PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Been To Gibraltar?

the bald eagle
25th Feb 2008, 01:13
Looking to take a PA28 to LXGB VFR around August time, has anyone had the experience of doing so??
Thanks
TBE

S-Works
25th Feb 2008, 10:04
I suggest you give them a call. As I understand it they no longer accept GA flights.

LH2
26th Feb 2008, 12:44
As I understand it they no longer accept GA flights.

That is my understanding as well. It used to be that you were not allowed to fly from Spain to Gib or vice versa, so the number of GA traffics going there was limited (if you were very determined, you could go via Tanger). I guess they figured out that since that changed, every PPL in Southern Spain would go there for a jolly, shutting down Gibraltar's main road in the process :cool:

Not that I ever tried :E

BristolScout
4th Mar 2008, 09:39
I've been there in the heavy metal but never a light aircraft. The winds around the Rock can be very unpredictable so maximum caution and a frank appreciation of your personal limitations as a pilot are needed.

EC-
7th Mar 2008, 09:42
I friend of mine went there VFR only two months ago with an Archer, departing from Cordoba. No problems. Only requirement is a 24h PPR, if I remember well.

chevvron
7th Mar 2008, 10:41
AERAD publish a plate giviing the aforementioned wind problems. I believe that light aircraft generally land downwind to minimise the effects.

GK430
7th Mar 2008, 13:26
bald eagle, PM Vanhigher who has been.

JW411
7th Mar 2008, 18:03
Before you even try it, make sure the wind direction is favourable otherwise you could find yourself in deep s*it (or water).

I can remember doing one approach (landing east) where I went from full power to flight idle four times on finals. A beer in the mess at North Front never tasted better!

the bald eagle
16th Mar 2008, 13:24
Thanks for all the info guys....Might try Tripoli instead!
TBE

172driver
16th Mar 2008, 13:44
If you do decide to go, you can download the charts/plates giving all the wind info from the Spanish AIP here (http://www.aena.es). Free registration is required, but they have all the Spanish airfields on there (and, like it or not, for this purpose, Gib/LXGB is considered Spanish).

LH2
20th Mar 2008, 18:52
and, like it or not, for this purpose, Gib/LXGB is considered Spanish

By the Spaniards, yes :E

They must have updated their AIP. Last time I checked, they had a chart for LXGB in the AD section, but apart from the airport's name it was blank.