PDA

View Full Version : Who is flying?

ACARS
26th Feb 2008, 18:22
Who has managed to fly in the last month? I have had 4 lessons in the last month cancelled because of haze (2 times) and wind (2 times).

Time to think of a sunnier climate I think :cool:

L'aviateur
26th Feb 2008, 18:27
I've flown 7 hours since the start of the month, had a bit of hassle with haze also earlier in the month, solo landaway at Teeside was a bit of a guesswork as the vis was less then was on the METAR + TAF and the same coming back into Newcastle in the afternoon sun.

Mike Cross
26th Feb 2008, 21:24
Nice trip to Leicester from Popham a couple of weeks ago via Hungerford, then to Keyston and Pitsford before returning, let's see, that's 5 landings. A bit mucky but really no problem with the viz as you can see

http://mrc0001.users.btopenworld.com/webimages/keyston.jpg

http://mrc0001.users.btopenworld.com/webimages/Pitsford.jpg

DBo
26th Feb 2008, 21:39
I'm still training as well, but I managed a flight in my brother's autogyro, my QXC (Old Sarum - Dunkeswell - Bembridge - OS), a trip in in my mate Steve's PA-16 (Wadswick strip to Compton Abbas) and finally 2 sessions of general handling practice to prepare for my GFT last Sunday. As months go its not been too bad (although I did have to take the day off work when the weather looked good to do my QXC).

Dave

hobbit1983
27th Feb 2008, 07:37
Managed to do my CPL QXC last weekend, plus another nav oop north the weekend before that, and looks like I'm off to Doncaster today (£40 landing/handling fee though, and no AVGAS!)

Last month was rubbish though.

Redbird72
27th Feb 2008, 08:00
I must be fortunate to be in the South East then - haven't been grounded by weather since last year. Still, I've been mostly in the circuit, so weather minima a bit different from someone trying to get some XC done ...

ChampChump
27th Feb 2008, 08:13
No problems around here. I keep thinking it's a fluke, all this flying at this time of year, but comparison with other years doesn't show large differences in hours flown, it's just that we're not (yet?) battling waterlogged fields in this area of the sarf east.

What ACARS post has done is to remind me how good it is to have ones own aeroplane and not have to wait for weather, school aircraft & instructor to be available on the same day as ones own availability.

Not trying to be smug, just counting blessings.

And when you've jumped through the qualifying hoops you can get frustrated by weather all over again ....

It's a green and pleasant land. Sometimes.

Mariner9
27th Feb 2008, 08:59
I have had 4 lessons in the last month cancelled because of haze (2 times) and wind (2 times).

Time to think of a sunnier climate I think

Time to revise the Met studying if you think a sunnier climate will improve haze & wind := (I know what you mean really ;))

It can be frustrating when you're training, but you will find that you learn to live with it, and as CC says, if you get a share or own your own a/c you'll get much more flying in.

7 hours in January, 8 in February so far for me - all VFR (and VMC before anyone starts :ok:) Been from Upfield to Shobdon, Hawarden, Henstridge, Oxford, Sheffield, Gamston, Nottingham, Cranfield, and strips at Abergavenny & Billericay.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Feb 2008, 11:52
I've seen loads of fantastic flyable days this year so far.

It's just that they've always been when I'm stuck in meetings somewhere that I can't get out of. I've blocked out this Friday and Saturday for flying - but looking at the forecast, don't feel very hopeful!

Ah well, roll on summer! If nothing else, I have far less meetings!

G

Irish_Stu
27th Feb 2008, 13:49
Weather's been decent enough here in Belfast. I guess about half of my lessons have been cancelled due to weather. That was more bad luck than anything, last week for example it was lovely weather all week and turned crap on Friday, just in time for my lesson. Lesson on Monday there was cancelled due to crazy winds.
Gotta love it though, when you're on approach and the plane is jumping around like the wings are on pogo sticks, so much fun...

Mad Girl
27th Feb 2008, 15:22
Genghis the Engineer
I've seen loads of fantastic flyable days this year so far.

It's just that they've always been when I'm stuck in meetings somewhere that I can't get out of. I've blocked out this Friday and Saturday for flying - but looking at the forecast, don't feel very hopeful!

Sorry.... That'll be MY fault.. :(.

I've also been stuck in work and unable to fly other than at the weekend..... Skills test binned twice in Feb so far, and it's re-booked for THIS weekend.... :{

The wx fairies don't seem to like me....

VFR Transit
27th Feb 2008, 15:25
I have been able to complete 7 hours of training this month

VFR

vectis lady
27th Feb 2008, 15:31
3 hours this month,:ok: a local bimble in the PA-28 and a couple of hrs trying to get used to a twitchy microlight in the circuit

nowt last month thou cost of constant rubbish weather and the field being closed due to waterlogging

BackPacker
27th Feb 2008, 18:08
Well, I got an hour of aerobatics in today. It started today as cavok and we got a few TCUs between 2500 and FL55 later on. Plenty of space in between for some twisting and turning.

One thing that was really sad though. A guy from the club had tried to do his PPL skills test a week ago but got cancelled because of the weather. Today it got cancelled because he had a flat tire. At the hold. After successfully passing the oral portion of the skills test, taxiing out and everything.

wsmempson
27th Feb 2008, 18:25
Not too bad darn sarf in Feb.; 8hrs 35 mins this month, which breaks down as follows:

45 minutes solo (trying to remember how to land)
6hrs 50 minutes dual (for IMC)
1hr dual flying from the alti-port at Courchevel (curing holiday constipation).

All in all a darn sight better that December and January 4hrs in total.