PDA

View Full Version : Irish Accountant w/Aviation Training Costs Experience

Platinum206
4th Mar 2008, 15:00
Hey Guys, hopefully someone can help me out.

I've been doing some reading into claiming tax back on CPL training, and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of an Accountant, in Ireland, with some experience of claiming tax/VAT or registering as a company etc.

There is a lot of useful help in the rotorhead forum such as this thread:
here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198314)

however most of it is relating to the UK.

What I am looking for is a recomendation of someone who has already been through the process.

Many Thanks
P206

Whirlygig
4th Mar 2008, 15:49
Irish taxation isn't vastly different from the UK so I would reckon that you could go to any reputable firm of Chartered Accountants in Dubbers, and they'll be able to advise.

However, the VAT-registration business route is only really viable if you are likely to e self-employed after qualification.

Cheers

Whirls

Platinum206
4th Mar 2008, 15:58
Cheers Whirls, yours was some of the great info I was relating to!

I'll see who I can find alright, was hoping maybe someone knew someone who had done it already so they could say simply, yeah no prob just do this this and this, rather than having to wait for them to check it out and get back to me and all the tooing and froing and such (sp?)

I can be an impatient person when i want t be!:)

The self employed idea might in fact be a reality, I may end up flying one of these infamous contracts with brookfield/ryanair so that would be the basis of the registered business route. I also have friends who do a lot of photography so that was an idea I had (me fly, them take aerial pics for clients)

redout
4th Mar 2008, 16:14
I am pretty sure that this has been covered on these forums numerous times before and the answer has always been a big fat "no". If you can find a guy who can get you some money back then by all means go for it but I would not hold my breath.

Platinum206
4th Mar 2008, 16:18
Redout,

Absolutely it has been covered, but mine was a specific request. I am not intentionally repeating whats already been discussed at length, that winds me up as much as it does the next guy.

Breathing as normal!
P206

Whirlygig
4th Mar 2008, 17:59
If ones intention, and later reality, is to be self-employed/freelance whereby one (or ones own ltd company) invoices operators for ones time and expertise, then registering for and reclaiming VAT on training expenses, is a big, fat YES.

Cheers

Whirls

Philpaz
4th Mar 2008, 18:11
Would that apply to the RYR guys then, i believe they are self employed.
And Hi again Whirls!
Was just thinking the total they claimed back including for TR would soften the SSTR blow somewhat.
would be in the region of 13k methinks, well for an integrated Student.

portsharbourflyer
4th Mar 2008, 18:20
Be cautious everyone, not sure about Irish law, but for the UK remember if you choose to be self employed and operate through a limited company it is an "IR35 compliance" Solicitor that can determine if you truly meet the requirements of being an "independent contractor".

This is an area the inland revenue have had a clampdown on in the recent few years, but it is apparent that some candidates have been claiming to be self employed thus claining the tax advantages where as really the inland revenue would deem them to be a "disguised employees". An accountant may well inform you of the tax advantages of running a limited company but may not necessarily question of you if you are truly IR35 compliant.

Yes, if at any point in the future you are deemed a disguised employee after running a limited conpany for a few years, then the inland revenue can then come back to you for any tax relief you incorrectly claimed.

Alot of people have got away with this purely by the virtue of that the earnings were not of a substantial amount that it would be worth an audit by the Inland Revenue. If called to prove your independent contractors status it is you not your accountant that must prove this.

Whirlygig
4th Mar 2008, 18:22
I'm not totally sure what RYR is but guessing it's Ryanair as per Platimun's post - that could be a very different matter. In the UK, HMR&C (in Ireland, the Revenue Commissioners) have 6 factors which determine whether one is freelance or self-employed. These are the factors:

1. Do you have more than one client?
2. Can you choose your own working hours and days?
3. Do you use your own tools and equipment?
4. Can you be told how to do your job?
5. Are you accepting the business risk for failure?
6. Can you send someone else in your place?

Now, a freelance instructor, working for a number of schools, could well answer "yes" to those queries. I'm not sure how someone working for Ryanair could. If they do take on self-employed status pilots, then I hope there is at least and extra-statutory concession in place which exempts them from these six rules. If not, in the UK, the employer could also be "done" (and done big time as they are the ones avoiding paying Employer's National Insurance and pension contributions).

However, if it is agreed (and I'm sceptical as to the legality), I don't see why not.

Cheers

Whirls

Philpaz
4th Mar 2008, 18:25
Very good IR35 solicitor, review your contract and reccomend any changes to put you outside IR35. Also offer insurance if they deem your contract to fall outside IR35.

http://www.bauerandcottrell.co.uk (http://www.bauerandcottrell.co.uk/)

portsharbourflyer
4th Mar 2008, 18:27
Whirly,

Remember Ryanair get away with this because they are under Irish law, under UK IR35 rules I am sure most Ryanair pilots would be deemed "disguised" employees.

Philpaz
4th Mar 2008, 18:29
From what my accountants and solicitor said to me, i cant see the Ryanair contract falling outside IR35 and therefore you would be classed as employed and pay your own tax and NI on all you earnings. Ie, no dividends, expenses etc...

I think anyway, my accountant and solicitor get paid to worry about these things for me.:O

Paz