PDA

View Full Version : PPLs etc

better livin
27th Aug 2001, 21:01
Does anybody know if a PPL gained in Canada is directly transferable back to the UK - or will exams/flight tests have to be carried out on return?
Does the same apply to twin ratings etc?
Any info greatly appreciated!

Golden Monkey
28th Aug 2001, 14:23
I gained a Canadian PPL and had no problems using it in the UK on my return (apart from the fact it's difficult to get your head round the enormous cost differential!).

You don't HAVE to convert to a UK license to fly here. This would involve sitting all the written papers again - not sure about a flight test as a Canadian PPL is ICAO standard and you might be Ok.

I was able to fly with my local flight school after sitting a UK air law exam and one of the flight school's own papers. I was current on type but found I needed several hours of conversion just to get the hang of the hugely different R/T (buying a scanner may help!), and the differences in proceedure.

Hope that's of some use, sorry I have no information on how different ratings (multi, etc.) fare in a transatlantic conversion, although I don't forsee any issues other than currency with the night rating I hold.

pilotbear
31st Aug 2001, 06:58
As far as I am aware you can use a Canadian PPL to fly in the UK Day VFR only.

I am a UK citizen but I work in Canada on a Canadian CPL/ME/IR land and sea.

I have written my CAA ATPL exams but I still have to do a flight test for conversion.

Contact Nic Denson at Leeds flying School,UK. He is pretty clued up on this stuff, that is where I am going when I get home. :D

better livin
31st Aug 2001, 21:00
Many thanks for the replies. I am a mil pilot working over here, and am just interested in the PPL flying for something to do at weekends other than happy hour!