PDA

View Full Version : Bornemouth Zone

JP1
26th Feb 2008, 22:01
For my second post PPL flight, I have decided to transit the Bournemouth/Solent zone and then fly along the coast of the Isle of Wight. I have a question regarding the zone transit if anyone cares to answer.

Q) The chart states that the zone frequency is Solent, but from training I think you call up Bournmouth. I have not transisted the zone for probably 9 months hence have some doubt. Am I correct?

Thanks

Nipper2
26th Feb 2008, 22:30
If you want to transit through the Southampton zone, call them on 120.225 Similarly for Bournemouth call on 119.475

Occasionally, if you are going from one to the other they will hand you over.

Though they have received some bad press in the past, the Southampton guys are always unfailingly helpful to me. They do seem to have a knack for identifying bimblers and keeping them away. Provided you sound professional, follow instructions and go where you say you are going to go you should have no problem.

JP1
26th Feb 2008, 22:39
Thanks,

I must have been wrong then, I could have sworn for a Stoney Cross-Yarmouth transit it was Bournemouth I called up.

Cheers
JP1

LysanderV8
27th Feb 2008, 05:23
From my experience, if you are going to transit Stoney Cross to Beaulieu below 2000 ft you speak to Bournemouth. If you want to enter and transit the Class D airspace at, say, 3,500 ft, then you speak to Solent. Having said that, I have often been transferred from one to the other, especially if Bournemouth is very busy.

englishal
27th Feb 2008, 07:30
Bournemouth's airspace stops at 2000, and Solent is over the top. If I were to transit Bournemouth at < 2000' I'd call them, otherwise I'd call Solent.

For StonyX to Beaulieu <2000 you don't need to talk to anyone, but if I wanted a RIS I'd call Bournemouth. Above this I'd call Solent for a transit.

Mariner9
27th Feb 2008, 08:24
The chart states that the zone frequency is Solent, but from training I think you call up Bournmouth.

The information is available on the chart-Bournemouth control the CTR, Solent control the CTA. Probably not the best procedure to rely on memories of a flight 9 months ago!

Having said that, if you did call up the wrong unit, they'd soon put you right, Solent are not as scary as often suggested on here :rolleyes:

Enjoy the flight!

hobbit1983
27th Feb 2008, 09:30
Solent are not as scary as often suggested on here

Indeed, got a zone transit from them last weekend, East to West, and very helpful they were too.

In my (humble) experience, Bournemouth are also very helpful and as far as I can recall, have never refused me a FIS/RIS.

englishal
27th Feb 2008, 15:12
E/W W/E Solent transit is great and very easy. 3000' straight across the top of Southampton and never been refused to date.

Likewise Bournemouth N/S S/N overhead. Also did Sandbanks to Tarrent Rushton so we could see my mates pad in Sandbanks from the air (and wave at his girlfriend) :)

All very helpful.

robin
27th Feb 2008, 19:47
Not sure about your routing.

It is easy enough to route around Bounemouth without speaking to anyone )bit daft though)

Perhaps if you let us know where you are coming from and the destination....

JP1
27th Feb 2008, 20:15
Post #3 Stoney Cross-Yarmouth

Thanks I have the info. Obviously as implicity implied from post #1 it's all about flying more advanced (obviously that word is relative when you only have 1.5 hrs post PPL) profiles now I have been let loose.

So its a transit through the class D airspace and it's clear (from your responses) it's as the chart stipulates:- you call up up Solent Radar.

I posted because I couldn't remember if there was a unpublished local procedure that meant it was Bournmouth that generally handled the transit.

Thanks
JP1

Mariner9
28th Feb 2008, 08:16
Sorry to repeat this if you already understand JP1 (but your response above wasn't completely clear on this point)

You should call Solent to transit the CTA (2000' - FL55) or Bournemouth to transit the CTR (Surface to 2000').

I say again, enjoy the flight :)

JP1
28th Feb 2008, 17:25
Hi Mariner,

Thanks and yes it's the CTA, hence Solent.