PDA

View Full Version : Route into Flight/Operations Controller Job?

DUXBY
26th Feb 2008, 14:07
Hi All,

Can anyone advise me as to how I can get into a role as Flight/Operations Controller.
It seems that there are no trainee posts and most assistant positions seem to demand a minimum of 1 year in the role. Also I have heard
City & Guilds 7280 mentioned as a suitable course, but does anyone know
where I can study for this and are there any other suitable courses. Does
anyone think that volunteering to do work experience for no pay as a start, or would safety issues preclude doing this?:confused:

Any advice would be appreciated.

DUXBY
27th Feb 2008, 08:09
Sorry Jeremy,

Forgot to say that I live in the UK, near Farnborough.

747-436
27th Feb 2008, 20:30
There are some roles where you would get in with little experience, such as Ops Assistants although as you say some of them want some Aviation experience. Certainly where I used to work there were a couple who started as assistants with no aviation experience at all.
A route in could be to start off in another role like customer service or on the ramp. There are plenty of those jobs going at various airports. Being in Farnborough you are also near to Heathrow, plenty of jobs going there.

DUXBY
28th Feb 2008, 11:12
Thanks 747-436.
Do you think it would help me get in by taking the City & Guilds 7280?

747-436
3rd Mar 2008, 20:32
Avtech 2000 do the City & Guilds course

http://avtech2000.co.uk/index.html

I would say that for starting out it isn't worth it at the moment as think it is upwards of £700 for a qualification and to be honest it probably isn't worth it for an Ops Assistant job. But it could be something you could take in conjunction with on the job training whilst in a job. Wouldn't do it before you even have a job. Others may disagree!

G-MILF
4th Mar 2008, 08:40
Info emailed as requested.