PDA

View Full Version : Dorset Flying Club

betterfromabove
6th Mar 2008, 09:43
Anyone know these guys? Was hoping to rent a 172 & was wondering if they were good guys to use....

BFA

jez d
15th Mar 2008, 12:54
One man band run by Ian Gumbrell. Nice chap and definitely on the level. You may want to take earplugs however - he could talk the spats off a cessna:E

betterfromabove
15th Mar 2008, 15:23
Spoke to Ian a little while ago & can confirm all the above...:ok:

Seems he's running a single HR200 right now.

BFA

Mowgli
31st Oct 2011, 09:39
I regret to inform that Ian has "slipped the surly bonds" for good. RIP

o7i
31st Oct 2011, 19:00
Is that what I think it means? Ian did the majority of the start of my training. Does anyone have information about the funeral?

Bravo Mike
31st Oct 2011, 19:30
I had not heard about this either. Found this in the local paper.
IAN DAVID GUMBRELL (From Bournemouth Echo) (http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/archive/2011/09/29/Deaths/9280443.IAN_DAVID_GUMBRELL/)
I did a night flight with him once and saw him occasionally at BFC. Very decent chap who will be missed. Another of Hurn's characters gone.

RTN11
31st Oct 2011, 19:57
Such a shame to hear Ian has departed.

Is Dorset Flying Club still going? who's running it now?

o7i
31st Oct 2011, 21:05
How very sad. Disapointed that I missed the funeral and hope there was a good turnout. If anyone has more details about what happened I would really like to know. Used to fly with him at Solent before he started Dorset Flying Club. Thoughts for all his friends and family.

betterfromabove
4th Nov 2011, 22:39
Really sad to hear about Ian. Only spoke to him once on the telephone, but he sounded full of the joys of aviation. They are too few people like him in this game...it's a tough business and it sometimes gets to people.

He spent some time telling me about the C172 that got trashed (sorry tale...) and he was just getting a HR200 up and running, which is a fun little plane.

I sincerely hope that you get the DFC back on-line as quick as possible.

Nibbler
29th Nov 2011, 13:00
I knew Ian quite well and although many (including myself on occasion) might have ducked down behind the counter when we saw him coming - he did like to talk! - the fact is he was a really nice guy and never really said a bad word about anyone.

I will miss him and I hope he has found the peace he was looking for.