PDA

View Full Version : Netherthorpe - Northern or Southern Chart?

G-BHEN
21st Feb 2008, 11:22
Hi all

I am shortly to start flying again after a four year absence, and as such one of the things to do will obviously be to buy new charts.

I will be flying from Netherthorpe after previously being at Leicester & East Mids and having never flown quite that far north cannot remember whether Netherthorpe was right on the northern edge of the chart!

Could any kind soul with a half mil chart please advise how far north the southern chart goes and how far south the northern chart goes please, so I know which should be the first one to buy! Searched high and low on t'internet and haven't been able to find anything, so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Noel

Rod1
21st Feb 2008, 12:28
You are defiantly on the southern chart, you may be on the north as well (I have no chart to hand)

Rod1

Mariner9
21st Feb 2008, 12:33
Its on both north and south CAA charts. Both due for a new issue shortly (10th April for the sarf, 8th May for the norf)

You could always get the Jep UK VFR chart No 3 - covers roughly London to Newcastle with Netherthorpe just about at the centre....

nadders
21st Feb 2008, 14:18
I'm currently a student at Netherthorpe. Have my southern chart on my knee, which extends just north of Sheffield with Doncaster and its instrument approach being shown in the top margin.

Its done me fine so far cos the training area is generally to the south west of the airfield.

Hope that helps.

Nads

DubTrub
21st Feb 2008, 14:33
I am shortly to start flying again after a four year absence

Actually it's only just over 3 years since G-BHEN flew following its attempt to win the LAC Ploughing Contest (http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/april_2005/reims_cessna_fa152__g_bhen.cfm)
:uhoh:

G-BHEN
21st Feb 2008, 18:26
Thanks for all the input guys. I like the sound of the Jep VFR chart, haven't seen one though, might have to take a look.

Southern sounds like the best CAA one at least to start with, while retraining anyhow.

Actually it's only just over 3 years since G-BHEN flew following its attempt to win the LAC Ploughing Contest (http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/april_2005/reims_cessna_fa152__g_bhen.cfm)
:uhoh:

Lol yes it was a little unfortunate - 'ol Henny brings back some good memories, i.e. first trial lesson, first solo, QXC and skills test all took place in that little beauty, and still remains to date one of the nicest feeling aircraft I've flown. Crazy? Maybe! :-) I believe she's flying again now though. Still registered at least.

eltonioni
21st Feb 2008, 19:50
You'll need both, but if cash is tight get the South chart first as your early XC's will probably be to places like Gainsborough, Retford, Newark, Chesterfield. You'll soon be at other places like Humberside, Sherburn, Beverley, so you'll need North too.

To make it easier you can buy them at the club when you need them after a convo' with your instructor.

vetflyer
21st Feb 2008, 21:01
OR

use the 1/4 mil one !

Jinkster
21st Feb 2008, 23:52
Dont forget when flying into Netherthorpe - fairly short runways, grass so strict PPR.

Use full length for takeoff - rolling start, dont go overweight etc etc.

Enjoy.

01909 475 233

Jinkster - Part Time FI at Netherthorpe

Mariner9
22nd Feb 2008, 08:26
You'll need both, but if cash is tight get the South chart first

...and then buy a new Southern Chart in about 3 weeks time coz the one you just bought is out of date :rolleyes: