PDA

View Full Version : Comet Racer G-ACSS Replica

LowNSlow
12th Mar 2008, 09:14
I was dragged kicking and screaming to the Galleria in Hatfield recently and discovered that the full size replica of the lovely Comet which was suspended from the roof over the South end has disappeared. Does anybody have any idea where it went too?

Now the only commemoration of this wonderful Hatfield machine (at Hatfield)is the small Comet-on-a-stick outside the Comet pub.

gareth herts
12th Mar 2008, 09:19
Crikey - I worked in there when I was at college and remember when it opened. It was a good replica too............hope it's still in one piece.

Warmtoast
13th Mar 2008, 17:37
full size replica of the lovely Comet which was suspended from the roof over the South end has disappeared.Very much earlier in 1951 on the way from RAF Hednesford to Southampton, I together with others in Rhodesia Draft 2128 on the way to the join the liner that was to convey us to the Rhodesian Air Training Group, had time to spare at Waterloo and visited the the Festival of Britain exhibition on the site adjacent to Waterloo station, the date from my diary shows it was Wednesday 18th July.

The photos show the outside of the Transport Hall with railway locomotives, among other exhibits on show and inside in the tall glass-fronted aviation gallery there was a Schneider Trophy Supermarine S.6 seaplane and DH88 Comet 1930's racer on display.

Not sure whether these were the original aircraft or replicas, but they certainly drew the crowds. If they were the originals what happened to them when the Festival of Britain closed?
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/FestivalofBritain-18thJuly1951-Tran.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/FestivalofBritain-18thJuly1951-T-1.jpg

Africrash
14th Mar 2008, 10:05
Hi

I believe the Schneider trophy S6 is the one now in the Science museum in London, the comet was subsequently rebuilt at BAE by apprentices and is at Shuttleworth trust in flying condition.

Crash

FAStoat
14th Mar 2008, 11:33
Yes,they were the Originals at the 51 Festival of Britain.I was there too with my parents.There are 2 S6 Variants,one at the Science Museum and one at the Southampton Museum of Aviation.I seem to remember one is a S6 painted as a S6b for the" First of the Few".Which is which I am not sure.The Comet is the result of Bob or John Roberts/Ron Paine collaboration with Aerospace.A Total rebuild with Ron acting for Shuttleworth,until a misunderstanding made him leave the project.Shuttleworth Members of "Propswing" contributed ,together with various original manufactures and the bulk of the restoration was done at Hatfield.I was flying Ron Paines Hawk Speed 6 for Shuttleworth at the time,so had various trips to Heathrow/Old Warden with parts for painting etc.I think the runway lengths at Old Warden have been especially lenthened to cope with into wind landings for it-there was discussions over originality of Tail skid or Tail wheel,which may have been responsible for some of the landing faux pas that have befallen it?

Duxford_Eagles
2nd Apr 2008, 07:24
The Galleria Comet replica is now at Salisbury Hall.

Blacksheep
2nd Apr 2008, 09:29
BTW, Salisbury Hall is just off the M25 near London Colney and well worth a visit. They need as much support as they can get. :ok:

sedburgh
2nd Apr 2008, 09:49
I believe the Schneider trophy S6 is the one now in the Science museum in London,No, its the one now in Solent Sky in Southampton - S.6a N248, painted at that time as S.6b S1596 '7' .

... There are 2 S6 Variants,one at the Science Museum and one at the Southampton Museum of Aviation.I seem to remember one is a S6 painted as a S6b for the" First of the Few".Which is which I am not sure.The Science Museum aircraft is S.6b S1596, this is one of the two built new for the 1931 contest and is the machine in which Boothman won, the Southampton example is S.6a serial number N248 which was built as an S.6 for the 1929 contest and flown by Atcherley, it was then modified as S.6a for the 1931 contest ( longer floats, more powerful engine, increased cooling ) but not used in the 'race' as Boothman won unopposed. It was stored and then used in the film 'The First of the Few' after which its true identity was lost and for many years was assumed to be the second S.6b S1596. After delivery to the R J MItchell Memorial Museum in Southampton in 1976 its correct identity came to light and it was repainted with its proper markings.

LowNSlow
2nd Apr 2008, 10:37
I'm glad it's gone to a good home at least. Memo to self: drive the 6 miles to Salisbury Hall sometime soon!

BruceGordon
2nd Apr 2008, 14:09
Sadly, it had to be cut into pieces to get it out of the building.

It remains in store

Bruce

Fareastdriver
2nd Apr 2008, 14:26
If it had to be cut into pieces to get it out of the building, how did they get it in in one piece?

LowNSlow
2nd Apr 2008, 16:28
Was it literally cut up or was it disassembled?

spekesoftly
30th Apr 2008, 10:35
It remains in storeAccording to the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre's website (Aircraft in Collection) the DH88 Comet replica is a restoration project, but on display.

JEM60
30th Apr 2008, 13:58
Although, of course, not the same replica, there is in fact a flyable replica, looking absolutely exact, except that it has a tail wheel. I think it is based at Flabob Airport in California, but I have seen it at Oshkosh on two separate visits.

Bill16STN
30th Apr 2008, 19:34
The original G-ACSS (Grosvenor House) will be taxied at Old Warden this Sunday (04.05.2008) just for your info, it's the first display of the season for the Shuttleworth Collection.

Duxford_Eagles
30th Apr 2008, 22:09
According to the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre's website (Aircraft in Collection) the DH88 Comet replica is a restoration project, but on display.

There are two dH88 Comet replicas at Salisbury hall. One which was used in the film "The Great Air Race" which is under restoration. The other is the Galleria example which is in store.

Mike Shreeve posted some excellent air to air photos of the US flying replica HERE (http://forum.planetalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=5973)

BEagle
1st May 2008, 06:36
Right - that'll be me going to Old Warden this Sunday then!

I hope everyone will ask "When will G-ACSS next fly?" The original date was 2002, if I recall correctly, but although restoration has been completed, there has been little news of the Comet in recent years.

I once encountered G-ACSS in flight somewhere near Benson in the early 1990s as I was pottering along in one of HM's Bulldogs. What an utterly fantastic sight!

poss
1st May 2008, 09:19
Thanks for posting that link Duxford, such a gorgeous aeroplane and some really breath taking shots of it.

BEagle
4th May 2008, 18:10
Unfortunately the maintenance folk at Old Warden weren't able to get the Comet ready for today. Sitting in the hangar with all cowlings off and the nose fairing off.

Still, it was yet another excellent day out!

Duxford_Eagles
4th May 2008, 21:30
The Comet's been extracted fom the back of the hangar and she spent some time outdoors after the public had departed.

Bill16STN
18th May 2008, 16:16
Okay okay so it didn't happen when expected.

However on a grass strip somewhere in Bedfordshire yesterday evening (Note: This is the real one!) ....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2062/2502156974_bc56debc27.jpg

.... weather was poo though!

Mark22
24th May 2008, 13:50
Comet racers - they are everywhere! :)

Here is one I photographed in New Zealand last month.

PeterA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/Img_2784a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/Img_2763a.jpg

BEagle
24th May 2008, 20:25
Aaarrghhh - thanks, Bill16STN!

I rather think I've just had a 'trouser moment'...:ooh: