PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate flying experience

drambuster
23rd Feb 2008, 13:09
I've found the answer to the ever increasing cost of Avgas !

Great video :ok: :

http://bobandsylvia.com/WINGSUIT.htm

jxc
23rd Feb 2008, 13:34
cool

want one not many mountains in Suffolk though :{

ronnie3585
23rd Feb 2008, 19:45
"I am so far from my car"

davidatter708
23rd Feb 2008, 22:30
Only trouble is I doubt many gliding clubs would let you use the winch or the aerotow
David
:}

SNS3Guppy
23rd Feb 2008, 23:13
Wingsuits have been popular for a while now. Several years ago during a skydive I was on from 18,000', someone in a wingsuit, who got out after I did, got "big" just as he left the door. Instead of falling, he went up and back and hit the horizontal stabilizer on the Cessna Caravan. He crushed it, and hurt his leg. He didn't break any bones, but the airplane was out of commission, and he was on crutches for a time.

That's usually not an issue when making a skydive.

Blues&twos
24th Feb 2008, 20:21
So how do you practice wing-suiting?:confused:

Most things you can sort of "build-up" to it slowly. Looks like you're either very good at this immediately or you're a small squishy crater somewhere.....

gpn01
24th Feb 2008, 20:38
Think it uses an approach called Darwinism.

LH2
24th Feb 2008, 21:08
So how do you practice wing-suiting

You need to be an experienced skydiver before any responsible DZ will let you jump from their planes with a wingsuit on. You will also have had the necessary coaching from a qualified instructor.

Of course that doesn't stop someone from going hop! from the top of a cliff on their homemade suit--I guess that's were Darwinism kicks in.

Edit to say the previous paragraph is in no way directed to those who appear on the video in question, as it happens I've met those guys and they are world class (they actually make a living out of that). Should have watched the vid before I opened my mouth :hmm:

Perhaps more relevant to this forum though, this other video (http://bobandsylvia.com/FIGHTER.htm) from the same site (but ignore the comments on the page)

DBChopper
24th Feb 2008, 21:48
That's it. I am finally turning into my Mum. My thoughts were firstly:

"They are just showing off." :eek:

and secondly:

"It'll end in tears." :=

Mind you - looks like absolutely mad fun, doesn't it? :D

the bald eagle
25th Feb 2008, 00:45
I think i'l just stay at the bar with me pint:)

Miraz
25th Feb 2008, 04:38
And if you don't fancy flying, you can always play it safe on the ground - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWLbu1wIIEo

squidie
25th Feb 2008, 14:05
I wonder how those things act during windshear…

TheGorrilla
25th Feb 2008, 18:45
Roight!! I just need the duvet from the spare room, a sewing kit and... A mountain.

Noah Zark.
25th Feb 2008, 22:40
And if you don't fancy flying, you can always play it safe on the ground -

That's a definite no-brainer. Especially if you hit one of those crash barrier stanchions!

Blues&twos
28th Feb 2008, 22:17
Miraz, you want to see how long it takes him to get back up the hill.

gpn01
28th Feb 2008, 22:55
"those guys are gonna get caught out one day!!"

....Yeah, when the CAA mandates that they need to install Mode-S and EASA insists that their suit has a fireproof identity tag fitted.

TheGorrilla
29th Feb 2008, 00:31
Nothing I can't achieve on a lamb passanda. Let alone a vindaloo!!!