PDA

View Full Version : Mode S Up Date

Billredshoes
2nd Mar 2008, 16:06
Hi All

Just been to Wellesbourne were I was given a copy of this page

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=810&pagetype=90

headed Mode S Home page it looks like we ALL have to to complete one of these ASAP

Dated 29/02/08

**Phase 1 Exemption Registration**
To register for the Mode S Phase 1 General Exemption please complete form DAP 1901 (https://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=form&id=3038).

So hit that site and registrater your aeroplane .

robin
2nd Mar 2008, 16:19
Make sure you do register for the exemption, but it is not all that is needed.

There is a full consultation document on the CAA Mode S website about the phase 2 of the consultation with an indication of further steps.

In particular, the extension of Mode S carriage to gliders, the establishment of transponder mandatory zones and limitations on international flights.

The LAA, BGA, BMAA will be looking at this over the coming weeks to ensure that these changes don't impact too harshly on the GA fleet.

But make no mistake, MOde S is still very much on the CAA's agenda, and we need to make individual responses before the 31st May.

As a start, look at the estimated costs for this exercise. They are truly frightening falling as they do on sectors that can least afford it

Julian Hensey
20th Mar 2008, 10:40
This is a major scare for the hot air balloon community. It is both technically impossible (Mode S tiny transponders are not in existence yet as far as my research finds) and not wanted by the majority of ATCOs (from what we hear in pub chat), but it seems to be on the CAA "to do list".

Since most balloons that do fly in controlled airspace have specific access agreements with their regional airports, then the sledgehammer approach by the authorities seems entirely out of proportion.

robin
20th Mar 2008, 13:04
I'm afraid that the CAA may chose to ignore these issues. If gliders (the real problem sector in this) can be fitted with a current Mode S, even if they need an extra battery, then all other users (except, perhaps the microlighters)will lose the reason to object.

German and Dutch glider pilots are already fitting out, and, as I understand it, will switch on the tx for the duration of their flight within the designated airspace.

We do have a long-ish transition period, though

gpn01
20th Mar 2008, 13:51
The issue with gliders isn't as simple as just needing an additional battery. Other things that need to be resolved include:

- A risk assessment for the pilot due to the restriction on where a device can be installed (likely to be transmitting very close to the pilots body)
- Finding a suitable location to install the device in a way that it's accessible to the pilot (glider instrument panels are much smaller than most powered aircraft)
- Cost of installation and ongoing maintenance/certification versus value of the airframe
- Resolution of interoperability issues (many gliders don't have a radio, so how can they be told which unique code to squark and who/what/how are colision warnings resolved?)
- Overcoming the problem of where a battery can be fitted (particularly of the size needed to run a transponder for the 8 hours that some gliders are airborne for)

I'm sure these, and many other, problems are affecting the GA community too (particularly microlights, homebuilds, ULM's, paragliders and balloonists). All this in the name of safety improvement in an environment with an already low accident rate. Let's face it folks, the real purpose behind this is to enable UAV surveilance to be introduced more widely, to provide the CAA with a platform for charging ALL aviation and to justify the continued existence of an organsation that is losing its existing responsibilities to EASA. Choose which theory appeals!

Rod1
20th Mar 2008, 14:25
“the real purpose behind this is to enable UAV surveilance to be introduced more widely, to provide the CAA with a platform for charging ALL aviation and to justify the continued existence of an organsation that is losing its existing responsibilities to EASA. Choose which theory appeals!”

Having been involved in the Mode S issues for some time and having attended a meeting with the CAA on the 15th of this month I have to say the above is not correct. We have already won the battle to stop the CAA from forcing all flying machines to use Mode S, but we will need to do a little more in consultation 2 to keep things sensible. I will post more when the LAA has finished its analysis of the consultation documents, but if you want to fly to France this year you will not need mode S (I have been asked this 1000 times)

Rod1

robin
20th Mar 2008, 21:24
Gpn

Don't bank on your comments being show-stoppers.

The exemptions and transition period will help, but the whole process needs watching.

As Rod said, watch out for the LAA overview and read it carefully. Then, if you agree, make sure you write in to the CAA consultation 'IN YOUR OWN WORDS' a reasoned case.

gpn01
20th Mar 2008, 22:57
Very good point.

This is an issue that we need to ensure that everyone's voice is heard.