PDA

View Full Version : 5 day Gliding Course

Stable Ish
3rd Mar 2008, 13:22
hi all,
a few friends are looking to do a 5 day gliding course somewhere in the uk this summer. having looked at the gliding.co.uk website i've found a few clubs that run courses such as these;

Lasham
Bristol & Gloucestershire Gliding Club
Yorkshire Gliding Club
Wolds

Has anyone any experience of these clubs and the courses they run? any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

cats_five
3rd Mar 2008, 13:42
hi all,
a few friends are looking to do a 5 day gliding course somewhere in the uk this summer. having looked at the gliding.co.uk website i've found a few clubs that run courses such as these;

Lasham
Yorkshire Gliding Club
Wolds

Has anyone any experience of these clubs and the courses they run? any advice much appreciated.

Firstly, your friends can never count on getting 5 days gliding in the UK!

I've seen Lasham and they have a fleet of K13s and look very well organised. There is also Portmoak, who would only have 2-3 folks on the course as it uses a single K21 and a single instructor. Soaring is possible there without thermal activity so long as the wind is blowing on one of the ridges.

Lasham charge about the same for a launch as Portmoak, but the per-minute airtime charge is considerably more.

http://www.scottishglidingcentre.co.uk/course_holiday.htm#entry

MIKECR
3rd Mar 2008, 14:27
Most clubs should be able to offer you something. A lot of the time its just a case of the club organising an instructor and a winch/tug driver. Probably best to contact whichever club you fancy and see if they can organise something for you. Perhaps consider Scotland, some excellent clubs up this way - Highland Gliding Club, Deeside Club, Cairngorm club. All have first class facilities and will have no problems finding staff for you. And of course, beautiful scenery and plenty soaring in wave at 20'000 feet!

OpenCirrus619
3rd Mar 2008, 14:39
You could also enquire at Shenington (http://www.shenington-gliding.co.uk) or Kent Gliding Club (http://www.kent-gliding-club.co.uk).

I was a member at Shenington for some years and (after moving house) have been at KGC for 3 - both are friendly places to learn.

OC619

rauxaman
3rd Mar 2008, 14:53
I went on a week-long course at Wolds in Pocklington 15yrs ago with a couple of friends... mixed weather but as I recall we all got at least 20 launches in and a couple of us soloed.

Thoroughly enjoyed it... still flying powered and gliders today.
Best way to learn about gliding in my book

FullyFlapped
3rd Mar 2008, 14:53
Umm ... surely this is an easy choice, given that only one of these clubs is in Yorkshire ? ;););)

BackPacker
3rd Mar 2008, 15:08
I might want to do the same thing over the summer. Assuming a week of good weather and reasonable access to planes/instructor/tugs/winches, what would be achievable as a PPL(A) holder with approx 100 hours and some aerobatics experience? Would I be able to solo? Would I get away from the circuit and do some realistic soaring (assuming the conditions are right)?

Would it make sense to hit the theory books beforehand, and if so, what books are recommended?

hobbit1983
3rd Mar 2008, 15:10
Apologies for the thread drift....

...but now I've done my CPL hours & want to stay airbourne during the long slog through ATPL mod 2, I thought I'd take up gliding again :ok: - my first choice would be here, http://www.bwnd.co.uk/, Bath Wilts & North Dorset Gliding Club.

Would anyone that's been there/currently flies there care to comment? There are a few other choices, but this is the closest to me.

IFollowRailways
3rd Mar 2008, 15:12
I would also add the Midland Gliding club at the Long Mynd (Church Stretton) to your list.

I would recommend that you go to one of the hill sites (Portmoak, Sutton Bank (Yorkshire GC) or Midland GC as above. As long as the weather is half decent you will get ridge and thermal soaring and possibly wave as well. The big advantage of a hill site is that the opportunities for soaring are increased, as even if there is no convection (thermals) the ridge is often working and you will be able to perform useful exercises and soar, whereas, if it is overcast at a flat site you will be straight up, straight down!

The only major difference between these is that at Portmoak the airfield is at the bottom of the hill and therefore probably slightly safer/easier as you do not have to regain ridge height+ to do a circuit. At the other two if you cannot regain the ridge then you are heading for a field at the bottom! (Been there, done that!)

I cannot recommend one of these sites above the others as I have flown on courses at all three of them and had a great time at all.

rauxaman
3rd Mar 2008, 16:06
>>>what would be achievable as a PPL(A) holder with approx 100 hours and some aerobatics experience?<<<

A realisation of what those footrest things are under your feet ;)

A lot of fun

And some real spinning, you will be instructed in spin recovery at circuit height! :eek:

You should get some X-country in and might solo but if you don't you probably won't be far off as long as you build up on the experience.

robin
3rd Mar 2008, 16:37
In my younger days I used to take holiday courses, esp at Bristol and Glos.

They were great, but as mentioned elsewhere, the sport is heavily weather- dependent and there were some courses where we had large amounts of flying andsome where we had very little.

For a PPL it will be a real eye-opener, and they may take longer to solo than they expect. The other issue that will come as an eye-opener will be the amount of time you will be expected to help other people - not something that happens much in the power world !!!

Just enjoy it

Knight Paladin
3rd Mar 2008, 17:01
Bristol and Glos also has a ridge, and is a friendly club. Probably can't beat the Mynd though, in terms of soaring conditions, club gliders and just general atmosphere, great clubhouse.

FullyFlapped - Unless I'm very much mistaken, two of the clubs from the list are in Yorkshire - Yorkshire GC at Sutton Bank, and Wolds GC at Pocklington.

cats_five
3rd Mar 2008, 17:05
I might want to do the same thing over the summer. Assuming a week of good weather and reasonable access to planes/instructor/tugs/winches, what would be achievable as a PPL(A) holder with approx 100 hours and some aerobatics experience? Would I be able to solo? Would I get away from the circuit and do some realistic soaring (assuming the conditions are right)?

Would it make sense to hit the theory books beforehand, and if so, what books are recommended?

How long to solo depends. How long is a bit of string? You might get solo, you might not, you might get a week of cr*p weather!

I'd say you don't need much in the way of theory to go solo - you don't have to pass your Bronze paper to do it.

But as said elsewhere, you should have a *lot* of fun and you'll find the price per minute very moderate compared to power flying.

Papa Whisky Alpha
3rd Mar 2008, 17:30
I suppose it depends on your location, how far do you want to travel. You might consider the Gliding Centre at Husbands Bosworth (between Lutterworth and Market Harborough) They have an all glass fleet, winch and aerotows, motorglider on site, accomodation, etc. Speak to them on 01858 880521

Stable Ish
3rd Mar 2008, 17:56
Cheers for all the info guys, lots to consider. The five of us all had to book leave from work about six months ago so our dates are fixed - this is ruling out a few of the clubs mentioned. There still seems to be plenty to choose from, plenty of ridge sites.
we don't really mind too much where we go, although Scotland might be a bit far given that we're travelling from surrey. We are hoping to make a bit of a holiday out of it so don't mint making a bit of a trek. It's good to get some endorsements for clubs from previous visitors.
thanks a lot.

cats_five
3rd Mar 2008, 18:34
Scotland might be a bit far given that we're travelling from surrey. We are hoping to make a bit of a holiday out of it so don't mind making a bit of a trek.

Fly to EDI, hire a car. There is lots more to see & do in Fife, Perthshire & Edinburgh so if the flying is dud you won't be stuck for things to do, unless you find yourselves being briefed to death!

low'n'fast
3rd Mar 2008, 19:13
Give the London Gliding Club a call- based on the Dunstable downs with a 300ft ridge on the airfield perimeter. All glass fleet (4 or 5 K21's and a Duo I think) along with a K13 for spin training.

www.londonglidingclub.co.uk

Full facilities on-site inc bar, bunkrooms and restaurant.

What could go wrong....

Prangster
3rd Mar 2008, 20:58
Done Yorkshire based courses at Pocklington and Rufforth both excellent value and close enough to York to beetle off and find good eateries.

Tugpilotsmiffy
3rd Mar 2008, 21:53
Lasham, we have an onsite bar and canteen, plenty of good local pubs, fantastic instructors, and the odd world champion, he's not that odd really, basic acomm on site and good B&b's locally, and some rather keen if unpaid tugpilots.

Africrash
4th Mar 2008, 04:02
Hi

Another club to consider would be Bidford Gliding Centre, the club runs full time, Aero tow only, and used to be able to provide on site caravan accomodation.

Weather is still a question, but the stratford on avon area is pleasant to explore if the weather is bad.

Crash

cats_five
4th Mar 2008, 07:26
<snip>basic acomm on site<snip>

Yes, the 'Lasham Hilton' is definitely basic.

Saab Dastard
4th Mar 2008, 09:50
Well worth considering Derby & Lancs GC (http://www.dlgc.org.uk/onlineforms/flyenq2.asp) in the Peak District.

I've done 3 such courses there over the years and can thoroughly recommend it!

SD

Sedbergh
4th Mar 2008, 12:07
Any site on top of a ridge tends to meet cloudbase quicker than sites at the bottom!

Should be less of a problem mid-year though:ok:

Saab Dastard
4th Mar 2008, 13:59
Any site on top of a ridge tends to meet cloudbase quicker than sites at the bottom!

True, but a ridge site with the right wind can give you hours of lift without straying from the circuit!! :ok:

SD

grob103
4th Mar 2008, 20:11
The "Lasham Hilton" may be basic, but what more do you really need than a bed, wardrobe, mirror, sink, shower, toilet and heating anyway? Genuine question; I hear people complain about bunkrooms all the time - do I just have low standards?

Of course, on a good course you're only going to be flying, sleeping, eating drinking or complaining about the weather anyway. :)

ProfChrisReed
4th Mar 2008, 21:43
I've not flown at all these sites, but have feedback from those who have and from my own research. I'd say your list is a good one:

Lasham
Yorkshire Gliding Club
Wolds

and I'd definitely add Midland (Long Mynd, Shropshire) and Shenington (both from personal experience).

In making your decision, consider the following:

1. Winch or aerotow? Yorkshire (Sutton Bank) will only winch if the ridge is working, and then only gentle launches to lob you into lift. The rest of the time is aerotow. Conversely, the Mynd courses are almost exclusively winch - there may not be a tug available mid-week. B&G are primarily winch as well. Lasham, Wolds and Shenington will offer you both most days (every day for Lasham).

2. Organisation. Do you want a course where you'll be organised quite precisely, in which case Lasham and the Mynd (and possibly Sutton Bank) are for you. If you want to have a discussion each morning with the instructor to improvise what's happening, then I'd guess Wolds and Shenington operate more that way. Not yet flown at B&G, but flew a couple of years ago with Don Puttock, their f/t instructor, and it would be worth going there just to learn the ridges with him - but maybe this is more for the experienced glider pilot than the tyro, as Don loves the "soft" days when you need to shave the tips off the long grass on the ridge with your wingtips.

3. Hill or flatland? If it's windy (in the right direction) then hilltop sites are great. If the wind's in the wrong direction, the cloudbase can be so low over the hill that it's not really flyable. No way to tell this when you book, but I'd say the flatter sites (i.e. not Mynd or Sutton Bank) are more predictable, but when they're good the hilltop sites are excellent.

4. How keen are you on runways? Wolds has real ex WW2 runways and three of them, all in good nick, plus you can land in the middle. I believe Lasham is similarly blessed. Sutton Bank is strongly sloping grass, more of a long field on top of the ridge. The Mynd is a piece of moorland, with some landable bits in it, mainly bowls. B&G I haven't flown at, but believe it's fairly flat grass and pretty big - no runways really, so choose a good bit to land on. Shenington has the remains of runways but is mainly grass and flat.

5. Where will you sleep and eat? The rooms at the Mynd are good, and the catering is good as well. Sutton Bank has good rooms but self-catering when I was there. Shenington has a bunk room - I preferred a tent; self-catering and good local pubs. Wolds I believe has decent rooms, but I haven't tried them. All of these have good bars (I liked Shenington's the best). Don't know the others.

6. What will you do on non-flying days? Wolds is near York, Sutton Bank on the N York Moors, at Shenington you can tour Cotswold villages, Mynd tour Shropshire pubs. B&G is quite near Bath I think. Lasham offers you Basingstoke, but there may be more around there than I know.

One other option to look at is Black Mountain at Talgarth, just west of Hay on Wye. The only option on site is to camp and the airfield is an oversize crown bowling green, so if you can land there you can cope almost anywhere. In one direction, excess approach speed results in a touch and go and a landing in the valley (in the others, probably a crash). But, if the ridges are working (and they work in most wind directions) you can have some amazing flying. Fly at a mountain, turn to parallel it, and it's like being in an elevator as you pop up over the top. If the sheep don't scatter you're not close enough. In bad weather, all you can do is buy second-hand books in Hay or go to Hereford.

If this is your first time gliding and you're an average pilot, then you might find Lasham, Wolds or Shenington easiest. Landing at Sutton Bank or the Mynd is a challenge for a flatland glider pilot, let alone someone who's not flown a glider before. If you relish the challenge, then Sutton Bank, Mynd and Talgarth are extremely interesting places to fly.

I know, or am reliably told, that all these are really friendly places except possibly Lasham - Lasham is the Heathrow of the gliding world, and I believe it can be rather intimidating. However, if you're on a course you'll be professionally looked after, and some of the opinions I've received are from pilots at small clubs who found Lasham not to their taste - with any luck, soneone who's flown on a course there can post here about how enjoyable they found it.

Whichever you choose, I hope you have brilliant weather and a great time.

Tugpilotsmiffy
4th Mar 2008, 21:47
Lasham Hilton, never heard it called that before, helps if you use the bar before you stay there, makes it seem not too bad then, and yep G103 you do have low standards.
Lasham can seem a bit unfriendly to a new visitor, but thats really due to the size of the club, once past that its a great place to fly, very aviation minded and very friendly, check out the website Lasham.org.uk, PM me and if you want to come down and have a look around can sort out a date and a time, gets you past our doctors receptionists.

cats_five
5th Mar 2008, 07:12
The "Lasham Hilton" may be basic, but what more do you really need than a bed, wardrobe, mirror, sink, shower, toilet and heating anyway? <snip>

The room was warm enough for me (I like a cool room to sleep in), but there was only a trickle of slightly tepid water for a shower - no hot water in the showers in the main building last time I was there. I stayed there in August for 2 weeks but in my tent. Catering is ace though.

cats_five
5th Mar 2008, 07:17
<snip>
3. Hill or flatland? If it's windy (in the right direction) then hilltop sites are great. If the wind's in the wrong direction, the cloudbase can be so low over the hill that it's not really flyable. <snip>

Cloudbase is rather more to do with dew point & temperature than wind direction. In a SW (prevailing) wind some days our ridge is booming & flyable, other days (the days when we have problems with canopies misting on the ground) it's got it's own personal bit of cloud.

Maybe what kind of site depends on what time of year and what bit of the country.

The other thought is that all the debate about the trickyness of landing at various sites is a bit surpurlous. If they don't get solo they will always have an instructor in the back seat, if they do the instructor will have seen to it they know the local 'wrinkles'.

I don't think the OP has said anything about the experience of his group of friends. I sort of assumed that since he was asking advice they are all ab initios.

pulse1
5th Mar 2008, 08:01
Do hilltop sites still use bungee launches? I did a course at the Midland GC many years ago and, as long as the wind was on the hill, we used the bungee. A very simple way of enjoying instant flying.

It is also the only place where I have done a touch and go in a glider. I came in much too fast, touched down, and then the instructor closed the brakes and we took off back into the hill lift for another, more successful attempt.

marlat
5th Mar 2008, 09:19
Can I recommend (biased opinion as I am a member) the Gliding Centre at Husbands Bosworth airfield (www.theglidingcentre.co.uk (http://www.theglidingcentre.co.uk/)). The club operates from a large grass runway with easy approaches which should help a power pilot used to flying a circuit around rectangular airfields to progress quickly (planning/flying the circuit is one of the biggest challenges in learning to glide). We have a good range of training aircraft (2x K21 for basic training, 1 x Puchacz for spin/stall training and 1x Duo Discus to appreciate the delights of flying an aerodynamically efficient glider) plus a modern motor glider and launches via both winch and aerotow (it’s an experience in and of itself to be towed into the air by a Chipmunk). The club offers fairly decent accommodation in private rooms on site with good catering and bar.

To answer Backpacker’s question which has not been answered yet, I would think a power trained pilot of 100 plus hours could reach, given a full five days of flying, solo standard and be experiencing the challenge of local soaring but I guess it all hinges on the individual’s confidence and ability to learn. For books to read, I would recommend both of Ken Stewart’s books “The Glider Pilots Manual” and the “Soaring Manual”. The first concentrates on how to fly a glider assuming no knowledge with a basic appreciation of soaring theory, the second covers soaring techniques in more depth with plenty of real world examples from the author’s gliding career. I would also recommend Philip Will’s books published in the fifties “On being a bird” and “Where no birds fly” as he is an author who can really describe the joys of soaring flight (not an easy thing to do as words often fail to express the challenge).

ProfChrisReed
5th Mar 2008, 10:26
cats_five wrote:

The other thought is that all the debate about the trickyness of landing at various sites is a bit surpurlous. If they don't get solo they will always have an instructor in the back seat, if they do the instructor will have seen to it they know the local 'wrinkles'.

From the fact that the question was asked here I assumed (might be wrong) that they were all PPLs or in training. If so, I thought it might be a little dispiriting to take a 5-day course and never feel you were on top of the landing! My first two landings at the Mynd were "adequate", in that we could re-use the aircraft, but compared to my landings at flatland sites they were distinctly untidy.

If the group are all brand new to aviation then they have nothing different to compare it with, so it wouldn't be an issue. Similarly if they are all pretty experienced, then the hilltop sites will be an interesting challenge. My thought was that for those in between it might possibly be a relevant factor, though not the most important one, in feeling they got the most out of their course.

I'd say any of these would be good places to go for a course, so I was just trying to give some information which would help them make their choice.

cats_five
5th Mar 2008, 11:16
<snip>I thought it might be a little dispiriting to take a 5-day course and never feel you were on top of the landing! My first two landings at the Mynd were "adequate", in that we could re-use the aircraft, but compared to my landings at flatland sites they were distinctly untidy.
<snip>

Some of us have that feeling for years... :)

When I feel it gets tricky is if someone from a site at the bottom of a ridge goes to a hilltop site (looks down, lots of height below, then looks at the reference area and :eek:, sudden change of plan), or vice versa.

I'd also imagine a PPL-type person might find the concept of no engine, no go-around quite entertaining...

snapper1
5th Mar 2008, 12:02
At Derbyshire and Lancashire Gliding Club we get lift from thermal, ridge and wave. If it's not flyable we have a simulator.
We also have the best bar in UK gliding, on-site catering and accomodation.
Mid week you will be made welcome by an entertaining group of old f*rts who's bullsh*t tales of derring do will keep you amused for hours.

BackPacker
5th Mar 2008, 12:30
I'd also imagine a PPL-type person might find the concept of no engine, no go-around quite entertaining...

Definitely. But that's slightly compensated by a 1:30 or 1:40 glide ratio, whereas the types I normally fly sometimes don't even reach 1:10. Oh, and having airbrakes sounds pretty cool to me too.

The other thing is a different undercarriage. No nosewheel but this center-thingy on which you've got to balance the plane sounds interesting too. Fortunately with a glider you don't have these long taxis down a 1500 meter runway.

And I'll probably miss a cockpit filled with electric thingies that show you where you are or shows others who you are, or go beep at various times. And I imagine the checklist in a glider in general is a tad shorter than in a powered plane.

cats_five
5th Mar 2008, 13:57
Definitely. But that's slightly compensated by a 1:30 or 1:40 glide ratio, whereas the types I normally fly sometimes don't even reach 1:10. Oh, and having airbrakes sounds pretty cool to me too.

Yes, the brakes are pretty effective on most fibreglass gliders (and on K13s), but you are unlikely to fly a 40:1 glider on a 5-day course.

The other thing is a different undercarriage. No nosewheel but this center-thingy on which you've got to balance the plane sounds interesting too. Fortunately with a glider you don't have these long taxis down a 1500 meter runway.

Aerotows can take some time to get airborne (it feels like forever!)... Thankfully aileron control is usually established fairly quickly (hopefully not long after the wing runner is outpaced) and if you are winch launching with a decent breeze you can be into the air almost before you have time to blink.

And I'll probably miss a cockpit filled with electric thingies that show you where you are or shows others who you are, or go beep at various times. And I imagine the checklist in a glider in general is a tad shorter than in a powered plane.

The electrical things are mostly distractions for instructional local soaring (which can be very crowded), though the electric vario is exceedlingly useful. Remember it's VFR only.

The checklist is CBSIFTCBE -I imagine it is shorter as there's nothing to do with checking fuel & engine sort of things!

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/CBSIFTCBE

There are also a couple of strange things you work with your feet, and the instructor sits behind you so he/she can't give your knee a friendly squeeze. However it's an ideal place to for him/her to beat you over the head from!

ProfChrisReed
5th Mar 2008, 18:34
Backpacker:

For all practical purposes until you set off cross country you have only three instruments:

ASI - no use on aerotow because you're going where the tug goes. Rather important when winching. Needed on approach. The rest of the time don't look at it.

Altimeter - needed to know when your aerotow is over, and to work out whether you can get back to the airfield, and if your site is near airspace. Not needed for flying circuits (if you start using it, the instructor will cover it up).

Variometer - just listen, don't look at the stupid needle.

99% of the time lookout and fly what you see. You'll learn far faster as well.

Arclite01
5th Mar 2008, 19:00
Long Mynd
Long Mynd
Long Mynd
Long Mynd
Long Mynd

oh did I mention Long Mynd ?

Just the best - honest

Arc

:ok:

rauxaman
5th Mar 2008, 20:27
CBSIFTCBE... I always liked the last bit "eventualities" :ooh:

Sedbergh
6th Mar 2008, 07:34
Eventualities

Well I do tell pupils "Always be pleasantly surprised when you successfully get to the top of the launch"

But then 99% of the time there is an eventuality it's me pulling the release lower down. Hee hee, now sort that one out:E:sad::sad::D

Instructors have to get their amusement somewhere!:ok:

Dave Unwin
6th Mar 2008, 07:45
In the West - Black Mountains Gliding Club, Talgarth. The ONLY club in the UK that logs more hours than launches. East side - Buckminster GC, Saltby. Am a member of both. two fine clubs.

squawking 7700
6th Mar 2008, 10:02
I'll second Saltby - did a 5 day course there (a long time ago!) - just one downside, the CFI's jokes are terrible!!!
Free airspace, good fleet, aerotow and winch, good pubs in the local villages and if you give them a ring they'll fix you up with some local B&B's.

BackPacker
6th Mar 2008, 10:17
ASI - no use on aerotow because you're going where the tug goes. Rather important when winching. Needed on approach. The rest of the time don't look at it.

I would imagine that the ASI would be used to trim for, and to maintain the optimum speed for the lowest sink rate, and thus would be rather important to check? Am I wrong? Or is this something that you derive primarily from the variometer?

ProfChrisReed
6th Mar 2008, 12:54
Backpacker:

I would imagine that the ASI would be used to trim for, and to maintain the optimum speed for the lowest sink rate, and thus would be rather important to check? Am I wrong? Or is this something that you derive primarily from the variometer?

For training, yes, you are wrong. You learn to fly by attitude, and therefore trim for that attitude. The variometer tells you up or down - don't watch the damn needle! No need to get technical at this stage.

The attitude will give you a speed, so you can then check the ASI to see what speed you have and, if necessary, correct the attitude.

For XC flying the speed can be critical (and it's not lowest sink rate you're looking at but optimum speed for what you're trying to achieve, which is not a fixed value). By then, you can probably set the speed +/- 2 or 3 kt without looking at the ASI.

For learning to fly gliders, the instructor will show you the "normal flying attitude" - that's pretty much all you will need until you start the approach (or wherever in the circuit your instructor likes you to put on approach speed, which varies with the type of airfield).

Watching the instruments makes glider flying harder. Lookout, and fly what you see.

Stable Ish
6th Mar 2008, 20:29
Hi guys, been away for awhile. - thanks again for all the replies. The list of clubs with good recommendations seems endless!
We have all done quite a bit of powered flying but are completely new to gliding. We've been looking mainly a ridge sites for no other reason than ridge running looks like fun ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aumO0ZHwAro - I'm sure most of you have seen it before).
Regarding landing/soloing at hill sites - my landings are never that good anyway so any excuse for a ropey one is welcomed!

snapper1
7th Mar 2008, 07:05
Great video but dont expect to be doing that on your 5 day course!:D

cats_five
7th Mar 2008, 07:45
If you hunt around on YouTube, you will find videos from a number of the sites you are thinking about. Health warning: Some of them show items of 'airmanship' which will get you in deep trouble with the CFI...

2hotwot
8th Mar 2008, 16:43
Just a note that has not been mentioned, that doing a gliding course is a really good way of launching yourself into gliding. Getting to solo stage can be really frustrating with weather delays and queues meaning that week by week progress can be slow. A course, weather permitting, will pack in the early instruction to great benefit.
Have fun - gliding is surprisingly different to power pilots - see the worried look on instructor's faces when you tell them you can fly!!!

gsora
8th Mar 2008, 19:42
Try York Gliding Centre at Rufforth near York, courses are tailored for individuals

Sedbergh
10th Mar 2008, 08:58
Ridge sites I can personally recommend (both for the ridge and bar facilities) are:

Long Mynd (excellent ridge & bar, essentially winch only, bungee in exceptional conditions, interesting approaches & landings - on top of ridge) - Midlands Gliding Club

Sutton Bank (excellent ridge & bar, aerotow & winch, landings less interesting than the Mynd - on top of ridge) - Yorkshire GC

Camphill (ridge a bit small but good bar, winch only, interesting landings from some directions - on top of ridge) - Derby & Lancs GC

Portmoak (good ridge & bar, definitely winch, probably also aerotow, fairly easy field to arrive on - airfield at bottom of ridge) - Scottish Gliding Centre

Feshiebridge (wondrous ridge to over 3000' amsl, nice bar, winch & a/t but I'm not sure whether they do 5 day courses - airfield at bottom of ridge) - Cairngorm GC

Talgarth (glorious ridge, don't recall a bar, a/t only, interesting landings - airfield at bottom of ridge) - Black Mountains GC

Challock (good ridge & bar, winch & a/t, landings OK - airfield at top of ridge) - Kent GC

Parham (good ridge in northerly winds only, good bar, winch & a/t, landings ok - airfield at bottom of ridge) - Southdown GC

Failure to mention other sites just means that I havn't flown at them. If it's a group of you, the bar facilities will clearly be one of the top priorities!

cats_five
10th Mar 2008, 12:12
As far as I know there is *no* winching at Feshie - the options when the cable or weak link break are just to horrible to contemplate.

Dave Unwin
10th Mar 2008, 12:40
Talgarth is neither at the top nor the bottom of the ridge. It is approx 1200 ft below the ridgetop, and 600ft above the valley. It has never had a bar, but it is a beautiful spot for an evening BBQ.

Sedbergh
10th Mar 2008, 13:42
a) Feshie used to winch launch! Certainly 10 years back they only had a tug twice a year when Barry & Mo Meek brought theirs in for the October wave season - which is when I went there. They had a wondefully cobbled up Bedford truck for winching.

And I quite agree, it must have been a leap of confidence to go for the ridge over the trees from a relatively low launch, and cable breaks don't bear thinking about. But they did!: :uhoh: :uhoh: The trees at the end of the strip were a lot smaller though!

I last flew there in September last year after a break of 10 years, they've now got their own full time tug so may well have junked the winch. :D

b) Well if Talgarth still don't have a bar, cross them off the holiday list! :=

Dave Unwin
10th Mar 2008, 13:59
If the purpose of going on a course is to learn to fly a sailplane, then surely the fact that Talgarth is the only club in the UK that logs more hours than launches is of far more relevance than the lack of a bar?

cats_five
13th Mar 2008, 18:54
Hopeing you let us know where you book, and especially that you report back afterwards!

BRL
13th Mar 2008, 21:25
Anyone know if Ringmer is still on the go?

cats_five
13th Mar 2008, 21:29
They seem to be:

http://www.sussexgliding.co.uk/

Stable Ish
14th Mar 2008, 08:09
still at the deciding stage, hopefully going to book something soon. I'll let you all know what club we eventually get round to choosing, and hopefully report back when it's done