PDA

View Full Version : Chatteris Aerodrome Plate

FlyEJF
3rd Mar 2008, 08:40
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possibnle to get the Chatteris aerodrome plate online anywhere? I have had a look in the specific aerodrome section in the AIP @ http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/html/aipad2.htm but can't find it.

I know it's in the Pooley's guide but i haven't got a copy of that at home.
Can anyone help?

cheers

Ed

snapper41
3rd Mar 2008, 10:25
Not a plate per se, but you might find this useful:

http://aaa-microlight.co.uk/

Chatteris is my home airfield - loads of runways, but do listen out for the parachutes; hold off to the east if they are jumping, until you hear 'all canopies down'.

hobbit1983
3rd Mar 2008, 10:53
Crikey - 10 runways!

FougaMagister
3rd Mar 2008, 11:36
Guess what? If it's not a licensed airfield, then you won't find it in the AIP! Better try http://www.ukga.com there might be something there - at least a PPR phone no. where they'll tell you all you need to know.

Cheers :cool:

snapper41
3rd Mar 2008, 12:48
Crikey - 10 runways!

Yep - who needs cross-wind landings!?!

hobbit1983
3rd Mar 2008, 12:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbit1983 View Post
Crikey - 10 runways!
Yep - who needs cross-wind landings!?!

http://aaa-microlight.co.uk/resources/runway-layout-2.jpg

Definitely the way forward :ok:

FlyEJF
3rd Mar 2008, 12:52
Thanks for the info. The reason i ask is that i think in Pooley's guide it says that flight overhead the airfield should not be made at any time.

??

Ed

Brooklands
3rd Mar 2008, 13:13
The reason i ask is that i think in Pooley's guide it says that flight overhead the airfield should not be made at any time

Thats because the North London Parachute center are based there. Flying through the overhead of any airfield (or drop zone) where parachuting takes place is a bad idea

Brooklands

snapper41
3rd Mar 2008, 13:13
The reason for no overhead joins is the parachuting activity. It's pretty much constant, 7 days a week, if the wx is good enough. You wouldn't want to join overhead and find a pair of size 9 boots going past the window...

Have a read of the joining info on the website link I posted earlier. If you need any more, PM me. :)

Brooklands
3rd Mar 2008, 13:15
Snap(per) :):):)

Brooklands

FlyEJF
3rd Mar 2008, 14:26
Yes, i understand that there is intense parachuting activity there. I'll plan to miss the airfield to the south. Probably make Chatteris village/town a waypoint.

Cheers

Ed

Mixed Up
3rd Mar 2008, 15:07
That reminds me - I must get my compass swung.;)

Zorst
3rd Mar 2008, 17:17
Very amusing - why mow ten runways when you could just have a 'proper' all-over grass aerodrome, land-able in any direction, just like... what was the place... chap who had a hangar at Staverton, then moved to his own field... Somebody Norman, perhaps? Oh crikey, the Alzheimers is settinig in.

What was I saying?

wsmempson
3rd Mar 2008, 18:08
Torquil Norman?

Mixed Up
3rd Mar 2008, 19:42
Vic Norman at Rencomb?

The Flying Pram
3rd Mar 2008, 22:15
Very amusing - why mow ten runways when you could just have a 'proper' all-over grass aerodrome, land-able in any direction, just like... what was the place...

Swanton Morley? - Before the Army took over and it became Robertson Barracks.

snapper41
4th Mar 2008, 08:11
Barry Norman?
Spiny Norman?
Norman the Storeman?
Norman Wisdom?
Norman Hunter?

Zorst
7th Mar 2008, 20:10
Vic Norman at Rencomb?

That's the one; I'm grateful. Happy memories... Stearmans, girls, bikinis, sunshine, tins of Mir...

robert mailer
7th Mar 2008, 20:38
do they well come light aircraft 152 :)or is it all micro lights

snapper41
17th Mar 2008, 10:00
GA is welcome too; the parachutists use a GAF Nomad as the drop aircraft.

tmmorris
17th Mar 2008, 11:59
The entry in the VFR flight guide for White Waltham (not sure if it's also in the AIP) states that although there are marked runways, all the runway surface is usable.

My one experience of Chatteris suggests that they aren't particularly attentive to mowing the grass short - I suppose that's what comes of having a STOL beast operating there normally - and the non-runway grass was about a foot long when I went!

Make sure you know the joining procedures properly: I was shouted at by the chief pilot despite discussing joining procedures on the phone before hand and ensuring there was no para-dropping in progress by calling on the radio first...

Tim