PDA

View Full Version : job info!

himalaya
4th Jun 2001, 06:09
Just wondering.....
How is the job market for a guy with ( No canadian flying experience, will convert ICAO ATPL TO Canadian ATPL ) 3000 hours fixed wing, 2500+ Multi Turbo Prop, a few hundred multi Turbo Prop PIC experience, lots of Bush Experience, Extensive experience as Ground Instructor, a few hundred IFR, Current PPC, IFR, 1st Class Medical.

1. How is the Job market for such experience in canada ( specially around toronto)?

2. Any chance of getting to Jets ( RHS ofcourse) ?

3. How much would be the average monthly pay for guy with similar experience ( just an approximate figure ).

4. Around how much time would it take ( after getting canadian ATPL ) to find a descend job ?

Thanks in advance for your info.!!

Happy landings.....!

himalaya

T.Baylx
5th Jun 2001, 00:19
With that kind of time you're looking at an F/O position on a Dash 8 or 1900 out of Toronto. It would have to be at either Air Canada Regional, or Air Georgian. Upgrade to Captain is about 1 year at Georgian, and probably at least 3 at ACR. Not much chance of landing a job on a jet with the majors with only 3k hours, unless you're well connected. Rumour has it that ACR will be hiring on and off, though they are going through contract negotiations now, which kind of has things on hold. Georgian should be hiring again by fall. Hope this helps a bit.

himalaya
6th Jun 2001, 05:42
Thankx T.Blx,

Any other place in Canada with better offer for such experience ?

Himalaya

penguin
8th Jun 2001, 00:34
Georgian and CMA are both appropriate with your experience. You will need some Canadian experience in order to get into AC regional. The latest issue of Wings magazine has a directory of all the charter operators. Be prepared to start at the bottom, i.e. flight instructing.

http://www.wingsmagazine.com/

http://www.syz.com/avcanada/viewjobs.html

http://www.aviationcanada.ca/forum/

http://www.aviatorselect.com/

[This message has been edited by penguin (edited 07 June 2001).]

flyboy_33
12th Jun 2001, 15:14
what jobs are going for young aviators just wanting charter or non passenger airwork ie not rpt stuff???
I am looking for work possibly at the end of this year. I will have minimal australian hours. I am currently doing my commercial and instrument theory and prac. Ne help for looking for work ne where in either Canada or Australia would be of help
Thanx
Flyboy

Grizzly Bare
16th Jun 2001, 20:24
How keen are companies to sponsor foreign guys through Immigration Canada?

Dockjock
16th Jun 2001, 23:20
Unfortunately for low-time foreign (and Canadian for that matter) pilots, there is an ABSOLUTELY HUGE SURPLUS of low to medium level experience pilots in Canada. You are in very, very common company anywhere below the 2500 hr. level, even with some multi turbine PIC.

Alot of operators' window of expectation/experience is very specific ie. even if there is an operator looking for a BE20 captain and you have related twin turboprop experience, if you don't have gravel/northern/regional-specific experience, you STILL may find it hard.

The job market in Canada is painful, the salaries are low (ie. F/O B1900D with above-mentioned Air Georgian is in the $25K CDN range), and movement is slow right now. Not a great place to be, especially as a "fish out of water".

To describe the industry here as incestuous would be an understatement. Foreigners WILL have a tough time breaking in. Great country, CRAZY aviation scene. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

cruzin110
19th Jun 2001, 04:37
Can someone tell me what I am missing here???

I am a New Zealander looking on with interest. All the talk of the U.S.A is that they can't get there hands on enough pilots. Companies are employing perminently, it seems if you have 500hrs plus with 100 multi you are in a job.
So please tell me if there is an excess of low to mid hour pilots in Canada surely they would hop over the border to the U.S

It doesn't add up, What am I missing???

lowflier
19th Jun 2001, 05:11
It's not what you're missing - it's more what we are missing. Green Cards! Pilots do not have 'professional' status in the USA therefore getting employment without a green card is next to impossible.

JoeCo
19th Jun 2001, 07:32
Most of the job postings that I see state that you must have the "Legal right to work n the USA" and if you don't have a Green Card, or visa, you don't have the legal right... What to do, sometimes I think it would be easier to get on an innertube with my flight bag and float into the states from Cuba, seems easier than getting a Green Card!!!!

flyboy_33
20th Jun 2001, 08:36
thanks for that Dockjock, I will just have to stay in Australia and continue to finish my training (woulda helped anyway). Hope all those low to mid's can start finding jobs easier. Maybe the States will start to release some Green Cards for you lads to get the work. Cheerio all

Flyboy_33

------------------
Diversions? what the hell are they!!

Oh you mean this extra track written on the back

hot chocolate
21st Jun 2001, 21:51
always been keen to come to Canada. I work for a charter airline in the UK flying a widebody. About 4000hrs total with 2000 on jet.Could I get a fairly decent job out there and what would be the pay? Are Air Canada and Canada 3000 hiring?

xdc9er
26th Jun 2001, 16:37
How are the chances for en ex MD -90 F/O with
3500+ hrs with maybe Air Canada, (FAA CPl, Foriegn ATPL)about 800 jet!

Willy Nilly
27th Jun 2001, 21:27
Same as anybody else!
You meet the minimum requirements as do 1000 other Canadian pilots with ATPL's.

Foriegn licences don't mean anything get a Canadian one and get in the queue....

vorstar
27th Jul 2001, 05:51
Got my license from MFC NB then came back to Nepal in 98 and started flying Cessna Caravan
HS748 and then ATR42.I was wondering,if it is possible to get my Canadian license valid and get these ratings endorsed?
Thanx...

Longtimer
28th Jul 2001, 01:54
Here is the goto for Transport Canada and the section dealing with Foreign Licences. I hope it helps.Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/web/policies/general/personnel%20licensing/fore.htm)

BorneoPilot
28th Jul 2001, 23:18
to Vorstar:

How did you get a flying job in Nepal?
Any opportunities for foreign(non Nepal) pilots?
sounds like fun! :p

Barrelroll
29th Jul 2001, 14:45
I am in the process of acquiring the expensive paperwork to live in Canada, once I have it I will do the Canadian ATPL. Am I wasting my time and money? I am willing to start from scratch i.e. instruction. Will I get a position at a descent flight school (TT:6300, ME TP: 2300, TP PIC: 1100)? What are instructors being paid?

Thanx and regards

BR

a319320
30th Jul 2001, 03:29
can anyone give me an idea of what C3ooo pay?
just an approximate figure..
Thanks

429 CJ
30th Jul 2001, 11:22
G'day all. This is only a request for info, it doesn't imply that I am coming over to take your work, I'm just "sounding-out" the territory. Does anyone know where I might find the info (on the web) about what the Canadian authorities (read immigration) have to say about their requirements for persons to immigrate (or perhaps working holiday - if such thing is permissable in this day and age)? Was thinking ski season or even some float/ski work later when over there. Have some rellies in B.C. and was perhaps going to base there to start with.

Thank you in advance.

Slapshot
31st Jul 2001, 00:11
Hi, here's a website that should introduce you to the wonderful world of the Canadian Government. The Puzzle Palace at your fingertips...
http://206.191.55.8/frameEn.asp?intPageId=1

TTYL :confused:

429 CJ
31st Jul 2001, 15:53
Thanks Slapshot! Geez, you're not wrong about that! I think this might take some time to sus out properly! :eek:

fullforward
1st Aug 2001, 08:42
Hi, folks!

Do you have any info about job opportunities for highly experienced wide body captains whithin the big canadian carriers?

Willy Nilly
1st Aug 2001, 15:30
fullforward, welcome to canada were Mapleflot is the ONLY big carrier and they would love to have an experienced wide body guy like you. Can you fly from the right seat of a CRJ or stay awake as the cruise guy on the 340? Get to the back of the line like the rest of em.....

alapt
2nd Aug 2001, 22:47
If you did an approved course that is recognized by DOT, they will do it! I got two ratings on the license with course certificates. Mind you this was YUL office. Seems like every DOT office makes their own rules. Good Luck

ionov
4th Aug 2001, 13:33
Fullforward.
If you have suitable type raiting,Canadian
ATPL and landing immigrant status you'll
high chance to get job in major Canadian
carriers.
Good luck!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: