PDA

View Full Version : Freight Dog Food...

27driver
29th Jun 2001, 12:26
What's going on with Canada's cargo industry?ICC laying off a majority of their pilots. Air Canada purchasing a mojority share of Skyservice. C3 now has Royal under their wing. Winnport parking their sole 727. ACE picking up extra work from the underpowered Royal 37's. Morningstar threatening with a strike if they don't get their raise. All of these activities happening within the last 4 months. Canada would prosper with a national cargo carrier as do our Amercican friends. Is ACE on it's way on doing this? Rumours that AC is thinking about the cargo game again. Who has some fuel for this fire....?

m&v
3rd Jul 2001, 04:31
Several Co's have 'bid'on the Royal Cargo ops.It would be nice,in the opinion of their pilots,if AC converted their 'Combi'400's to pure freight!! Re' the ROyal case,general feeling that not'one'co wants the whole thing.Talk of people taking a slice of the ops,or partial financing under 'one'operator(west Coast).What's the scoop on the 'new'b727 freight ops ex YYC(aboriginal Financed)capitalizing on the 'new'pipeline installation?????

27driver
4th Jul 2001, 04:13
Many companies want the Royal contract, but only a select few are actually able to fly it. Westex apparently put in a bid, but I don't see any metal that they have that would be able to carry Royal's freight. It's also pretty hard to fly it when they don't have any 27's on their OC. Anyways, Royal wants toooo much $$ for what is for sale. Royal's contract is up in December with their freight forwarders, the work might just fall into the lap of a company who is already flying for Royal (ACE). This news of an Aboriginal 727 operator in YYC will not last long. They (Aboriginals) are terrible businessmen, and this company would go bust just as soon as Roots did! Their proven track record of failed and bankrupt airlines is quite evident. Canada needs a solid freight company that will lick their wounds when the going gets tough. The old Air Canada crybaby freight pilots would find any excuse to ground the machines and walk. No wonder their "Express" didn't prosper.

jeff748
11th Jul 2001, 07:03
Hey! 27 Driver!
What about the record of Aboriginal owned airlines? What about First Air and Air Inuit? They run 2 airlines that supply isolated communities all over northern Quebec and all over the NWT and Nunavut. They land fully loaded 748's on strips I think you'd have a hard time landing an ultralight on! Makkivik Corp may not be the best airline managers, but at least they have managed to literally feed a whole society for a generation in wx that you've never imagined. Do you have a Confederate flag?

Longtimer
11th Jul 2001, 08:43
Hey 27driver
I suggest you take a close look at Canadian North and then look at their parent company Norterra. Not a money loosing group and if you would check their performance over the past several(and more) years, I think you will be impressed with how this Northern Group runs their affairs.
I further suggest that before you take a broad brush swipe at the quote aboriginal unquote airlines, that you do some real research.

[ 11 July 2001: Message edited by: Longtimer ]