PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Italy, Any tips?

stocker
11th Mar 2008, 13:37
I am taking my motorcycle to Italy this summer for a month or so but dont want to miss out on any flying time.
Anyone got any tips or info on flying clubs or strips with hotels or B&B on the doorstep.

Ivor_Novello
11th Mar 2008, 16:59
Italy's a big country and there's lots of flying clubs or strips.
It all depends where you going to be based, I know the North-West quite well and have been to few airfields and all were excellent.
I have no idea about the South of the country, it's a bit more rural and some remote places might not have the same facilities.

PM me if you want more info

Legalapproach
11th Mar 2008, 20:40
Where are you planning on going?

XX621
11th Mar 2008, 21:15
I was planning to do the very same (again!) Rode around Tuscany on a Ducati last year..there is a very pleasant strip just to the east of the Lucca I can recommend if you're in that area at any point.

IO540
11th Mar 2008, 21:17
For Italy, 3 things you must always do before going somewhere

1) Phone the destination and check they are open and have avgas
2) Phone the destination and check they are open and have avgas
3) Phone the destination and check they are open and have avgas

:)

In Italian aviation, nothing happens as expected.

p.s. make sure they not only have avgas but will also sell it to you. Often it is published as 'available' but really it is for private use of the based aeroclub only. A bribe may take care of it, but only if there is somebody around to receive the bribe.

AfricanEagle
11th Mar 2008, 22:03
Stocker,

lots of airstrips in Italy, mostly microlight.

PPL flying clubs nearly all based at airports, main activity during weekends, most closed on Mondays.

Tuscany and Umbria regions have quite a few airstrips with excellent b&bs. Others available in other regions but no first hand experience.

If you come just south of Rome I can organize.

What do you fly?

IO540, things are as you say but you must come down more often and get used to the Italian ways :)

stocker
12th Mar 2008, 09:07
Umbria is the region I will be spending most of the time but really we will be all over.

stocker
12th Mar 2008, 09:09
Mostly I fly c172, Tomohawk or Warrior but to be honest the holiday is mainly a motorcycling holiday with the flying being a bonus so all flights will probably be Pu/t and I will fly anything.

Legalapproach
12th Mar 2008, 16:19
From Umbria its not too far to cut across to Fano on the Adriatic. Nice airfield with a good restaurant. Plenty of hotels and accomodation nearby and you can fly a Siai Marchetti SF 260!

stocker
12th Mar 2008, 16:41
that sounds more like it, motorbikes,planes and a good feed perfect.
thanks.