PDA

View Full Version : missing light a/c

scr1
21st Feb 2008, 15:48
Search for crashed aircraft pilot

A light aircraft flying from Reykjavik in Iceland to Wick in the north of Scotland has crashed into the sea.
The Royal Air Force said the Piper Cherokee came down in a storm 100 miles south of Iceland. A Nimrod search and rescue aircraft from RAF Kinloss in Moray and Icelandic rescue services are looking for the pilot. The RAF said weather conditions were severe with heavy thunderstorms and a 20ft swell.

Phill
21st Feb 2008, 15:54
New aircraft on ferry flight suffered severe icing conditions at fl110 and went down.

The aircraft was tanked so if he's lucky enough to make a decent ditching the poor guy may well get crushed by the tank.

I do hope the outcome is better than the 310 last week though, here's hoping.
Poor bugger.

airfoilmod
21st Feb 2008, 15:58
scr1, you're having us on. right?

PPRuNe Radar
21st Feb 2008, 17:02
Why would he be ? :confused:

Happens a couple of times a year usually.

BBC News Report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7257334.stm)

Phill
21st Feb 2008, 17:42
3rd one in the last 12 months or so on the trans atlantic route.

Shame really, this guy had been holding back due to weather and still got caught out.

Sad!

IO540
21st Feb 2008, 18:44
Looking at the 1200 MSLP chart, it would take a very brave man to want to fly a PA28 in that muck.

Red Top Comanche
21st Feb 2008, 20:32
Been iced in a pa28, its not funny. 2 minutes in cloud and I had nearly a quarter inch of ice on the wings, and some on the prop too, heavy and hard to fly.

Hope he is OK

Daysleeper
21st Feb 2008, 20:47
Shame really, this guy had been holding back due to weather and still got caught out.

If he's been holding back due weather then why go on one like today,

0C isotherm as low as 1000'
OVC CU SC and Mod ice starting as low as 2000'
Flying towards the back end of a front with CB and +TSRAGS
:ugh:

I hope he's OK, though its pretty darn unlikely. I feel sorry for the poor SAR sods out in a Puma and the fixed wings looking for him.