PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Example of CRM?

V2-OMG!
29th Feb 2008, 19:55
I am fascinated by the dynamics of CRM or "the psychology of crisis" as I call it.

I think one of the worst examples of the principles of CRM not being applied, resulting in a catastrophic airline crash is the 1977 runway collsion in Tenerife between the KLM and Pan Am jumbos.

To condense the CRM aspect of this crash, it has been suggested many times that had the KLM F/O and/or F/E taken a more confident stance as to whether or not the Pan Am had cleared the runway before the captain began his take-off roll, the collision may have been averted. The halting query of the KLM F/E, "Did he not clear the runway - that Pan American?" cannot help but elicit another question: What was really going on in the minds of the KLM crew that day?

A couple of years I was privy to a NOVA documentary which indicted that deficiency in CRM as being the major cause of this disaster. This was further borne out by another KLM pilot who spoke of the kind of company revernence that was felt towards the KLM captain, Jacob Van Zanten. "Van Zanten was the type of senior captain that all of us, as airline pilots, eventually wanted to be. I mean, this was the top of the food chain. This was the guy who was not only a family man—well respected, well loved—at KLM he was at the top of the management chain as a pilot. He was the head of safety; he was an individual who everybody at that airline looked up to. This was a fellow whose face was on most of the advertising about KLM all over the world. I mean this was the best and the brightest."

Unfortunately, this was to become a kind of fatal reverence which will forevermore tarnish the memory and reputation of Van Zanten as being one of "the best and the brightest."

fesmokie
1st Mar 2008, 00:08
A Sad story to say the least. We can only hope a lesson was learned over this tragedy and that all crewmembers worldwide get to witness this event during CRM training. I did at my last job and it sure hit home.

V2-OMG!
1st Mar 2008, 01:38
fesmokie, thanks for your comment.

This is the KLM advertisement featuring Captain Van Zanten that proudly proclaimed KLM's dedication to "punctuality" which appeared in many magazines during the 1970s. Eerie, to say the least.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:KLM_Magazine_that_contains_Captain_Jacob_Veldhuyzen_Va n_Zanten.jpg

There is also a famous photo of the Pan Am F/O, Robert Bragg, taken right after the crash where he is watching the wreckage of both planes burn, and the look of horror and shock on his face is one of the most profound aviation-related photos I have ever been privy to.

If anyone knows that photo (or where it can be accessed) can you please post here?

Thank-you.

longsleep
1st Mar 2008, 14:20
HI,

The reason that CRM wasn't applied in this crash was pretty simple: CRM was non exisitent in these days.

This crash is what started CRM, because out of this crash the conclussion was finally made that you have to operate as a team and not as sole individuals with a steep hierarchy.

Meanwhile CRM develloped through different stages/phases and if I remember well at the moment the CRM being trained is phase 5.....

V2-OMG!
1st Mar 2008, 19:58
longsleep, thanks for bringing that to our attention. But even if CRM had
yet to be instigated formally as part of any pilot's training, do you not think that flight crews still had an obligation to point out any safety/operational deficiencies amongst themselves?

BTW, does anyone know what crash instigated the sterile cockpit rule?
I'm thinking of the United B727 crash - where the captain was yacking to the F/A in the jumpseat - ironically about having something good to put on the CVR in case they crashed, the flaps were not set during pre-flight...resulting in insufficient lift on take-off.