PDA

View Full Version : Sprout Lake closes Tanker Base

boeingbuff
9th Feb 2001, 08:11
For anyone who follows the Martin Mars flying tankers at Sprout lake British Columbia Canada. Pink slips were handed out at the end of Jan. The planes are out of the water and the future is ? There is a group trying to reorganize and get flying them again, other wise the two remaining Martin Mars will go on the auction block. A sad day in BC Aviation.

javelin
9th Feb 2001, 14:37
A sad day if it turns out that the Mars are to be sold. A friend on Vancouver Island is finding out some info - he lives near Port Alberni where they are based. I visited them last summer, they really are magnificent. Check them out at www.martinmars.com (http://www.martinmars.com)

pigboat
12th Feb 2001, 05:45
There was an article in Air Classics a few months ago on the Mars. I recall that the forestry companies thought their operation was becoming too expensive to justify. What they don't seem to realize is that one Mars can probably save a million dollars worth of timber in one sweaty afternoon when things start to go up in smoke. Then when they're sold over the border the entire Canadian community will wail, gnash their teeth, beat their collective breasts and call for federal money to keep them in this country.

A**hole beancounters!

Azure
12th Feb 2001, 08:05
Poor BC, maybe we should lend them Ralph for a few years? Nah, can't afford to lose him and our rebate checks!

A Proud, and Cheap Albertan!

Tan
14th Feb 2001, 17:47
This article appeared on another site for your information...

MARS WATER BOMBERS MAY DRY UP: For more than 40 years, the Martin Mars
water bomber was a familiar and welcome sight over the skies of the
Canadian Pacific Northwest. But, due to budget shortfalls by its
operator Weyerhaeuser, the firefighting workhorse may fly no more. Its
$1.2 million yearly upkeep is now dependent on sources outside the
company. The aircraft has been credited for playing a major role in the
battle against some notorious fires in the Alberni Valley area in
British Columbia since the program's inception in 1960.

multi405
16th Feb 2001, 09:57
As a Bomber pilot in Australia my condolences to everyone effected.We have extremes of climate in Aus and the government have a legal obligation to ensure peoples safety.
I hope no lives are lost in the thaw out.!!
Aus at the moment is boiling in 40+ heat and to even contimplate losing a valuable fire protection assett is unthinkable.