PDA

View Full Version : What to do following a near miss

lederhosen
29th Feb 2008, 08:50
In the format of the Air Law exam, answer the following hypothetical question.

Q. You enter a CTR (D) in your light twin misreporting your position so as to save time. After a thorough investigation the local aviation administration exonerates all other parties and takes you to court for causing a near miss with a departing 737, should you:

A. Ring up the tower and threaten them with your lawyer.

B. Take up another hobby to which you are more suited.

C. Make a retaliatory police complaint against the Captain of the 737.

D. Start saving for a hefty fine.

Supplementary question: For pilots answering that A. and C. are both the right way to react, should this have any impact on how the court might treat them?

Radar
29th Feb 2008, 09:41
Supplementary question: For pilots answering that A. and C. are both the right way to react, should this have any impact on how the court might treat them?

Definitely. The court should ensure that, subsequently, answers B and D are the correct answers.

ATCO Fred
29th Feb 2008, 10:53
Hang on! Isn't Answer A the automated pre-programmed pilot response:=.

You know - the one about offence being the best form of defence.

We don't have radar - aircraft departed with DF indicating he was turning right when the clearance was for a left turn.

"Are you turning left? DF indicates you are going right?"

"Negative turning left!"

Rings local radar unit to discover aircraft has gone right and currently infringing danger area!!

Can you fill for A 1261 for being told porky pies!!:E

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Feb 2008, 11:26
Fred: 939 (if it still exists).... then have the pillock shot!!

Loki
29th Feb 2008, 11:35
The only time I took 939 action, it was quietly forgotten about.

lederhosen
29th Feb 2008, 14:55
What pray is 939 action?

Mistakes happen, but continuing to fly towards a runway with a 737 taking off the other way in my opinion almost qualifies for a Darwin award.

When the radar plot shows what happened and months later you still maintain that you have not done anything wrong, then you are demonstrating that you should not be flying.

Standard Noise
29th Feb 2008, 15:54
Ah the days of the 939........when life was so much more simple.

Radar
29th Feb 2008, 18:26
lederhosen,

My point exactly. If the actions outlined in your original post occurred after an oficial investigation, the the guy / gal should not be in a position to strap an aircraft to their a$$ again.

lederhosen
29th Feb 2008, 19:39
That is my understanding and we are in total agreement. Lets see what happens.