PDA

View Full Version : 747-8 Avionics & Flight Deck?

FirmamentFX
3rd Mar 2008, 01:55
Hi guys,

I have tried searching on this forum for 747-8 but unfortunately that comes up with nothing and 747 is under the minimum word length...

Does anyone have any information regarding the flight deck upgrades to the 747-8 as compared the the -400 series? I have read that commonality witht he -400 is being kept, but also that their are many upgrades.

Are their any upgrades to the displays (Vert. Situation Display, any upgrades in line with the 787)?

Is the flight deck being brought in line at all with the 777/787?

Any info that anyone has would be very much appreciated! :-)

Thanks,

Martin

mutt
3rd Mar 2008, 08:35
Listed upgrades are: HF DataLink, EFB Provisions, Multifunction displays, new FMC’s, Tabber control device and electronic checklists. It will be a common rating with the -400 requiring 2-3 days of classroom/CBT.

787 and 777 functionality and operational commonality

787 technology
Most advanced engines
Interior architecture
Flight-deck features
Advanced materials
Wing design

777 technology
Advanced alloys
Flight-deck features

747-8 design

Increases capacity and range
Adds aerodynamic performance
Improves passenger appeal
Increases operational commonality

Compared to the -400

51 more seats and 28% more revenue cargo
8,000-nmi (14,815-km) range
16% lower fuel costs per seat
12% lower seat-mile costs
Utilizes today’s infrastructure
New innovative interior features
QC2 noise guaranteed
747 commonality
Highest efficiency quad
7% better aerodynamically
Good Neighbor
30% quieter

Mutt

underread east
3rd Mar 2008, 09:34
"Good Neighbor".. So it'll feed the cat and cut the grass when I'm away??? :}

FirmamentFX
3rd Mar 2008, 10:25
Thanks very much!!

M

FirmamentFX
4th Mar 2008, 12:37
Sorry guys - one further question.

Is Boeing going single segment flaps for weight, or are they sticking with the current rig for cost?

Thanks!

M

bjones4
4th Mar 2008, 16:27
They're going to single slotted outboard and double slotted inboard, with redesigned flap tracks and fairings.

Lots of info here (http://www.wingsasia.org/images/boeing_review_747-8.pdf)

mutt
4th Mar 2008, 17:00
Have any airlines or VIP operators chosen the SKYLOFT option?

Mutt

bjones4
4th Mar 2008, 18:20
No, I believe the concept was dropped completely infavour of simply offering upper deck galley options.

mutt
5th Mar 2008, 02:52
No, I believe the concept was dropped completely infavour of simply offering upper deck galley optionsIt was offered to us last week, just wondering if anyone else went for it.

Mutt

bjones4
5th Mar 2008, 11:50
Cant argue with that, but Klaus Brauer from Boeing stated in Flightglobal last year that the concept had been shelved.

Consideration was also given to using more of the upper spaces aft of the forward upper deck, but the location of several systems made this too costly, says Mooney. Launch customer Lufthansa, plus other potential operators, have shown strong interest in locating the galley and galley cart stowage in the aft upper space. The other upper space study for "Sky Lofts" has been shelved. "The airlines didn't know how to make revenue out of it," says Brauer, who adds that most studies relied on premium pricing for business class, which threatened to "cannibalise first class".

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/04/17/213230/space-race-the-battle-between-airbus-and-boeing-to-produce-the-best-next-generation.html

I suppose theres no harm in still seeing what interest there is for it though.

chornedsnorkack
5th Mar 2008, 12:48
Skylofts already exist on 747-400:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Japan-Airlines--/Boeing-747-446/1013894/L/

So, the airline customer of 747-800 - Lufthansa - is interested in adding galleys, but not passengers?

As for the four or so VIP customers... when it is not an airliner, what do you have to answer for a boss who asks why he should not sleep there?

Especially a boss who is the state himself and therefore free to make up the relevant certification rules to fit his whims?

mutt
5th Mar 2008, 13:19
what do you have to answer for a boss who asks why he should not sleep there?Do you really expect the boss to walk past all the peasants in order to access his sleeping quarters?

As for the four or so VIP customersOnly 4????? Dont think so :)

Mutt

mutt
5th Mar 2008, 15:27
Skylofts already exist on 747-400:That actually looks like a normal crew rest area in the -400, and not a SKYLOFT.

Mutt

bjones4
5th Mar 2008, 15:42
I think the closest thing to the SkyLoft idea currently in service is perhaps the rather large crew rest area on Etihad' 777-300ER.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Etihad-Airways/Boeing-777-3FX-ER/1008034/L/

Theres a decent amount of space there, pales into comparison though with the 747 that could fit a 737 interior up there.

chornedsnorkack
5th Mar 2008, 17:34
True, this is the standard crew rest. However, this gives an idea of the available headroom and width.

Could a -400 or -800 attic receive a more comfortable interior, and be used by passengers?

mutt
5th Mar 2008, 17:45
However, this gives an idea of the available headroom and widthNo it doesnt as its a different part of the aircraft, look at the other link for the 777-300 and you will get a better idea. In the -8, the offered space is between door 4 and 5.

Mutt