PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Canada

PompeyPaul
3rd Mar 2008, 08:27
I'm off on holiday to Toronto in late April and was hoping to get some flying down whilst out there. Although the regulations for flying in the US are well documented on these forums, Canada seems much quieter. Does anybody know what I'll need to do to get some £60/hour PA28 flying times out there ? Is it a visit to the embassy and an exam when I get there ?

Or can I do a check ride and go ?

BRL
3rd Mar 2008, 11:49
Oh my god! Small world! I will be there for the last couple of weeks in April too!

Anyone want to take me up for a quick spin around Toronto area feel free to get in touch.... Will buy the lunch/drinks in return!

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Mar 2008, 11:57
A few years ago it was something along the lines of

(1) turn up uannounced at local Transport for Canada office with UK licence
(2) bully them into doing it on the spot rather than posting it back to you weeks later (it probably helped that the instructor who took me there knew the system and the people)
(3) go and have lunch
(4) return to pick up your temporary Canadian licence.

Oh, and they didn't care about the "non-JAR compliant" stamp on my medical - there's no way my eyesight meets Canadian PPL standards but they were perfectly happy with my UK medical!

(Plus of course whatever check ride anyone wants before letting you take their aeroplane away.)

PompeyPaul
3rd Mar 2008, 12:06
Oh my god! Small world! I will be there for the last couple of weeks in April too!

Anyone want to take me up for a quick spin around Toronto area feel free to get in touch.... Will buy the lunch/drinks in return! I'm not booked, definately going yet but it looks likely. I'll let you know and we can go out for a brimble.

I'd love to fly to the US but they may be a bit to difficult for authorities to cope with.

PompeyPaul
3rd Mar 2008, 12:08
Thanks for the info Gertrude!

S-Works
3rd Mar 2008, 12:48
I fly in Canada all the time, for private flying out of Debert and Monkton.

Getting a Canadian PPL is easy, turn up at the TC Office at big airports, show your licence and medical and pay and you get a 1 year licence on the spot.

Easy!

I went and did the ATP exams as well, simple and friendly system. Flying in Canada is great and cheap! Vast wilderness that makes you appreciate your place in the scheme of things.

jxc
3rd Mar 2008, 13:43
Hi All

Once i have passed my ppl 1/2 way there doing some hour building in Canada might be easier than the states can you recommend best place to go ?

J

gasax
3rd Mar 2008, 13:54
Too enormous a country to recommend where to go.

Choose which bit of Canada first would be my advice. I've flown out of Montreal, Victoria and Campbell river. All pretty good flying - with a fair amount of choice. I've friends who've visited Nova Scotia and Toronto. The only negative aspects was the time it takes to get around the greater Toronto area especially during the commuting periods.

My flying has been on floats so the Seaplane Pilots Assoication is a good starting point. COPA have an equally good site which has good coverage of the land based stuff. The only disadvantage of the more remote areas is that the choice of operator is much more limited.

But small aeroplane, very big country, interesting landing strips/lakes, it doesn't get much better!

GSSF
3rd Mar 2008, 17:49
PompeyPaul

As others have said very easy to get flying in Canada, go to any transport canada office and get a Foreign Licence Validation Certificate which costs $45 and is valid for a year.. http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/personnel/fore.htm

If you want any recommendations in the Montreal area let me know