PDA

View Full Version : I'm really a big wannabe...

AffableGuy
3rd Sep 2001, 11:16
I don't know whether or not to post this in the wannabe forum or not. But since it has more relevance to the Canadian environment, I'll try in here first.

Anyway, I'm in the ad industry, and I'm bored of it. 26, and looking for my first career change. I'm looking at a commerical PPL course at Toronto Island soon. I just have a couple of questions:

How's the job market in Canada for low hour pilots, like myself, if I do graduate from this program. And what kind of work should I be expecting if I do make it through the program?

I'll start with that. If anyone has any sort of comments, including the "don't do it" kinds, do post it. It's a big financial undertaking, and I want to make sure that it's a future I want to be involved in.

Thanks! :)

Tan
4th Sep 2001, 00:10
Cashing In On The Pilot Shortage: Is Now The Time?
Who wouldn't want to make $160,000 a year flying a well-equipped aircraft just 15 days a month? Now is your chance! Airlines are scrambling to put warm bodies in cockpits. There's a pilot shortage in the United States ... even none other than the well-respected Wall Street Journal recently said so. Well, maybe. As AVweb's Liz Swaine discovered, just because airlines need pilots, it doesn't necessarily mean they want you.
Read More....... http://www.avweb.com/articles/cashingin/

:)

Squawk 8888
4th Sep 2001, 02:04
AG, you can look forward to spending a lot of time flying for minimum wage while spending buckets of cash on further training. Don't expect anything resembling a living wage until you get your instructor rating, even then you'd probably have to work outside the city in order to afford a place to live. More power to you if you can do it, but bear in mind that you'll be well into your late 30s before making any real money. Don't mean to sound discouraging, but at your age maybe a PPL and a retirement plan that includes part-time instructing might be a better way to go.

BTW which school are you looking at? I'm a regular renter at Island Air, know most of the instructors well.

AIRLIFT
4th Sep 2001, 03:32
Unfortunatly Squawk is right the first job you'll get won't be the one Tan promises you. The pilot shortage that you might hear about is for peapole with experience (4000 hrs+). And be prepared to be based in the nothern part of the contry if you don't want to do instruction. But hey if it's your life long dream go for it!!!! It's a great job.

P.S. Air Canada is the only one that gives 160k$ or more this side of the border and that's after 10 years or more of loyal service :eek: good luck!!!!!!!!!

AffableGuy
4th Sep 2001, 04:15
Thanks for the responses guys, you've all been very insightful.

Squawk, I'm interested in looking at Airline Training International, and also at Toronto Airways up at Buttonville. If you have any comments about either, wouldn't mind hearing it at all. If it can get me a job in a seat, that would be better than nothing.

And I guess the wage factor is going to be disparaging, sure. But at the same time, I know for sure I don't want to be doing what I'm doing right now. And any career switch is going to have pitfalls for myself, starting from scratch again. All I want, though, is the chance to move up, eventually, just like everyone else. If I can get a somewhat okay lifestyle by the time I'm in my mid to late 30's, doing something I want for a change, that would be enough for me. Something to look forward to, perhaps. Though that's a big if. Can't live on a negative salary for the rest of my life, that's for sure...

Strong Winds
4th Sep 2001, 08:33
Normally once youīre graduated what you do is you start instructing in the school you flew at, provided the chief pilot decides the 8 month interview you had with him was satisfactory.
Thatīs a one thing youīre sometimes able to negotiate.
I donīt mean you trade money for a job promise. Anybody that promises a job before knowing how you fly is fooling you. All I am saying is that you can go to a school and ask what your possibilities of flying for them are, once you have the ratings. They should be able to give you an honest answer.

In my case, I flew in the States and I got a work visa just in case they liked me good enough and they decided to hire me. They did.

You can work as an instructor until you have 1500 hours and are able to get your ATP.
Keep in mind that instructing involves a lot of responsibility and you should be the first one to prioritize safety and quality of training and not time building.

Once you have 1200 hs and some 200-300 in multi engine a/c itīs easy to get a job flying cargo, taxi, etc... Chances are youīll start flying a light twin, then move into turboprops and then into jets.

I canīt talk about the canadian market, but I am told itīs hard for low timers, and not so hard for experienced pilots.

Good luck and be safe !!

Squawk 8888
4th Sep 2001, 20:51
AG, I haven't flown with ATI but their fleet is rather small. Island Air has 6x C172 (3 new) and 6x 150/152 so availability of aircraft is rarely a problem. I'd suggest taking an intro flight & tour with each school before deciding. No real advantage going with Toronto Airways unless Buttonville is closer for you- they charge the same as the schools on the Island.

You should also look into the community college programmes if you haven't already- GBC and Seneca both operate them (GBC uses the island, Seneca uses Buttonville), I think Humber has one as well.