PDA

View Full Version : Tech log / Journey Log

fred737
23rd Feb 2008, 08:42
Does anybody use a Tech Log / Journey Log for day to day flying. I use a scrap of paper, then transfer times to Personal Log Book and Aircraft Log Books (Airframe/prop/engine)

If so what Tech Log / Journey Log?

robin
23rd Feb 2008, 09:21
Well - it depends how you operate.

In our group I keep a log sheet in the aircraft folder on which we record the flight details and defects. Once a week I go and collect the details for transfer to the logbooks and to the billing system.

If you are a sole owner/operator, the back of a fag packet is fine

ericferret
23rd Feb 2008, 09:46
This has to be an EASA approved fag packet.!!!!!!!!!!

mad_jock
23rd Feb 2008, 09:50
transair do a little red personal day logbook. Which is more geared towards commercial flying.

Its not a good idea if not illegal to carry the aircraft logbooks on the aircraft.

It was always a strange point, the tech log thing away from base. Do you fill it in and leave it, take it with you, fill it in when you get back?

Personally I just used to take the one days sheet and photocopy it and leave it at the landing payment point. And if away for a couple of days fax the sheet at the end of the day.

I suspect though that most don't bother.

DFC
23rd Feb 2008, 19:59
Don't have the exact reference to hand but if you are carrying the aircraft logbooks in the aircraft they have to be in a fireproof container.

The journey / tech log being carried on the aircraft is no problem. It is best to have a method of ensuring that the most up-to date info from that tech log is left with a responsible person.

For commercial operators, this done by having self copying removeable pages or pieces of a page that can be removed.

For the small operator - simply use a serialed A4 sheet and copy it before departure. Leave the copy with the handling agent. Never carry old sheets - keep them at base.

If the aircraft is on a PT C of A then the tech log is a requirement. Is the CAA ever going to see that PPL club/group flying is not public transport?

Regards,

DFC

robin
23rd Feb 2008, 23:06
I'm confused

The Tech log is a different animal from the aircraft and engine logbooks. I would never contemplate having the logbooks in the aircraft, but am OK with keeping the tech log there.

A fireproof safe in my little toy? No - I haven't got the disposable load, and it is daft to even try.

tangovictor
23rd Feb 2008, 23:11
if you have a garmin 296 / 496 download flightbook for free from garmins site, really easy to use

IO540
24th Feb 2008, 06:35
AFAIK:

Under G-reg, if on a Transport CofA, you need to run a journey log. This is addition to any personal logbooks.

The maintenance requirements are separate: a logbook for airframe, engine, VP prop (3 logbooks).

A "tech log" is a thing run by flying schools, and AFAIK is not a legal requirement, but they use it to get an instant picture of what is going on across the fleet. It is also used to record fuel status and has been implicated in the worst fuel management practices on the PPL training scene, with the most spectacular recent fuel exhaustion accident on a plane owned by an AOC holder :)

bookworm
24th Feb 2008, 08:28
Tech logs are required (Art 15) for public transport aircraft (including those that are in that category only because they are hired out) and aerial work aircraft.

It must record:

(a) the times when the aircraft took off and landed;
(b) particulars of any defect which is known to [the commander] and which affects the airworthiness or safe operation of the aircraft, or if no such defect is known to him, an entry to that effect

Either a copy of the entries must be kept on the ground, or the tech log must be kept in a fireproof container.

There is no clear definition of a journey log (which is an ICAO concept). Common sense suggests that it records the places and times of arrival and departure, hence a tech log with places of arrival and departure included would suffice.