PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Gander in 1987???

fesmokie
28th Feb 2008, 14:09
I,m looking for any pics of an aircraft that landed in Gander on June 20 1987.
And... it landed in Abbotsford two days before this.

It was a 1938 L-18 Loadstar ( N7001) and was called The Spirit of J&B and was on its final leg of it's Around the World record flight with 3 Frenchman and 1 Canadian on board. It's purpose was to break the record set by Millionair Howard Hughes with a L-14 in 1938. They beat the record by a couple of hours.

I would most appreciate any pics or press release's of this event. Please PM me or post the pics here if you like.:ok:

CaptW5
28th Feb 2008, 23:06
I remember the evnt, as well as someone posting an article about it either here or at AvCanada. I did work with the Canadian engineer on board this flight.

This article is not in relation to the flight, but it mentions the airplane in question.
Pictures at page 4

The Lockheed L18-56, Lodestar N7001, acquired by the association :
From a letter of Mr. Patrick Fourticq, Commander at Air France, Director of the Operations of the
Aeropostale company and ex-owner of the wreck:
“This aircraft was bought by Moet&Chandon in 1986 for a media operation which consisted in remaking the round
the World flight performed by Howard Hughes in a Lodestar in 1938. This operation was a considerable success. The
plane, bought in Miami, had been completely rebuilt, with large expenses by the IGN in France. Work of very high
level by professionals. In 1987, the aircraft was in a mechanical state higher than a new plane! (Modifications,
instrumentation etc...). Only the interior had remained in cargo version. The plane was US registered (N7001) but all
the taxes having been discharged it has freedom of movement in Europe. It is always classified FAR125 (transport of
passengers and freight). We flow without any concern to destinations like Paris, North Pole, Fairbanks, Los Angeles,
Miami, New York, Alexandria, Sanaa, Mombasa, La Réunion, then Egypt etc. Nearly 400 hours of flight”
Our L18 will be the only flying specimen in Europe. Our first research leads us to think that it does not
remain about it more than six in the world. Our Lodestar is so a rare plane.

http://www.bamfbamrs.be/SOT/Lodestaruk.pdf

Pic (1989):
http://www.pictaero.com/en/pictures/picture,4738

Then I noticed that the best answer and link is in the French forum here.
Sure can't find any references here in Canada.

kingoftheslipstream
29th Feb 2008, 14:27
Gander '87...

I did not have sex with that woman!

:}

fesmokie
29th Feb 2008, 15:28
Thanks for your response. I have seen the Sabena article however it has a French twist to it because I do know the Engineer too and, he was not given any credit for his involvement with the restoration of the aircraft in that article in the Sabena website. I know that he spent 9 months in France, the first several months at a military base in Reims working on the aircraft by himself in a bare hanger with No heat and no equipment or tools to begin the restoration project with. He was forced to go to IGN after the several unexpected press flights around Europe took a toll on the the aircraft and the project got behind. He directed and worked the maintenance at IGN as they were not an FAA certified repair station.

Where do you know him from? you can PM me if the need be.

Again if anyone has any pics of its stop in Gander in June of 1987 that would be just Great !!!

CaptW5
29th Feb 2008, 18:28
Art worked at North Cariboo for a while. I was there as a pilot from 78-85.

fesmokie
29th Feb 2008, 20:04
Yes he did work there. I heard through the grapevine that over the years he would occasionaly call Dan and say Hi on the company freq as he was passing close to Ft St John in the L-1011 or the B-747 freighter. I beleive he was with Kalitta for the past 12 years or so. I met him in Florida when he took on the L-18 project and have followed him a bit since. Good guy.:ok: Thanks for the info.

pigboat
29th Feb 2008, 20:13
Fesmokie check your PM's.

fesmokie
4th Mar 2008, 21:38
Thank you very much Pigboat for allyour help.:ok:

Anyone else have any pics? I forgot to put in the title of this post but I'm also looking for any pics from June 18, 1987 when the aircraft landed in Abbotsford, B.C.

Thanx in advance.