PDA

View Full Version : PPL (A) Skills Test

LawrenceMck
5th Mar 2008, 14:05
Hi guys, just wondering if you could advise me on the PPL Skills Test. I've looked around a fair bit on this forum but failed to fine anything relevent.

I'm up to the stage in my training now where i'm ready to book the Test after about another 3 hours flying. I was just wondering if any Private Pilots here are willing to share their experiences about their PPL Skills Test and are prepared to give any general advice about the big day.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, if it has, perhaps someone could send a link?

Kind Regards

Lawrence

Supersport
5th Mar 2008, 15:17
Talk out loud about everything you're doing... all your Freda checks and the little things like switching the fuel pump off after 1000ft, switching the fuel pump on whilst changing tanks, updating ETA's etc etc.

Nav --> Expect a diversion somewhere along the second leg of your flight, my advice would be to keep your map/chart and pen or chinagraph pencil to hand, so you are ready when issued with the diversion instruction. Try and pinpoint you position on your chart, then draw a line free hand from your position to your diversion point. You should then be able to reasonably estimate the true heading by eye, don't forget variation and you'll have to estimate drift. For estimating distance quickly on a 1:500,000 chart, on the average adult, from the tip of the thumb to the first knuckle is approximately 10nm. Also, I used 90kts for my average groundspeed (PA28), which meant time would be 2/3 distance. So a diversion of 30nm would take approximately 20 minutes. Hope that makes sense.
I found this useful... better than fumbling around for a scale ruler and such like whilst trying to fly the aeroplane. Remember you are allowed to update your ETA, just make sure you tell the examiner.

PFL --> A PFL may interupt the flight at anytime so try and be constantly on the look out for an appropriate field etc, but don't let it effect your flying. The examiner may well pick a field for you, each examiner is different. Again, my advice would be to talk about everything you'd do.." Airspeed... Trim... Mayday Call... Why has it failed... Carb Heat... Fuel Pump... Change Tanks... Restart... Tighten Safety Belts... Open Door" etc etc. Also.. .after going around from the PFL some examiners like to be real b*stards and give you an 'Engine Failiure after take off', so be prepared!

Bad Weather Circuit --> Bit of a weird one this, a lot of schools don't teach this to students (well they didn't teach me until I insisted on it)... make sure you're more than comfortable with this, some examiners (older ones especially, me included) think that this is a very important... some others think that it is dangerous.. so whether you get one or not is anyones guess... but get it nailed anyway just in case.

Circuits --> If you've not done many circuits recently due to doing solo Nav and such like, I'd recommend going doing a few... all types really... Normal Powered Approach, Glide Approach, Flapless Approach and the above bad weather circuit too... you may well be asked to perform all of these.

Stalling --> Also may have been a while since you covered stalling, so make sure you are comfortable with that as well. One I find always catches people out is Stalling in a turn... remember... pitch the nose to the horizon... no lower :) full smooth power :)

Anyway, thats my 2p, hope it is of some use to you, overall best advice from me would be just try and relax, do as you have been taught... and above all use your common sense :)

crispey
5th Mar 2008, 15:30
Lawrence

If your training has been as professional as it should have been then you should have no worries.Examiners,in my experience, do their best to put the student at ease.Mine certainly did even though he asked me to do another forced landing session after some more training.He soon spotted the weakness!If you have a weakness then do some more training.

Your instructors should be able to tell you if you're ready.They shouldn't let you go for it unless you are.If you are the type that becomes nervous during tests I'm sure they will disappear once you start flying.Mine did.

TotalBeginner
5th Mar 2008, 16:33
Examiners,in my experience, do their best to put the student at ease.

I agree! Just remember that the examiner is not looking for perfection. Just fly like you have done with your instructor and everything will be fine! Sing out your checks and most of all, enjoy the flight!

Best of luck :ok:

IRRenewal
5th Mar 2008, 19:05
Talk out loud about everything you're doing.

Yes, but not so loud that you can't hear the radio.

Supersport
5th Mar 2008, 21:09
Yes, but not so loud that you can't hear the radio.

Surely that's common sense?

LawrenceMck
6th Mar 2008, 10:20
Thanks for all your replies, gives me more of an idea of what the examiners are looking for, as long as i'm safe and show good airmanship along with structured and well thought navigation, things should go OK.

Thanks once again,

Lawrence

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Mar 2008, 11:07
what the examiners are looking for
One theory ... what the examiner is looking for is the answer to this question:

"If this guy's next flight was with my kid as passenger, would I be happy?"

If the answer is "no" then the examiner will find some reason to fail you, no matter that you didn't actually seriously screw up any of the individual test items. If the answer is "yes" then you're likely to get a pass, even if you made mistakes.

DB6
6th Mar 2008, 18:42
I believe this http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1206 might be what you are looking for.

Chequeredflag
6th Mar 2008, 19:40
Examiners,in my experience, do their best to put the student at ease.

Reminds me of my examiner - great chap. I told him I intended to treat him as I would my next door neighbours wife, who had never flown in a small aircraft, and that I would be explaining everything I would be doing. "Great" he said, "has she got big t**ts?"

Greatly relaxed me, top bloke (A300 driver), so sadly killed in a road accident shortly afterwards

Xoxon
6th Mar 2008, 21:04
Or if you want to see the description of the criteria for assessment on the test, download "Document 19, Version 04" Notes for the Guidance of Applicants taking the PPL Skills Test (Aeroplanes) from the CAA....
As an example of how this could be helpful, (though I like the idea of "don't kill my kids! I drove my driving test for the road imagining my grandma in the back seat!) I've flown my whole 45 hours training with the CPL acceptable cruise altitude tolerance of 50' (c.f. 200' for PPL) in mind as a target.

It can't hurt to clearly understand what you are training for for the purpose of getting your license... as long as you understand that you can only really learn to fly on your own once you have it.

PompeyPaul
6th Mar 2008, 21:34
The GST is YOUR flight and the examiner will want to see you handle it as so. It's down to you to do the W&B, the runway length checks and everything else.

The catch is, they may well be giving you tips whilst you are flying so it can "feel" like it's not really your flight and you'll lapse into "training mode". That is what will lead to failure. Make sure you continue the FREDA checks, handle the RT and at all times act like it is your flight.

The only thing about aviation is, even though it's taught as a science, it's anything but. You may even find things that your instructor has taught you but your examiner disagrees with. Even now I see 2 very experienced pilots flying together, they will disagree with each other. So if your instructor disagrees with something you are doing it is NOT the end of the world, and it doesn't mean that you've failed.

Ivor_Novello
6th Mar 2008, 22:51
Don't forget the AGNETA checks !

BristolScout
7th Mar 2008, 16:16
It's also quite important to be happy in your own mind that you are going to make the odd mistake on the test - there's never been a perfect test yet, be it in a 152 or a747 sim. If you recognise an error, own up and see if you can put it right, this is airmanship and will set the examiner purring. Then put it behind you and get on with the next item. You can enjoy the debrief of the error after he's told you you've passed!

modelman
7th Mar 2008, 16:43
On a similar vein to another post,my examiner used the criteria:Would I let this chap take my mother for a flight?

He very much put me at my ease,said treat me like a savvy neighbour,use him to hold your chart when necessary,ask me to look out for ground features,other traffic etc.He also said if he spotted traffic more than 1 minute before me,that'll cost me a drink each time.
He only granted a partial as not happy with my PFL's but ok after I received a bit more training.

For the oral section of the test was asked take-off/landing distance,what the CG would be after 1 hours flight,tyre pressures etc.
Good luck
MM