for the fixed price set by the factory, in the time he said he would. That's why folk pay $140/hour. Its called honest, professional service!

Westaussielame
14th Mar 2008, 12:51
Hi thunderbird five ,your freindly LAME is required report all defects found whilst carrying out any AD in the form of service difficulty report found online at the CASA website.
these are then printed in the next crash comic and also online at the CASA website.
The aircraft numbers involved are actually very small as its only those whose fuel injector servo has been new, replaced /overhauled since mid last year.
Most aircraft with these model servos fitted were eliminated by a quick check of the engine log book.

bushy
14th Mar 2008, 14:15
Dont you fellows realise that all those thousands of aeroplanes know what the date is, and they are all planning to have an engine failure at midnight?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Mar 2008, 14:36
Nah Bushy......

That date is seventeen days away yet................:confused::confused:

Dick Smith
14th Mar 2008, 21:59
Congratulations AOPA, a job well done.

VH-Cheer Up
14th Mar 2008, 22:42
Latest from the ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/15/2190294.htm)

Trash Hauler
15th Mar 2008, 01:14
can someone explain just what the problem is

Further to bentleg's explanation, the service bulletin lists two cases where the plug had completely separated from the housing despite the presence of lockwire. The separation was due to a change in gasket material with the new material shrinking in the heat and allowing the plug to vibrate resulting in damaged threads. This explains why the check is required despite the fact the plug is lockwired.

service bulletin (http://www.casa.gov.au/airworth/inject/PRS-107.pdf).

TH

VH-Cheer Up
15th Mar 2008, 01:48
Congratulations AOPA, a job well done.

Do I detect the very slightest smidgen of sarcasm?

Old Akro
15th Mar 2008, 06:34
This thread has missed a few points.

Firstly, the Precision Airmotive Mandatory Service Bulletin was released on March 6. CASA released its AD on March 13. If it really is this urgent why did they wait for 7 days? The press statement refered to overnight developments. CASA must be imagining this. Or is overnight = 7 days in their time frame?

Secondly, it only affects injected engines rebuilt or servo's rebuilt after 22 Aug 2006. I'm guessing the CASA figure of 3,000 aircraft is all injected piston aircraft. If engines are rebuilt (on average) at 10 years, then it will be less than 600 aircraft that will are affected. Using the 3,000 figure can only be a grab for sensationalism by CASA.

Thirdly, Precision airmotive say there have been 2 incidents. Where did CASA get the other 16? see: http://www.precisionairmotive.com/Publications/PRS-107%20Rev1.pdf

Fourthly, CASA AD/FSM/31 says no repositioning will be allowed, but the next day they allow repositioning if pilots make the simple check that Precision Airmotive detail in their MSB.

Exactly what are CASA on? Are they just feeling neglected and wanted to get press attention? Or are they really as incompetent as this makes them look? How much has it cost us for them to repeat the Precion MSB in a fractured way that then required amendment?

airmuster
15th Mar 2008, 08:13
Aaawwww sheeeet,

I've been flying around all day and now find out that my engine should have stopped. Well, I don't watch the telly much... too busy... the paper arrives once a week and the radio doesn't work out here as the Govt wont repair the transmitter.

Oh well I'll get my pair of fencing pliers out and the hammer.... see if I can fix it...... wish me luck.

Oh ..... our LAME is on a 4 week holiday and no one is able to get here as they are grounded also.

:ugh::E

kookabat
15th Mar 2008, 09:56
FWIW it took us about 15min per aeroplane (three needing to be looked at) to do the required inspection yesterday morning, while waiting for the fog to lift.

Admittedly we were at Camden where an engineer was on site by 0700 so that made things decidedly easier.

Bob Murphie
15th Mar 2008, 23:49
Notwithstanding the exemption to reposition, AD/FSM/31 clearly states this AD can only be carried out and signed for by a LAME. Requirement number 2 is repeating requirement number 1 (by a LAME), at every oil change or within 50 hours of engine run time whichever occurs first.

Does this mean an Owner/ Operator of those aircraft now in the focus must now have oil changes done only by a LAME?

Andy_RR
16th Mar 2008, 02:52
The Precision service bulletin says:

Precision Airmotive has determined that the gasket...
...can shrink from engine heat which can cause the hex plug to lose torque against the regulator cover. The material in these gaskets was changed beginning August 22, 2006 and the gaskets that have been identified as experiencinig shrinkage were all comprised of the new gasket material

then it goes on to say:

Continued Action Required: Until a long term solution is found, continue periodic inspections to determine if the hex plug is loose

Well, am I being stupid, or is there a solution to the problem in there somewhere? Why would you not reinstate the old gasket material? More to the point, why was it changed without sufficient testing to verify its suitability?

A

Bob Murphie
16th Mar 2008, 08:01
The key words are "continuous action/ long term solution".

AD cancelling sealed struts solved one problem world wide but what will it take to cancell this one? In the meantime perhaps only LAME"s can sign a daily inspection or an oil change?

The concept of replacing a gasket with a proven one is too simplistic, can't we make this more difficult?

Trash Hauler
16th Mar 2008, 12:05
Bob Murphy asked Does this mean an Owner/ Operator of those aircraft now in the focus must now have oil changes done only by a LAME?

Don't think so as the oil change is covered under pilot maintenance however the AD is not.

TH

spanner90
17th Mar 2008, 02:50
For the size-challenged brains...(otherwise known as "To Whom It May Concern")

Take the time to read the FAA AD, released 24 hours before CASA's version, then perhaps you will rethink the Aus AD.

CASA has taken every step to facilitate owners/operators. ie positioning flights, and PIC inspections, both of which the FAA have not allowed.

I know it seems like a sport to abuse CASA and its staff, but put the shoe on the other foot, and imagine the abuse they would get if a bug-smasher landed the middle of Parramatta/St Kilda with a fuel servo problem...

On another note, I would like to see the statistics, ie number inspected, failure rate etc. In this case, the SDR isn't enough.

Sunfish
17th Mar 2008, 03:35
I have carefully read the CASA Exemption and note that it contains approximately 40 paragraphs, depending on how you count them, most of which is ass covering legal bull****, to coin a term.

In essence, it states, according to my feeble intellect.

1. Determine if you have one of these devices on an engine on your aircraft.

2.If you do, then as a pilot, wiggle it both ways with your fingers and check the lockwires.

3. If it's not loose after doing step (2) you may make the shortest and most direct positioning flight to the closest place where a LAME can check it properly, obeying regulations on the way.

4. Flight must be with minimum crew from which written informed consent has been received. No business purpose for the flight.

Why has the practice of Aviation regulation been contaminated with such stunningly inefficient, time consuming, wasteful, prolix, obtuse, and no doubt highly expensive legal bull**** contained in the other 36 paras?

Pinky the pilot
17th Mar 2008, 03:41
Why has the practice of Aviation regulation been contaminated with such stunningly inefficient, time consuming, wasteful, prolix, obtuse, and no doubt highly expensive legal bull****?

Because these days it seems that some people will litigate at any opportunity and the once respected Legal fraternity are now completely money driven!:yuk:

Hence CASA will go to any length to cover their arses and bugger the rest of us!!:mad::mad:

Thanks Bentleg.:ok:

Sunfish
17th Mar 2008, 03:55
Andy:

Well, am I being stupid, or is there a solution to the problem in there somewhere? Why would you not reinstate the old gasket material? More to the point, why was it changed without sufficient testing to verify its suitability?

Why not reinstate the old material? Probably because either the old one is out of production or the new one is supposed to be cheaper and better.

Why was it changed without sufficient testing? Please define "sufficient testing" in this context. Two actual failures occurred, both at around the 200 hour mark, out of God knows how many thousands of engine hours since August 2006. When we know exactly how many are actually loose (suggested US figure is about 18), we can examine the probability distribution and calculate whether the testing Precision Airmotive undoubtedly did, or any testing for that matter, would have detected the problem.

Stationair8
17th Mar 2008, 06:33
Wonder how CASA would have reacted or handled the situation if it had been an AD for Boeing or Airbus??

In GA's case, CASA sticks it up you until your nosebleeds and then charges you for the pleasure.

I suppose if you work for CASA in Canberra and the big planes are flying in and out of YSCB and you can access the Qantas frequent Flyer Club everything must be okay in the aviation world, bugger anyone out in the sticks!

airmuster
17th Mar 2008, 08:38
There was less publicity to the fact that Conti and Lycs were having crankshaft concerns a few moons ago.

Are we missing something here!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: