PDA

View Full Version : Routing Coventry to Inverness in May

modelman
26th Feb 2008, 16:51
Looking for advice for a sensible routing for this with 1 refuelling stop on the way (C172).Will have to decide 'on the fly' to either go across the Grampians or around the east coast depending on the wx at the time.
I am a 100 hr PPL with no additional ratings/qualifications.

Quite happy to (attempt to) transit through Class D CTA's,MATZ's etc.

All advice welcome.

MM

Fuji Abound
26th Feb 2008, 19:55
Well as you suggest it will all be down to the weather at the time.

Another factor may be your willingness to cross inhospitable ground with few(er) FL sites in the unlikely event.

I have been up the east coast many times. So, one option is direct Humberside, direct Dundee and a fuel stop. That is around 200nm, 2 hours ish flying. Dundee is superb with wonderful approaches. The scenery up the east coast is always interesting, RIS avialable pretty much all the way, very little CAS and no high ground - particularly if you follow the coast. You also get to take in the scenery around St Andrews and the Old Course if golf is of interest to you.

Having reached Dundee the only high ground comes into play on the route direct to Inverness, but you are also well placed to follow the coast to Peterhead which avoids any problems.

That route is around 350nm compared with 320nm direct so it hardly makes any difference in time / distance saved.

There are plenty of other possibilites, but in the absence of any other replies this is one!

mad_jock
26th Feb 2008, 20:05
Or if you prefer the west.

Up through the low level corridor Follow the M6, M74 through Scottish TMA. Refuel in Perth. Then up the A9 to Inversneck. It's about your best bet for FL sites.

Or if the wx is particularly nice and you don't mind a bit of water crossing. Over to the IOM pick up fuel. Then up the west coast have a look at Oban and up the great Glen.

Maoraigh1
26th Feb 2008, 22:06
I flew Inverness direct over Cairngorms to Fife and then south to Bagley on February 8. It was calm, and no cloud problems. If cloud is on the tops, I usually go by Loch Loch (that is its name) north of Perth then through to Deeside, and GlenFeshie to Speyside. I've done the trip to/from Perth for maintanance the last few winters. I could always turn left on the Dee for Aberdeen, if weather turned nasty.
No A/H, no transponder. I carry a survival kit.