PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair 'floating base' during line training

finallyflying
4th Mar 2008, 18:28
Could someone please explain the ins and outs of how this works.

I assume, after completing a TR and then base check, you are rostered to start line training at a particular FR base. Do you not stick with the same person for a while as you are starting off, or do you fly with a different Captain each time?

Also, if you move around from week to week, as I have read previously, does the company pay for your accomodation and transport at the different bases?

Many thanks.

T668BFJ
4th Mar 2008, 19:13
Simple answer and not meant to be blunt.

YOu will fly and be rostered from whatever base in the network they have a training captain free in.
Costs associated are your responsability and yours only, you will get none of it back.

Hope that helps

finallyflying
4th Mar 2008, 19:19
Thanks for the response.

What Im wondering is, if you change base from week to week, is there nothing that the airline covers in terms of costs?

For example, say you've just started line training in Charleroi. Your roster for the next month shows Stansted and Bergamo as your bases.

If thats a likely scenario, as it seems to be with the 'floating base' thing, is the person then expected to fork out for a flight to Stansted, find a hotel for five days, then fly down to Italy, find another hotel for five days and pay for that as well?

londonmet
4th Mar 2008, 19:30
Yes I believe so.

curser
4th Mar 2008, 20:51
Pathetic, grow some why don't you?

londonmet
4th Mar 2008, 20:52
?????????????

richarjm
4th Mar 2008, 22:14
You will be able to position on the Ryanair network for free, see staff travel on crewdock. However all other expenses will be yours. Your salary probably won't cover your expenses to start with but it will get better in a few months. Hope you have an understanding bank manager until then.

Phileas Fogg
5th Mar 2008, 00:21
The free travel on FR flights is most definately on a standby basis, you will need to check seats available regularly and should you not travel due to a full flight then it is YOUR problem.

Norman Stanley Fletcher
5th Mar 2008, 02:02
To all those easyJet pilots reading this with horror, but think 1% on BALPA is too much - this is what the future looks like unless you stand with the rest of us. Read it and weep.

superjet777
5th Mar 2008, 06:01
So, they want you to fly revenue earning passengers but expect you to pay to get all over Europe... interesting!

stansdead
5th Mar 2008, 06:41
Why the surprise at this revelation? We all know FR are a crock. This actually sounds like one of his less hair brained, offensive, aggressive tactics.

FR are the lowest of the low. The bottom of the bucket. It is impossible to comprehemnd how people consider this a worthwhile airline to work for.

Thank God for airlines that have Pilots who have backbone. Such as BA. Without guys prepared to strike to preserve T's and C's, we would be in a World of pain.

Don't forget your snadwiches, water, teabags and of course your own gash bag to put it all in. You will get none of these either.

I hope you feel your £70000 training costs to become a Prostitute were worth it !!

eagerbeaver1
5th Mar 2008, 08:49
You are able to jumpseat across the entire network no questions but you must follow the compnay procedure. (board last, inform captain/dispatcher, dont take the best seats)

As for the union/T's & C's issue we all know its not as simple as a three sentence paragraph.

reamer
5th Mar 2008, 12:30
You will find out on Friday where your roster for Monday has you based.
Usually no problem requesting Jumpseats from the Captains if the flights are full.

jiffajaffa
5th Mar 2008, 12:43
Don't forget your snadwiches, water, teabags and of course your own gash bag to put it all in. You will get none of these either.

I hope you feel your £70000 training costs to become a Prostitute were worth it !!

Pure class Stansdead...the likes of you who go around looking for RYR threads to post a load of f*ckin garbage.

This thread started as a genuine question about RYR and look where its ended!

Typical :ugh:

CIPO
5th Mar 2008, 13:02
The reason these threads end up where they do is that the truth hurts sometimes. Newbee's deserve to know the truth so thay can make up their own mind.......... Respect is not a word FR are familiar with the meaning of..........

Ryanairpilot
5th Mar 2008, 13:17
jiffajaffa

apart from the controversial 'prostitute' tag, which part of stansdead's post is a "load of f*ckin garbage"?

seems pretty much spot on to me.

quattro77
5th Mar 2008, 13:53
Congrats with your job!
Contact EMT and tell them you would like to do all your line training in Stansted. They have many LTC's there and in my case (a year ago) I did all my training from STN. If not, you can find all the info you need for B&Bs and so on on crewdock.
As a general comment: As long as I get more money than anywhere else, fly close to 900 hrs per year and have a dead steady roster and good collegues, I'm staying with Ryanair. Life at smaller bases is the way to go!

stansdead
5th Mar 2008, 14:43
JIFFAJAFFA,

What part of my post is pure f@cking garbage?

I think that it was all factually correct, at least that is what my very tired, continually downtrodden mates who fly for FR tell me anyway.

I however would not know for sure, because I would not work for dear old Mr O'Leary.......

So, put your mouth into gear and tell me where I was wrong. If you can.

Or was it mentioning that you now must bring your own gash bags that upset your delicate, professional sensibilities?

jiffajaffa
5th Mar 2008, 15:25
Your post is garbage because yet again another RYR thread got to do with something completely different has been spun into an anti-ryr campaign, everbody knows by now RYR policies and t&c's are crap and im not doubting that your facts are actually factual, so what is the point in reiterating the same topics that have been mentioned on various other threads over and over again!

This thread initially started out with a poster looking for info on RYR line training and look where its going!

Just leave him get his info and we can move away from this silly argument

Yet again!

:ugh:

I hope you feel your £70000 training costs to become a Prostitute were worth it

A professional pilot making a statement like this??

70000 you will find is now what it costs to do your training unless your mummy and daddy have paid for it or else your one of the lucky ones who gets sponsored so give the guy a break a simple question requires a simple answer!

Thats my piece said! :rolleyes:

Slick
5th Mar 2008, 15:47
Stansdead

You dont bring your own gash bags thats where you are wrong (at least where I work from). Also I have yet to work for an airline (and ive been with quite a few) where the pilots as a GROUP have collective backbone, you are wrong there too.

You are also wrong when you say Ryanair is the lowest of the low - comments like that generally come from inexerienced pilots who havn't really seen or worked for the lowest of the low - you are wrong there to.

To get back to the first querey. Generally Ryanair (EMT) will try to accomadate you in a training base request it is very unusual that you will visit more that two bases during line training. If you do its because thats where there are training slots available. Either way it won't be a last minute surprise.

Traveling between bases on the network in uniform ie jumpseat is free and never a problem. Yes you pay for your own hotel/B&B and the taxi/bus to the airport.

You will earn as a cadet during you apprentiship - and thats the only way to look at it not very much - but its a quickish apprentiship with a reasonably good salary after year 1. A structured route to command and the option to work in one of the many european bases on a 5 on 4 off roster (fixed in most bases now?) which does not change - You could book you car in for an MOT in December.

Also as far as airline flying is concerned it is a interesting and very dynamic place to be.

There you go now you can make your choice.

Rgds

stansdead
5th Mar 2008, 21:52
I'm sorry. I didn't realise £70k bought an apprenticeship.

However, I will get back in my anti FR box.

Mister Geezer
5th Mar 2008, 22:07
That is how the new starts view it which is why Ryanair will never have a problem in filling the right seat! I think to many people forget just how many hoops they have had to jump through and the time and effort that they have devoted and to dumb all this down with an achieved 'apprenticeship' as the result!

Cheap Labour???

virginpilot1087
5th Mar 2008, 22:46
Stansdead, Do you actuly work for an Airline or just sit on here jerking off slagging Ryanair?

I am guessing the latter and probably because you cant afford to pay the type rating makes you bitter.

I have a few friends flying for Ryanair, all very happy and even after been there over a year now, I have just started flying now after finishing the Type last month and am loving every min of it, the money at the moment is not good but it will be soon, my wage after line training will be much better than a few buddys flying elsewhere and I am on a better aircraft, (Big Shiny New Plane) as people put on here thinking thats a bad thing too? dont know what most people like to fly but I prefer that to an old beat up piece of ****!

Ryanair is a company trying to make money and seem to do very well at it,, Flying is a job to pay the bills and have a decent life style, with 5 on and 4 off you can do that, yes its nice if people lick your ass and lay out the red carpet because your a PILOT, but lets be fair, were not gods, just guys and gals going to work to pay the mortgage, and get to fly a cool aircraft too!

as for paying for drinks and food, well I cant think of any other job I have had that bought me lunch so there really is no change there, I have to eat to live, why would Ryanair pay for that?

Just because we pay so much to train I dont think that gives us the right to have everything silver plated for us, you have to work hard, we just made a massive finantial commitment so we can fly fast jets for a living and not dig holes or be an accountant or something dull, if you dont like what Ryanair is offering you have two choices, pack up and go home, or move airlines, they dont force you to fly for them! all the info is availible before you join up, they might take advantage a little because people are desperate for flying jobs, but that just brings me back to point A,,, there a business, not a relife fund for struggling 250hour pilots!

Re-Heat
5th Mar 2008, 23:11
There is nothing wrong with Accountancy, my dear, patronising friend. It has been fast-paced enough for me to pull in 15 hour days without a day off for 3 weeks on occassion. It may not be what you want to do, but there is no need to be rude. Likewise, the chaps on this thread are expressing an opinion, which informs the labour market of what is on offer. Quash their opinion at your peril.

Ryanair is a company trying to make money and seem to do very well at it
Pity...their return on capital is far exceeded by easyJet.

I digress.

londonmet
5th Mar 2008, 23:40
virginpilot1087 you blithering fool you're missing the one point I thought your well written post was going to make.....

Ryanair might give you the chance to fly + live + pay the mortgage etc but have you not for one second realised what effect they have on the T's and C's for other airlines? Stop and think of that before you jump down peoples throats please.

:ugh:

potkettleblack
6th Mar 2008, 06:58
You can shout from the rooftops about the impact on our own T&C's that this is causing but lets face it to a 20 year old wanabee with no kids, no mortgage who just wants to fill his boots with beer and get through as many hosties as he can there is little reasoning. Changing bases is seen as an opportunity to travel and add to that the opportunity to fly around a jet and build hours quickly. We were all young once and I dare say that many of us had the same carefree attitude to life.

But I think the only way to curb this is for us to blacklist FR pilots from our own companies. Perhaps if they knew from the outset that if they joined FR then that would be their lot for the rest of their careers then some might rethink or heaven forbid MOL might have to improve the T&C's in order to recruit enough pilots in the first place. Some might even join BALPA and IALPA to try and improve their lot once they realised they couldn't leave. All this could be done very quietly on the sly without anyone knowing.

POL.777
6th Mar 2008, 07:16
But I think the only way to curb this is for us to blacklist FR pilots from our own companies. Perhaps if they knew from the outset that if they joined FR then that would be their lot for the rest of their careers then some might rethink or heaven forbid MOL might have to improve the T&C's in order to recruit enough pilots in the first place

That is just bullsh#t.

jazzcat2000
6th Mar 2008, 07:44
You might not believe it, but some of us don't want a job with YOUR company.
Some us are very happy earning £90,000, working five on four off and back in our own bed before 1am even after a late shift.

Knee Trembler
6th Mar 2008, 08:00
And some of us get by on 60k, work 2 days per week, get our medicals rostered and paid, uniform, car park (underground and 5 mins from crew room) for free. Then there's more food than we can eat, plus newspapers and magazines for free and six weeks paid holiday per year. And I'm back home by 10pm most nights.

Oh and the salary goes up each year too.

And we're officially low cost.

And everyone's nice here too :) .

Guess it's all relative :hmm:

KT,

PS, there's also a small queue of colleagues who left for the bright lights of Ryan waiting to come back.

top jock
6th Mar 2008, 08:35
You are like children. If your company is so good i am sure they wont bring your T&C's down to the same as FR and if they do i am sure you will not let them as you all talk about having the best backbone in the world, unless that is your also full of crap. People who work for Ryanair dont like MOL but it is the best way of life for them and their family just as it is for you to be away and get a free cup of tea and some food. To some people seeing their kids grow up by being home everynight is more important then free food. I have friends who are working away from home and get food and all that yet they are looking at going back to RYR so they can be at home everynight. Make your choice and if you dont like it, leave.

captjns
6th Mar 2008, 09:11
Airlines with strong unions, leaders, and membership should not be threatened by FR’s T&Cs.

Live and let live. Some people like to be in their own beds at night. Some like to fly one or two days a week. Some like to be away from home. Some like crew meals and some don’t.

POL.777… just curious… what are your thoughts about pilots with airlines who took pay and benefit reductions, as endorsed by their respective unions? Should they be black listed too?

stator vane
6th Mar 2008, 09:23
is that worse than being a solicitor, an MP, traffic warden, movie star, big brother celeb, pop idol?

even the prostitutes i have met have their standards for terms and conditions!!

if i were good looking, i'd probably be a prostitute on my days off!!! but i can only manage it for free--or maybe a dinner or two--ha--

eagerbeaver1
6th Mar 2008, 10:41
Knee Trembler - I'm sorry I just do not believe what you have posted. Please elaborate

POL.777
6th Mar 2008, 11:36
RYR pilots should have the same opportunities as any other pilot looking to change job. Its not the employees fault that RYR is treating their pilots by means of management by terror.
At the end of the day, everyone should be treated equally.

Good luck to everyone leaving RYR, and good luck to those who joins.

Knee Trembler
6th Mar 2008, 11:59
Eagerbeaver1. What part would you like me to elaborate on? You will gather from my post that I don't work for Ryan.

I was simply making the point that 90k sounds great but that money isn't everything. There's a lot to be said for working for a company where your contribution is valued and you have the feeling that management at least to some extent give a f--k.

It all depends what you value in life.

KT

Ellsam
6th Mar 2008, 12:24
Having experienced the ryr way and left this is how it was for me.
I had over 12 different line training captains. All different in small ways but each one gave me knowledge and an appreciation of the job required. Some at times liked the sound of their own voice but this was far and few. I was lucky and was in one base for line training. Others I knew moved around but this gave them more experience. You did have your own costs but jump seats to places were never hard to get.
The training was structured and I enjoyed it greatly.
I moved due to pay and base issues. I still have quite a few mates who are there who enjoy it, to a point.
At times I wish I had stayed for more experience and the valuable hours gained going into the back end of beyond, but as pilots leaving in the last year were not allowed back in favour of 'paying cadets' as I once was, there is no chance.
The grass is not allways greener. The work away from ryr may be easier but there organisation and stability is excellent.
The only other point I have is not a swipe, but if MOL had been told to get stuffed by the longer serving members of ryr a good few years ago surely the changing of conditions may never have come along. Is it the youngies fighting the oldies battle?. Sorry to go off the topic
Good luck and enjoy take as much from the experience as you can

jiffajaffa
6th Mar 2008, 12:32
But I think the only way to curb this is for us to blacklist FR pilots from our own companies

Another ridiculous statement form the anti-ryr campaign.

RYR pilots trained just as well as any other airline and are just as qualified therefore im sure any employer wanting to hire pilots would not discriminate because he/she has worked for RYR.

FACT!

curser
6th Mar 2008, 14:01
Quire right J.J. I'd even go so far as to say an FR pilot is even better trained because an FR pilot has learn 't obedience.

Pilot Pete
6th Mar 2008, 15:15
I'd even go so far as to say an FR pilot is even better trained because an FR pilot has learn 't obedience. You what?:confused:

PP

captjns
6th Mar 2008, 16:13
Hey curser... could you please clarify to the rest of us in ICAO Level IV ELP the meaning of your statement?:ugh:

curser
6th Mar 2008, 16:16
Pete ....:ugh:. never mind.

curser
6th Mar 2008, 16:20
Ooh beee dee ants. FR pilots work for less on the worst T's & C's (don't argue its fact) and they do MOL's bidding ooh bee dee ant lee. this is training not all other pilots get, I am therefore agreeing with J.J. get it now?

virginpilot1087
6th Mar 2008, 17:00
Re-Heat

I was not trying to pull down people who do other jobs like manual labour, I have respect for people that do that,, there getting out of bed in a morning and providing for the family and hopefully enjoy there job, i was tryign to get across the point that we have to pay a lot of money to get where we are in flying and so its an awesome job but does not come as easy as maybe other jobs can,,, but it shouldent

calypso
6th Mar 2008, 17:14
Here we go. In Ryan the training is as good as.. the pilots are as profesional as... bla bla bla.

Simple fact: Ryan offers the lowest form of Jet employment in Western Europe. Most experienced pilots would not touch them with a bargepole. Those that can will go to a better employer. Those that cannot are stuck with Ryan. Therefore Ryan must be manned (mostly) by the desperate and those not wanted by other airlines.

There are ofcourse exceptions to this due to basing and other personal factors but I am sure it holds as a rule for the pilot population as a whole.

Standing by for mortally offended defenders of Ryanair, that wholesome and principled employer.

Pilot Pete
6th Mar 2008, 17:31
Ahh, I see curser!;)

PP

preduk
6th Mar 2008, 18:35
Ha... obedience... it's a pilot role you are trying to get, not become a dog.

Slick
6th Mar 2008, 19:24
Stansdead I think you ment 70K - if indeed thats how much its costs is for a licence no? Nothing more. We have all been there only some of us didnt jump straight to the right hand seat of a 732, 1-11, 727 or whatever, so we earned crap money working our way up scaring the ****e out of ourselfs on our own during vairous crap jobs. Would I change that - no I wanted to fly, but at 20-25 I wouldnt have turned down a Jet job with 200 hrs either. In the long run I would have been far better off too - money wise that is.

Knee Trembler you either are taking the piss working for the goverment or from an airfield that closes early. You are also over crewed by the looks of things as well. If you are working for an airline I personally would be a little concerned if my aircraft were tucked up that early just how they were being paid for.

Calypso I am not offended at all. You are all entitled to your opnions however uninformed they are, but believe me RA is far from the lowest form of jet employment as you put it, In the western world or anywhere in the world.

Guys think about it. Ryanair cadet joins at 20yrs or there abouts spends one year earing crap money- and it aint that crap. Year 2 money gets better year 3 hes doing 3-4 grand a month year 4 hes a Captain if hes any good clearing 5 - 5.5 grand a month maybe more depends where he is. He also has options most of his friends can only dream about - jesus SFI/TRI/LTC/TRE positions that he would never get else where, probably a base near his home. On top of all that its the best roster in the business unless you own your own plane.

Now is that so bad?

jiffajaffa
6th Mar 2008, 19:27
Well said slick :D

stansdead
6th Mar 2008, 20:30
VirginPilot,

You obviously don't like what I say, but you do work for the lowest cost, meanest and nastiest outfit going.

As for do I fly? Yes, I do. I work for the airline that bears your "nom de plume" here on PPRUNE. Don't presume stuff that you have no idea of, it WILL embarrass you. Just because someone says you something you are not keen on, it does not mean they are unqualified to say it.

I am staggered at pilots like you. I am glad you are so happy in Ryanair.

Maybe next time we talk you will tell me the reason you bring your own gash bags is because O'Leary says it's Ryanair's contribution to Recycling/Global Warming........

Stan

p.s. How are your gash bags today?

Knee Trembler
6th Mar 2008, 20:43
Slick, I'm not taking the piss. I work out of MUC, (best european airport for two years running :) ). Winter is quiet for us hence two flights per week, but it was the same with XL from November to March and I guess with other charter firms too.

Yes we do have night restrictions here.

Point is, it doesn't have to be the Ryanair way. Like governments, you get what you deserve and are prepared to put up with.

Ironically, however, or Ts & Cs only improved after so many left for Ryan!

KT

Rhodes13
6th Mar 2008, 22:29
Simple fact: Ryan offers the lowest form of Jet employment in Western Europe. Most experienced pilots would not touch them with a bargepole. Those that can will go to a better employer. Those that cannot are stuck with Ryan. Therefore Ryan must be manned (mostly) by the desperate and those not wanted by other airlines.

What an arrogant statement by someone who talks out of their proverbial! Ill ask you this then mate if you seem to know so much about our T&C's then why are there guys here that are ex BA and EZY? Do you work for RYR? Then if you don't how about you leave the commenting to people who actually work there and hearing from a friend of a friend doesn't count.

The Terms are not up for debate you either accept them and work there or don't and fcuk off somewhere else simple!

I mean we must be real **** pilots when there are RYR pilots flying for airlines all over the world! But hey we are the lowest of the low. We are bringing down the whole airline industries terms.

To those of you who constantly use PPRUNE to slag off RYR how about you take care of your own backyard before you stick your noses into ours. And I don't believe for one minute that RYR will determine what your company will pay you guys.

Obviously calypso you will never be paid enough because you are the best of the best. Been to Top Gun lately have you? I hear they only take the best of the best. You'd fit right in with that massive ego of yours!

Back to the ORIGINAL question. Yes you can be sent all over the network. It depends where the line trainers are available. They try not to do it, to give you some stability but sometimes it can't be avoided. Line training takes up to 6 weeks so its quite feasible to live off the salary they pay you. As for positioning you can do that on any RYR flight provided you follow the rules published on crewdock. No need for standby's at all as you are dead heading to your base. As for different Captains I had mostly the same although sometimes I had different ones. Once again depends on their rostering and yours.

virginpilot1087
6th Mar 2008, 23:14
Stansdead

you really do seem to have a hard on over these gash bags! lol,,,, I really do have more to worry about in life than worrying about putting some rubish in the bin myself! nevermind if it worrys you so much.

Deep and fast
7th Mar 2008, 02:45
Time to add my experience of FR into the mix. Had an interveiw and sim, paid the money and got offered a start date and course. What was the terms and conditions I asked? A hand written breakdown of wages etc was given at the interview. This is piss poor, a contract or written undertaking should be given so people know what they are signing up to is the minimum you should expect! Paul Deaves was great but Ash was a uninterested Knob! I had a start date with another jet operator which I accepted instead of FRA because I knew what I was getting paid each month with terms and conditions in advance. Shame because I wanted Stansted but now work a lot further north. Security means a lot to some people so I took the safe option.

PS A good friend has just started with FRA and loves it so.....
PSS There is only one person who really is doing well out of FRA and that is the rancid tosser MOL. Read the book about FRA and you'll hate him to.

calypso
7th Mar 2008, 07:51
My heart bleeds for the ill treatment and poor understanding people give Ranair. :}

The Terms are not up for debate you either accept them and work there or don't and fcuk off somewhere else simple!

A lovely attitude that makes my point quite nicely, specially since the Terms are continuosly changed (lowered) unilateraly.

Obviously calypso you will never be paid enough because you are the best of the best. Been to Top Gun lately have you? I hear they only take the best of the best. You'd fit right in with that massive ego of yours!

On the contrary this is not about pay but about the fair treatment that we all deserve. Neither is it about me, it is about how most pilots would not put up with the Ryan antics and would rather fly for anyone else or give up flying than be bullied and abused as you guys are. Beleive me this is not just my opinion but a prevalent opinion of pilots outside Ryan. Get out and you will find out.

Knee Trembler
7th Mar 2008, 08:23
To those of you who constantly use PPRUNE to slag off RYR how about you take care of your own backyard before you stick your noses into ours. And I don't believe for one minute that RYR will determine what your company will pay you guys.

Our Flight Ops Director went to the Ryanair roadshow to learn for himself what was on offer. After that we got a 35% pay rise.

Thanks MOL :ok:

Rhodes13
7th Mar 2008, 09:05
Calypso I find it ironic that its pilots outside of RYAN that feel fit to comment on the ins and outs of the goings on within RYR. Like any large group of pilots there are people that are happy and there are people that are unhappy.

Its just that if you come onto here and say im happy with my lot the company you are branded a low time wannabe that has no experience of the outside world and that we are lowering the terms for all pilots.

If life is so bad at RYR people would be leaving in droves. The simple fact that that they aren't leaving in such large numbers either says one of two things. One they maybe possibly happy with what we have, or two there's a mass conspiracy to hide that fact.

What would you want the company to offer the pilots at RYR? The money isnt bad at all(last pay deal voted in STN not lowered unilaterally) . Roster stability is great and I get to fly aircraft that are in good nick and dont have any trouble from management.

Yes management is bloody minded but please point to a management in a current airline that isnt state owned where they are looking at keeping the pilots happy. Take a look over at the QF boys. Brikcing it that jetstar will take over their flying all the while fighting to get 3 percent increases in pay (while inflation in Aus is over 3.5) and this is from a so called legacy. BA boys threatening a strike over project lauren and CX boys also having pay problems. EZY boys facing the possibility of separate contracts for European bases and so on and so on. All in all if you look at it pilots the world over are getting screwed but hey its only RYR that are treating their pilots like ****.

So why not complain about their management treating their pilots fairly? Is it because the modern management/account understands only the bottom line? That they don't give a toss about feel good factor of employees. They have come to the realisation that if you won't do it for that price there is somebody that will. Modern airlines aren't run like the good old days when you had pilots running pilots. its the almighty dollar that commands what happens and that is controlled by the shareholders who think that pilots are glorified bus drivers!!!

I stand by by my statement that if you don't like it bugger off. You know the terms when you join and any changes made, so if you don't like them look after yourself and piss off. I know I will if that ever happens to me!

But hey ho what do I know i don't have 50 years in the left seat and three space shuttle landing to my name so I cant have an opinion!

captjns
7th Mar 2008, 09:41
It's not a bad gig if you stay away from the politics and whiners. The terms of the contract from Bookfield is black and white.

TDY at other bases where you can actually unpack your luggage? I would take that over doing the bag drag through different airline terminals five days a week along with unreliable hotel shuttles.

For every scheduled block hour flown, you are paid. Now how complicated or abusive can that be?

Five days on... four days off. How complicated is that?

One full month off plus additional days off during the year. Is that so bad?

All right... you have to bring your own food and grog on the jet. But at the end of the day aren't you eating what you want? Yeah... on the flip side of the coin it would be nice if they threw in one or two bottles of unopened water... and paid for uniforms. But wan't that a given known when signing on the dotted line?

After all, are there any crewmembers being held against their own free will who think If life is so bad at RYR and they want to jump ship?

virginpilot1087
7th Mar 2008, 18:04
Well said,

I am new at FR and from what I have seen I am pretty happy so far, people I have talked to are generaly happy, the only complaint I have heard from pilots been there for a few years is there a bit bored with the routes sometimes and feeling like a bus driver, but thats flying, the routes are where the pay comes from so cant do much about that in any airline.

I really dont know where all these massive moans about conditions come from? do any of you that say how awful a company it is actuly fly for us or used to??? some must do hopefully as I really cant belive people coming on here and taking the time to slag of the company if they dont, I have never even looked at posts about other companys and probably wont do until I decide to switch.

I really dont care about the tea and coffee not been free because I dont drink it anyway, water is free and to be fair I could do with drinking more of that anyway as coke is very bad for you, food,, bringing in my own food really does mean i can control my own diet when sat for 8-10 hours a day in a plane, putting rubish is a bag? good god what a nightmare that will be,, 4days off! awesome! get to have a weekend off every two weeks just about and days off in the week every week! I have friends in 9-5's that have to take a day off just to do the random life stuff like banking and things, pay scale is pretty good,,, I know many many people been in jobs 5-10 years earning less that I am starting on, yea they did not have to pay £25k to get there job, but they dont get to fly a 737!, free jump seating on the network! loads of destinations and as we all go thru training lots of friends around the world with a free room to stay so can do some nice mini breaks on days off.

sure someone will come on and list the negatives now after reading that,, but there are always negatives in life, for me if you fixate on them you are just a negative person who will never be happy,,, I am happy now and later on if not no one has a gun to my head to fly, I can move on.

Ryanairpilot
7th Mar 2008, 18:40
virginpilot

free jump seating on the network! loads of destinations and as we all go thru training lots of friends around the world with a free room to stay so can do some nice mini breaks on days off.

apart from being an irritating freeloader you are abusing the jump seat priveleges. it is for positioning and duty travel only. if you want a minibreak buy a ticket like everybody else.

aside: i find it amusing that the same characters like to have a conversation amongst themselves extolling the virtues of ryr using the same information quoted on the latest full page ad in flight. running out of applicants, eh boys?

virginpilot1087
7th Mar 2008, 19:20
Annoyning free loader? we are encouraged to do jump seat travel for training reasons for the Line checks and also whats wrong with having a spare pilot in the cockpit? it can only be a good thing, fair enough dont go running off to Girona or Milan every day to get pissed! but it really is good to keep sharp and see things from behind the crew, you tend to learn much more there as its easy to see mistakes when your not in the seat.

anyway,,, leaveing this post now as I am sure its bound to get out of hand like every other thread on pprune,,,, in fact i might delete my profile and leave you all to it from now on.

thanks to the heplfull people on here,, as for the moaners, good luck.

JW411
7th Mar 2008, 19:42
How can you be a freeloader in FR?

Even an ID90 on a £9.99 fare only comes to £8.99!

captjns
7th Mar 2008, 21:47
Hey Ryanair Pilot... I hope you aren't the type to rat out those who use the jump seat to travel to an from one of their many homes. The jump seat is a right to all employees of the company and not empowered to be treated or critized of use by you or any other company holier than thou types.

Ryanairpilot
10th Mar 2008, 19:35
fojns

the jump seat is certainly not a right, it is a privelege and if you abuse it (which you obviously do) then you will lose it. but it's things like that you will learn if you ever start command training.

captjns
12th Mar 2008, 23:12
Very mature response Ryanairpilot:*. The jump seat is for a pilot has been... still is... and will be a right. I would guess that you are in the minority amongst your peers when it comes to this issue.

jazzcat2000
12th Mar 2008, 23:20
The ops manual and several memos state quite clearly that jumpseating is a privelege and if abused will be removed

Ryanairpilot
13th Mar 2008, 10:22
fojns

i sincerely hope you never demand the jump seat from me. you would find out instantly how much of a privelege it is.

captjns
13th Mar 2008, 16:29
fa-ryanairpilot... how could I ask for one from you since you hide behind your screen name. Why don't you share with the rest of this forum who you are?

Ryanairpilot
14th Mar 2008, 11:49
fojns

i'll take that as acknowledgement that you are wrong.

captjns
15th Mar 2008, 11:00
f/a aka ryanair wanabe pilot

No... probably your lack of familiarity as an up-front crewmember. You assert that you hope I never demand a jump seat from you. I'll never know who you are, and vise versa. So save the macho talk for the mirror. I know, your reply to me will be “And I hope I never meet you”.

Second you’re naive as to who is riding home or just riding for the sake of riding, unless of course you trying to rack up the old brownie points with your superiors ergo the need for an adequate supply of tissues for the brown spots on the old schnozola.

So FAryanairpilot… you just keep on with your quest for those evil offenders of your company’s Flt. Ops. Manual... snitch on such offenders, and you good sir, will receive all that is due you from your fellow colleagues for such fine work.

Now be that good little f/a that your are and don’t forget to insure that your passengers’ tray tables are in their upright position and be sure that your keep your hands under your thighs during takeoffs and landings.

Ryanairpilot
15th Mar 2008, 12:23
fojns

like i said, i'll take that as acknowledgement that you are wrong.

BongleBear
15th Mar 2008, 13:06
jesus christ guys, take a step back and see how embarrassing it is to see you guys having a fight on pprune!

having said that... come on ryanairpilot, my neck hurts enough at the end of the working day from looking over my shoulder for management trying to screw me over and catch me out (might take away my monthly allowance...!), we really don't need our own colleagues doing us over.

ok if i want to go for a piss up to palma for a weekend, i'll go staff travel (thus meaning i can have some of those great bullseye baggies), but surely if we want to nip to somewhere in europe that's not home we can do that?

i hope i don't meet you on a flight, and not because you'll deny my jump seat, but because i dont fancy sitting next to you for a few hours.

apologies for continuing the bickering, the contradiction to my initial statement is noticed...

SID PLATE
15th Mar 2008, 16:20
Well said Bongle! Enough of handbags at dawn already!
However I have to agree with RYRpliot.. for it is written that "jumpseat travel is a privilege" (but it can be used to your advantage if you keep a low profile, and use it sensibly).
Captjns is incorrect, and comes across as the type of full-stroke winker who turns up at the aircraft before the passengers, without having spoken to the dispatcher .. and, if he can be bothered, introduces himself by saying: "I'M JUMPSEATING WITH YOU" , and then hangs around in the galley getting in the way. He might even be the jumpseater I had once who sported a natty Captain's uniform cap with gold oak leaves on the peak, which he bought on t'interweb. Very smart he would have looked too, except it was two sizes too big...

BongleBear
15th Mar 2008, 17:41
i'd agree with that, sid plate. keep a low profile, introduce yourself to the dispatcher and the crew, don't take the piss with getting on first with a huge suitcase and then hanging around in the galley chatting up the 18 year old polish number one while she tries to welcome the pax ('welcome' meaning randomly checking a few boarding cards)

captjns
15th Mar 2008, 18:28
SID PLATE just a bit of clarification the proper protocol to check with the captain to see if the jump seat is available, and not to say that one is riding the jumpseat. Then if the captain approves, then the jumpseater notifies the dispatcher as appropriate.

It is also protocol to wait unitl all passengers have taken their seats before taking an unoccupied one. With that being said, the forward galley area or in the jetway, if one is being used, is the proper place for a jumpseater to wait.

I am sure that you, along with RYANAIRPILOT are the jumpseat police or your flights when needed and ensure that your jumpseater(s) don't occupy any seats blocked off for CG purposes, the first row, last, or emergency exit rows, until all passengers have been seated.:rolleyes: