PDA

View Full Version : Flying jobs in Canada

Karel F Jankowitz
5th Oct 2001, 09:49
Hi

I am a professional bush pilot based in Africa and have almost 2000 hrs, mostly in singles.

I am very intersed in flying in Canada, preferably charter flights with small aircaft to remote places, and/or float/amphibian aircraft.

Is jobs availble, is the flying difficult(Wx) and is it possible to get work permit etc?

rbaron
6th Oct 2001, 06:45
Capt 210, the market in Canada is very tough right now - and not just because of the events of Sept. 11th. Flying is different in every province (the middle ones are mostly flat - until you fly in bad weather when you discover hills and valleys). Coastal flying is very tough, and tough to break into without prior coastal experience.
Early spring is best to look for work and 2000 hours, especially PIC is good. What is your citizenship? I am not sure about immigration requirements, you might have to find a company to sponsor you.
Now my questions, can you share a little about flying in Africa? In which region do you mostly fly and what are the conditions like? What types of companies are around and types of a/c? Any DC-3 or round engine equipment? Any countries to stay away from and why?

flyguy93
6th Oct 2001, 09:18
rbaron what type of question is taht lad???,,
any countries to stay away from and y??? for some people they just want to fly, the love of flying is further deep than explanabe and for u an aviator to ask such a question u must have some comittments that u have to tend to. u for one do not to be asking such. people like us make sacrifices to make our carreer's work, if u've got urs going please don't discriminate and discourage the remaining few. Witnin all safe boundaries do we make our decisions.don't be ignorant

Karel F Jankowitz
8th Oct 2001, 07:17
To RBaron

I suppose you can say flying in Africa is also quite tough, few jobs, low pay, difficult charter companies, you know, fly or else.

I am based in Windhoek, Namibia, on the South West coast of Africa between South Africa and Angola. We mostly fly within Namibia but also fly to Angola(Very difficult,Wx, Nav, Language), Botswana, South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Most popular aircaft in Namibia is still the single engined C210 but the Caravan is becoming more and more of a viable oftion.
The C206 is very popular in Bots and anything that can cruise at 150Kts and takeoff in less than 1000m, with 6 seats or more and which is not to expensive to operate can be used in the Southern Africa area. Comparitively pilots are very poorly paid but the Wx and trafic is most of the time very easy. Thus low time pilots and fresh coms find this a suitable training and preperation phase.