PDA

View Full Version : how do you calculate fpm?

elcrusoe
3rd Mar 2008, 21:18
Hey people,

I just had a quick question for people the use the ascent rate or descent rate factor? How do you determine if you give a 2000fpm or 1500 or such and such. And well when you utilize this separation method are you aware of the aircraft caracteristics? Not all planes descend nor climb at the same rate. And also the air density factor will also come in to play. During the summer, the same aircraft will not necessarily climb the same as in winter?
If somebody can explain to me how this is trained and when you actually have faith in using this add.

Thanx alot.

45 before POL
3rd Mar 2008, 21:40
The use of climb rates as you said 2000' or 1500' etc are one of many tools to use in separation , and yes this is influenced on type, weather, fuel load, pax load, and height of aircraft at time etc. We learn key characteristics of most major aircraft in use, although not all controllers use this as a technique. I have used it a few times but more so when i know it is a good performer, G5, B738 and also how operators use these aircraft. Also...if i instruct an aircraft to climb at 2000' a minute until passing 'x' point, i would expect them to inform me if they cannot comply.......then to plan B....or C:E:E

anotherthing
4th Mar 2008, 10:12
Elcruso -

There is an ignore button to be used for the likes of SINGAPURCANAC... it might come in handy to dismiss vitriolic replies :ok:

Mods - is post number 3 really acceptable outside jetblast? Good show of professionalism by SINGAPURCANAC, not.

bekolblockage
4th Mar 2008, 10:28
anotherthing
I agree.
SINGAPURCANAC's posts on this and other threads, verging on the bizarre in some cases, are not only annoying but undecipherable on occasion, making me wonder if he will be legal after tomorrow re the new ICAO language proficiency requirements.

PPRuNe Radar
4th Mar 2008, 12:07
It's always honourable when someone falls on their own sword :ok: :)