PDA

View Full Version : Career Paths in Canada!

The African Dude
9th Feb 2001, 16:05
Hi folks -

I would be grateful if anyone out there could pass on any info they have regarding careers as a commercial pilot in Canada (eg. how the industry is doing etc. and who is looking for pilots, common salary example maybe? ..or anything special I need to bear in mind.)... prob. Toronto region - I'm interested in emmigrating there in the next few years.

I'll be completing my A-Levels this summer, and following which I'll apply to BA while starting my Uni course in Aero Eng. I would really like to end up flying in Canada and any info that springs to mind would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks for your time :)

Andy.
Devon, UK.

Gnote
9th Feb 2001, 19:43
If you apply and get the position in BA, don't leave... you won't get a job like that here that fast. Everyone here has to pay their dues to get in line for the airlines.

Good Luck

skidcanuck
10th Feb 2001, 04:29
Check out "Canada increasing immigration numbers" Forum in the Canada section - some accurate stuff re Toronto. Weird pilot market here, my friend.

The African Dude
13th Feb 2001, 13:52
Thanks guys.

Another thing - what's your typical salary over there? Differ alot from the UK?

CanadianBushPile_it
13th Feb 2001, 20:38
I think you would be better off to stay in the UK... The pilot market is highly saturated over here. It takes longer - than say, the States to reach the Majors. For example, I fly for a Tier III Connector (Beech 1900D Capt.) - they won't look at you for the right seat unless you have 2,000 hours total... Many of the Captains have 4,000 hours total! I flew in the "bush" (floats, skiis and gravel strips) for 5 years until I could get the right seat on a Beech 1900... I have no complaints - enjoyed every minute of the "climb" - however, it was difficult at times (i.e. lack of $). Current salary for right seat on a Beech 1900 is 25,000$ CAD (not enough to survive in Toronto - just barely enough to rent a room and eat Kraft Dinner for every meal) ... 43,000$ CAD for a Beech Capt. - enough to rent an apartment - impossible to buy a house in YYZ... Now - at 4,000 hours - just about to get a shot at something "big". Also: Air Canada hiring is slowing down - they're planning 0% growth this year, cutting routes and parking a few airplanes... This greatly affects the entire industry in Canada.