PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle EGNT flying newbie question

britannia301b
20th Feb 2008, 16:56
Hiya everyone, i've been to Newcastle and completed two flying lessons, however I always feel awkward in the waiting area, because everyone has done so many hours and i'm scared to approach them incase they talk all technical and I go red and not know what they are saying. Does anyone on here go to Northumbria Flying School that wants to chat about it? i've seen people up there around my age 23 and wondered if any of them are on here? thanks people.

airborne_artist
20th Feb 2008, 17:32
Just remember that there was a time when all those super-experienced (probably 60 hours TT) pilots had less than two hours, just like you.

That could have been less than a year ago. Suddenly in the last twelve months they became sky-gods? Treat then as normal human beings, and if they think that having 58 hours more than you makes them a better person, then forget them.

Duchess_Driver
20th Feb 2008, 21:21
Remember feeling exactly the same at the school I went to. Think everyone does!

It will get better, and this may drag a few 'fellow fliers' out of the woodwork.

StudentNE
21st Feb 2008, 12:32
Hi there,

yes, I'm studying there at the moment, about 10-15 hours in so far. Yep, it does feel a bit like that, more of a waiting room than a social area, but I think that's what it is really. Dont know how much of a social scene there is for the newer members of the club, may well be one I dont know about yet. Perhaps we should just organise one in the bar. All the people I've actually spoken to at the club so far have been really friendly and helpful. Msg me for more info.

wobble2plank
21st Feb 2008, 12:38
I've been flying for over 20 years now and have one or two hours more than 60 :} However, I also get technical stuff wrong and constantly need to get my head in the books to keep my knowledge up.

There is no such thing as a 'stupid' question, only stupid answers. It is also far better to ask those questions on the ground than in the air when you might need the answer quickly and correctly.

If the person you speak to doesn't answer or answers in a condescending manner, go ask someone else and don't drink a pint with them.

Above all, have fun, ask away and enjoy your flying.

I might see you in Newcastle in the circuit some day as I crunch onto 07 every now and again :E

L'aviateur
21st Feb 2008, 12:49
Don't be afraid to talk to anyone; a very friendly bunch of students and instructors at Northumbria Flying School and everyone i've come across has been incredibly helpful. Let me know if you'd like a get together with a few drinks.

Rishy
21st Feb 2008, 13:01
Hi Britannia,

I'm at Northumbria Flying School too, done about 10 hours now. Student NE's a mate of mine. Well I say mate, more of a colleague... only joking Andy :)

How about we organise a few beers one Saturday night in the bar? (Ideally following an afternoon's flying!). I'll check with Neil that it's OK to put a notice on the club board, see if a few others are interested.

Cheers

Tim

L'aviateur
21st Feb 2008, 13:13
How about this Sunday at the Wheatsheaf, is located almost opposite the entrance road to NFS on the roundabout, could make it a regular for students to share knowledge and experiences.

http://www.pub-restaurant.co.uk/show_restaurant.tpl?restaurant=686

britannia301b
22nd Feb 2008, 14:51
Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your emails and phone calls etc regarding this matter, we MUST sort an afternoon out at NCL?

Anyone else interested?

clearfinalsno1
23rd Feb 2008, 08:13
Why are you suggesting the Wheatsheaf for a meetup when you have a perfectly good bar next door to the school - Wings.

This used to be the Aero Club clubhouse before it went bust a couple of years ago, and long before that it was the airport terminal.

It can be a bit of a spitoon these days, but if enough of you go in there and ask them to turn the music down then it could become a flyers bar again.

BigStu
23rd Feb 2008, 09:52
As of last week Wings is closed down.

tonker
23rd Feb 2008, 13:21
Thank god for that.

Let's just hope foreigners buy it and run it as it as only they seem to know how.For the customer. Not some social work collective where customers are glared at for interfering with yet another family get together.

A decent pilots bar with good opening hours, and grub that competes with Pubs/Indians etc. I'd be back as would alot of my work collegues who stayed away in droves from the previous mob.

BigSteve81
23rd Feb 2008, 15:01
Hi britannia301b,

I'm 26 and I've done 41 hours towards my ppl so far at Newcastle, I remember when I first started standing round looking a bit like a lost sheep.

Try not to worry if you dont know what you talking about, I found it best just to start chatting to people about anything and everything rather than just aviation.
I didn't take me long to find that a few people that hang around there are car enthusiasts, and cars are something i can talk about for hours. So i would say that you dont have to chat about flying just because your in a flying school.
And if you have an aviation related question just explain your a newbie and ask away as everyone has been there before so anyone you ask will be happy to help you out on your way.

If people are planning a beer session in the name of all things aviation then I would well be up for that.

Steve

clearfinalsno1
23rd Feb 2008, 18:03
Tonker, thanks for the update. Although I wished to support the venue, I have to say I agree with your description wholeheartedly. £2.50 for a pint of Coke after a flight was never going to be a hit and the recent £expensive bar food tasted like a 99p supermarket microwave box - probably because it ***! Yet another failure for that venue. I just hope its not a sign of the times and that the flying crowd has diminished - otherwise the school next door might be feeling the pinch also.

g0lfer
25th Feb 2008, 18:59
I would urge caution to anyone paying for lessons in advance until the situation at Newcastle is clearer.

L'aviateur
25th Feb 2008, 19:18
why?

Not debating, but its helpful to know the reasons supporting such a statement.

Either some members know more than others... or just some unsubstaniated statements are being made.

FYI: Wings was an entirely seperate entity to NFS.

As an aside, the general advice i've been given is never to pay in advance when it comes to aviation, simply because of the uncertainty in this industry.

clearfinalsno1
26th Feb 2008, 08:08
Can anyone shine any light on why Wings Bar has now closed down?

g0lfer
26th Feb 2008, 09:58
L'Aviateur:

a) there's no need to pay up front and as you have already been advised it is not a good idea generally. Keep the money in your bank and pay by debit card or cheque.
b) With a possible recession looming luxury passtimes like flying are the first to be hit
c) If Wings has closed down, presumably it was due to lack of support. Does this have any link to the flying hours being down also? Probably.

L'aviateur
26th Feb 2008, 11:14
g0lfer, I do understand your point. But just to clarify, nothing you have stated is specific to NFS that wouldn't affect any other small flying school in the UK the same way. Simply with any flying school, do not pay upfront.

As far as i'm lead to believe, the reason 'Wings' was shutdown was due to an increase in rates and the decision to not renew the lease. Although 'rumours' are that it will be made to good use, but probably not for the benefit of GA. On the other hand NFS has increased it's prices slightly, which I doubt will affect trade; it certainly won't deter me.

In short; I don't believe that NFS is at a higher risk then any other small flying school, subject to the information presented as yet.