PDA

View Full Version : Sep-slmg

micromalc
11th Mar 2008, 08:52
Got my gliding license, got my microlight license, got my SEP license.....Ah!
What about the SLMG? So off I trot and do a conversion course on a Super
Dimona. What an amazing experience, beautiful aircraft to fly(except for the position of the foot-brakes)found out what the rudder actually does, and those air-brakes,boy, it comes down like an express lift. All-in-all most gratifying, I will most certainly be spreading my flying between SEP's and SLMG's from now on.
Anyone else had similar experiences?

kestrel539
11th Mar 2008, 09:31
Gliding license??????

micromalc
11th Mar 2008, 10:29
ok......they were certs and badges.......it was a long time ago....

shortstripper
11th Mar 2008, 12:41
Well I fly a SEP and a Slingsby Cadet Motorglider, but that's about as far removed from a Super Dimona (both SLMG's) as a Clutton FRED is from a PA28 (both SEP's).

The great thing with flying motorgliders is that apart from the fun of just flying them, you can usually fly into gliding clubs as well :ok:

SS

ChampChump
11th Mar 2008, 13:59
Shortstripper, you forgot to mention the relative costs - most unlike you.

I only flew the Dimona/Katana once or twice. As SS said, it's a long way from the Slingsby or spamcan generics as can be. None the worse for that, if one can afford it. Having experienced gliders & SLMG & SEP - vaguely in that order, with vast overlaps, I'm convinced that affordable fixed-wing anything has to be flown. The problem is deciding when it becomes unaffordable. Before or after one sells the house?