View Full Version : Family life in Dubai?

Calcify
20th Feb 2008, 16:32
I'm looking into Emirates, after 9 years of ExpressJet (a US Regional). I'm ready for a change, and none of the US majors are intriguing enough for me to leave ExpressJet. Really the only concern I have is my wife and kids being happy. She is up for the move but is naturally hesitant about life in the Middle East. I have three young girls (6,3,&1), and my wife doesn't work. I'm trying to get as much info on Dubai, cuz everyone knows if the wife isn't happy, no one is happy.

Thanks for the info.

FlyingCroc
20th Feb 2008, 17:00
Surprise you lasted 9 years :eek: I would choose the US majors, but depends on your situation, age etc. If your wife is flexible the sandpit is an option for a few years, you will gain experience in international operations, great destinations etc. For wife and family it is not a bad life provided your wife is open minded. Good schools, good shopping, plenty of help in the household (maids, cleaners, babysitters etc). I think it is a great choice, but only for a limited time, it is not a career here.

schismatic
20th Feb 2008, 17:03
Read the earlier threads. They say it all in various ways.

First year. Fun, different and exciting
Second year. Somewhat disappointed but thinking things are temporary hitches
Third year. Feeling cheated
Forth year. Angry.
Fifth year. Dismayed. Anxious. Wondering why you did not see the obvious.
Sixth year. Damage control. Seeking an exit strategy.
Seventh year. If you haven't made an exit the rest is resignation, like a whipped dog accepting whatever may come. Hoping one day someone will leave the gate open and the way out becomes apparent....

Calcify
20th Feb 2008, 17:24
I'm 33 years old and an offline check airman. I have a good schedule and make more than most 737 captains. I find myself a little bored and am looking for a change. EK would be a big change, I know I would love living in Dubai and my wife is very open minded, but it will be a big culture shock. This wouldn't be temporary for use, so another concern would be getting back to the US to see family. Right now our family lives half way across the country so we don't see them much. I'm sure we will see them even less if we move half way around the world.

Scudsy
20th Feb 2008, 17:41
We await with baited breath the publication of the March roster. Then we can answer your question. BIG, Big changes over here. New roster rules in force.

Getting back to the USA?

Well concorde isn't flying any more so.....

Perhaps not that often.

FlyingCroc
20th Feb 2008, 17:42
However if your goal is the majors you are getting old. Make a decision NOW. Dubai is not a bad place to live, but no comparison to US or Europe. It will NOT be a career. Plan on 4-6 years for upgrade, another 2-3 years as captain then you might to move at around 42+. As I said not too bad, but plan around 6-9 years. Cheers Mate

Calcify
20th Feb 2008, 19:21
Why do you say EK isn't a career? I know Dudai is in the desert, but how is the humidity? How is the company housing for pilots? Does Dubai have much in the way of family type activities?

Kapitanleutnant
20th Feb 2008, 19:38
Calcify...

I was in Dubai in September and it was quite hot and VERY humid. Since you're from the states, imagine what a Miami humidity feels like and add about 30-40 percent on top of that. I was surprised. I had spent some time down in Miami and it has never been over about 37 (100F) in Miami. Dubai goes well above 37 AND has the humidity. Of course, you don't spend a lot of time outdoors then.

I suggest you take a "fact finding" trip/tour to Dubai at some point to check it out for yourself. I did this and found I really enjoyed Dubai, but I was there as a tourist and didn't have to live there on a day to day basis... but I still liked it.

Cheers

K

Shaman
20th Feb 2008, 20:22
Talking of wives, if a pilot is invited for an interview, which Gulf airlines provide tickets for the pilot AND their wife?

Calcify
20th Feb 2008, 21:46
The pay cut and loss of QOL to go to a US major doesn't appeal to me. I'll stay at Express before going to a US major. Now EK's route structure and equipment does appeal to me, as well as the stability of being a government owned airline. I also like the idea of living somewhere completely different from anywhere I've been. I do not however what to jump around for the rest of my career so I was hoping to make a career of EK. I know no airline is perfect and I'm willing to work through the snags, but why am I hearing EK isn't a good career airline. Does EK pay for the wives to come out during the interview? If not I'll defiantly bring the family to Dubai before I make that big of a jump.

Calcify
20th Feb 2008, 22:38
How is company housing for pilots with families?

Nevrekar
21st Feb 2008, 02:32
Are you looking at a DEC position at EK or an F/O position? With the falling dollar and high cost of living in Dubai it can get a bit dicey based on posts on this forum. One thing you do have to keep in mind is that you will be gone a lot. If your wife ok with being alone with the three girls? Right now they are still young, but as they get older (puberty) they may perhaps get a lot of unwanted attention from local adults. As someone suggested, perhaps you can go there and see for yourself. On the other hand, when you go there, they will be serving you the company coolaid, which tastes pretty good initially. If you have never been to the ME and have no exposure to the culture, then do all the research before you dive in. For most, the intent is "career" but 2-3 years later, not so much.

GuessWhat
21st Feb 2008, 02:48
It has been said before, but - my advice is to await the VERY interesting March schedule. It might be one of the stupidest changes they ever made, and will have an enormous impact on ppls lifequality here. Stay away until this is settled once and for all.

Calcify
21st Feb 2008, 02:58
Nevrekar, I'm interested in an FO position. What is the change for the March roster?

Backwater
21st Feb 2008, 03:46
Calcify - you remind me of a moth attracted to a candle. Do a search on this forum - your answers are there.
Ignore the info at your peril.
Oh, and if you do come here for a look, make sure it's May- Sep. 40+ with 80%+ Humidity. In April the temps go up dramatically, only dropping to a bearable range in late October.
The terms career and expat are mutually exclusive.

sispanys ria
21st Feb 2008, 21:51
I don't think so many EK pilots moved to DXB because on one morning they woke up with the need to move and live the arab way of life. The point was easy money and easy life for westerners, with maids and king Fadh lifestyles.
Today there is inflation, traffic etc... and the job is just a pilot job, like in many airlines...and people are showing the real reason why they came... $$$$$

By the way, I'm not sure it is more risky to have teenage girls in DXB than is some other west places... locals are not rapping girls everydays...

doubleu-anker
22nd Feb 2008, 03:26
Do you really want to expose your family to this?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=314686

Marooned
22nd Feb 2008, 03:34
Moving to EK because you're bored? Probably the worst reason to risk your career & family to come to Dubai.

You're a check airman, do some checking. All that glitters is not gold and you won't have to scratch too hard to find out that it smells as well.

rwy24c
22nd Feb 2008, 06:56
...you won't be happy here. nor will your family be happy.
if you are still serious at it try to follow the advice of others: do a fact finding tour together with your family.

good luck!

(I fly longhaul on b744f for a european carrier. very happily and glad that I did not end up at the gulf...)

sispanys ria
22nd Feb 2008, 09:59
I guess that if your main concern about living in DXB is about carrying marijuana, then i guess your place is not there.
To enjoy the expat life you have to understand you are a kind of guest in a new country, with different cultures and traditions (good and bad ones).
It's not the question about it being the best place in the world, it's just about your ability to accept those differences.
DXB is a very very superficial place, but it's also one of the best multicultural environment (depending on how you think you can benefit from it). If you think it's just a question of coming to get some money from silly Arabs, then you'd better return to your own dreamland...

menard
22nd Feb 2008, 17:36
Air sinapsys,

You can get money from the silly arabs, and from the normal ones too!

Internationalpilot
23rd Feb 2008, 01:38
just stay away..have a normal life. This place is hot, humid,caotic, noisy and becoming expensive. Money is not enough, life style...what life style? After a while you 'll start asking why you came especially if you have a good job in your country...so please stay away..and don't trust anybody in this forum... Keep recovering!

amendedclearance
23rd Feb 2008, 04:34
If you've never been to the middle east I suggest you take a vacation here with all your family.

Your wife and children may not like Dubai. Like many already said, this is not a career choice for the majority of pilots at EK. After a few months it'll be getting very boring.

Also EK is not anymore as it used to be...

sispanys ria
23rd Feb 2008, 05:40
What ? Hot and humid ? How come nobody told you before you move over there !?!?
Poor fellas...

bobsback
23rd Feb 2008, 06:50
Calcify...seems that you're not getting much real info. I've been here more than 5 years now. Things have changed in all areas. Some for the good, some for the worse. EK housing is generally good. 4 bedroomed villas with all amenaties paid for. That area I am very happy with.
With the new max 14 days off we are all yet to see how that works but many may be upset with it. As an FO money may be tight as in you won't save a penny but as a Capt thigs get better very quickly.
Driving is dreadful. Dreadful. Third world mentality.
The job: new planes, varied destiations, some 9 day trips which are nasty but some nice trips too...JFK, PVG, SYD, JNB. As pilots we moan about everthing but generally this is not a bad place. My wife & children have a decent life here but she is a strong minded, independant girl who makes it happen.
Generally 3 years to command on 777 4 years on Airbrush. The FOs I fly with are pretty happy with their lot.
I like it here and have no plans to move.

Guns-A-GoGo
23rd Feb 2008, 14:48
I hear much about FO's being tight with the money. I have to ask a few questions. It has been my experience that pilots live ABOVE their means. Boats, motorcycles, seadoos, and the what not. I am coming over with my wife, we have no debt, and a plan financially. We have nothing in the states to take care of. Is this the case for many of the pilots in Dubai? I am not refering to the families that have brought their children.

I understand also that new hires aren't covered by the heath system provided by the company. Does this last 6 months? Our plan is to Cobra our present plan for the 6 months. Any thoughts?

We have planned for the temp housing when I arrive. Getting the starter pack, buying a bed, till we are placed in permanent housing. Then having the unit head back to the states for the hot months. What is the size of the temp housing? Is there any fees for my wife to travel to the states after 2 months of employment?

One last question, what about suggested banks? I don't need to transfer money, just access it when I want. More specifically, a bank that will issue a debit card that can be used on overnights, and in the US.

Internationalpilot, no need to reply, I already know what you are going to say.

Thanks,

Guns

Backwater
23rd Feb 2008, 17:48
I understand also that new hires aren't covered by the heath system provided by the company.
Are you sure about that? I know that costs associated with pregnancy/birth have a qualifying period but you get (and have the premium deducted from your salary) a family healthcare insurance package.
Call up the recruiters - call them, now - it's nearly 11pm - they won't mind :}
Make sure of these seemingly small but important facts before you resign your seniority number. Trust me.

Guns-A-GoGo
24th Feb 2008, 15:27
Both my wife and I heard it during the tour. You won't be covered during the first 6 months of employment. Of course, there could be a few qualifiers to this, but it was said. I could have meant the dependants, but I if anyone knows for sure, it would be nice to know.

Guns

Raise or Fold
24th Feb 2008, 16:26
Guns,
Did your wife go with you to Dubai?
If so, what did she do while she was there?
Any insight on the interview? Mine is in April.

Thanks for any info.
R or F

Wizofoz
24th Feb 2008, 17:35
Unless it's changed, spouse/dependants covered by medical and dental from day 1 except for pregnancy and pre-existing conditions. Should be easy to check.

sioux115
24th Feb 2008, 18:53
Also from what I remember from the recruitment session was that they suggest keeping your COBRA for 6mos. because you will be on probation aswell.

mothflyer
24th Feb 2008, 19:03
Stay away, keep your sanity and live a normal life. The place is false, stressfull, hot, dusty, smelly and NOT for family life if you and your family have a choice.

Dont do it, its not worth the strain it will put on your family!

Internationalpilot
25th Feb 2008, 02:12
Yeah..curious.
May be it is a case of Stockholm Syndrome... after a while you start simpathizing with your jailer...Let's be honest..I never flew with anybody really happy of being here and not thinking somehow to get out. Dubai notwithstanding all the marketing they are doing remains the most horrible place I have ever seen. Sand and cement, stupid dudes with hyper polluting cars trying to kill each others, middle age laws, beaches transformed in mega speculative project where no body will live. A place where they can conceive something like Dubai Marina.. the most horrible deserted stack of cement I have ever seen and compounds of badly built villas that looks like the set of the Prisoner....but at Montecarlo prices.
The all project is dated and based on the misconception that humanity will continue in this direction without any toll to pay. Wrong..the toll is on his way... Emirates is part of this project and in the long term their mega hyper airports will be deserted and the mega airplanes they ordered will probably stay on the tarmac. Sooner than that day they will not be able to find indians willing ot work for them for free and pilots for half the money...and that will be the start of the end.
Cause the secrets of present succes of Emirates and Dubai are two:
exploitation and oil
They pay worker on the tarmac a ridicolous 300 400 dollar per month.. while in civilized lets say Europe its at least 3000 euros including tax and pension. And pilots what ? Half of what, lets say, Lufthansa pays. A Lufthansa captain cost at least 15 to 20000 euros per month to the company inlcuding tax and pension...living in a free speech country ,with all civil rights and a real pension not sharja law and Emirates joke fund
Sustaining all this with the incredible profits of oil it is easy. Before the first gulf war it was 20 $ a barrel now is 100$...and take a look at when the big expansion of this place started. It paid off well.
And you really believe they pay kerosene at market price? What a joke.
The all lot, Dubai and Emirates is just marketing and appearance, making you believe something that doesn't exist or it's plain false with shining light and special effects.
There is nothing like a lifestyle in Dubai...it is a cemented, noisy, piece of desert reaching incredible temperatures and humidity for 8 months a year and being so .. you can have mirage. The all story is nothing more then a mirage... Add to all of this hyper inflation..skyrocketing prices and you can understand why I stongly suggest you .. don't be fooled like I was.. if you are not desperate.. fast track your life... stay home!!!!

boeingbusbenn
25th Feb 2008, 04:17
My understanding is that less than 10% of Dubai's GDP is from oil...

Cyberbird
25th Feb 2008, 07:21
It couldn't be stated any better:

"Dubai notwithstanding all the marketing they are doing remains the most horrible place I have ever seen. Sand and cement, stupid dudes with hyper polluting cars trying to kill each others, middle age laws, beaches transformed in mega speculative project where no body will live!":=

Spot on - it's just a matter of time 'til this fata morgana on greed and dis-honesty will disappear again in the sand - love it or leave it - my C.V.s are sent out - this is going to be my last year here - you bet:E

777Contrail
26th Feb 2008, 19:16
Cyberbird, my feelings exactly!

Must be out by year's end..................

PositiveRate876
26th Feb 2008, 20:37
...you won't be happy here. nor will your family be happy.
[...] (I fly longhaul on b744f for a european carrier. very happily and glad that I did not end up at the gulf...)

:rolleyes: There's a quality piece of advice! :rolleyes:

We have a saying "cockroach don't have business in a fowl's yard".

Calcify you have to take what you read here with a grain of salt. Half these people have never even been here, for all we know they might be some 14 year old on dad's computer.

EK has it's growing pains, but compared to a US regional, it will be an improvement. After 9 years you'll definately have less days off, but might end up spending just as much time with family. There are plenty opportunitites in training which will allow you to be home even more. The route structure in interesting and equipment well maintained. The growth potencial is also a plus.

The deciding factor for you will probably be your families take on Dubai. It's a city that's growing at a very fast rate, which will be nice in 30 years when it's done, but in the meantime the constant road works, traffic, noise, and dust can get old. They try to make all the services and utilities first class, but they all seem to have a catch that drag them back into the dark ages. You will cuss the phone company and banks on weekly basis, as they just can't get things right. Depending on which part of the states you're from, driving can be heavily on the defensive side.

There are things to do still. The new housing projects being built are conductive to the pilot's wifes getting togerher, and the neighbourhoods good for kids your age to ride a bike around and play with other kids. Since maids are inexpensive, your wife might get bored soon. So if she's not going to work she will need a hobby after the kids get older.

If I were you I'd come out for the selection process, buy your wife a ZED fare on the same flight as the one EK will book you and have a look. Unless you know someone here that can show you around, EK tour is quite lame, so rent a car an have a look around. Then decide.

Good luck.

Wiley
27th Feb 2008, 00:27
buy your wife a ZED fare on the same flight as the one EK will book you...and introduce her to one of the joys of EK staff travel from Day One... as she watches you and your flight taxi out on its way to (and/or from) Dubai... from the staff travel check in desk... which, unless you choos very carefuly, on 90% of EK flights, is about as far as she will get with a ZED, ID90 or any other kind of subload ticket.

rwy24c
27th Feb 2008, 15:21
...to read all the posts in various pprune threads of all those folks who have made the decision to move to the sandpit and still defend their career move.

even more entertaining to see some people disqualify the opinion of colleagues who have seen it all and who cannot recommend this place.

(we do have layovers in kuwait, doha, dubai and abu dhabi, just to name a few. so i know what i am talking about. and i have friends at ek too...)

i understand that they have to find the positive sides of being with emirates and living in the desert, dust, dirt and hot climate...
...because they have made this (poor) decision!

otherwise they would feel very bad every time they look into the mirror. :ugh:

my advice is still valid:
have a thorough look at this nightmare before you move to this place!

goeasy
27th Feb 2008, 15:32
Rwy24c ... a VERY personal opinion ... !!!

I think DXB/AUH have a lot of lifestyle advantages, but it is a personal opinion! No one can tell another individual whether they would enjoy/endure life there. I certainly would go to the UAE before Germany! Even for half the money!

rwy24c
27th Feb 2008, 17:53
...dubai and abu dhabi have a lot of lifestyle advantages!
...compared to saudi arabia!!! :ugh:

outofsynch
28th Feb 2008, 06:10
Or Germany.... or UK!!!! WEATHER - Being number one! :D

ONE that outweighs many of the 'percieved' disadvantages.

Just a personal opinion of course, but shared by lots of people I know.

mothflyer
28th Feb 2008, 07:00
well well well, Dubai over Germany huh! Well, as I've written here before about this subject I'd just like to expand.

My wife and I 'endured' Dubai for 2 years and now we live in Northern Germany. I am British and NOT home sick in any way shape or form, compared to Dubai, Germany is heaven and couldnt give a damn about the weather when the way of living is comfortable and logical!

No matter what we did or had to do in Dubai, it was a chore. Driving is dangerous and frustrating and the roads are full of drivers its taken more than 40 lessons to teach, and they still have no clue.

All matters involving the countries systems or services that you must get involved in or register with, are a complete shambles... hours of quing, pushed from pillar to post by staff that really couldnt give a f**k.

The indians, Filipinos, etc are shown NO respect atall and work day in day out for these selfish and disrespectful Arabs. Most of which havent seen a women for years so constantly stare longingly at any women who passes them.

Housing is expensive if you want a decent level of living, and still rising.

The weather from April to November is too hostile to do anything for too long outside so your limited to Malls which at the weekends are bursting with folk. The scenery over on the other coast is better but still dusty and drab.

The good points are too few to outweigh the negatives. Theres too much to write about... sorry (angry from UK will shut up now)... :ugh:

sispanys ria
28th Feb 2008, 07:28
How can you compare UAE and Germany ? Cultures are so different, meaning that depending on your own origins, your opinion might be very different from another...
Anyway, how can people complain about temperature and sand ? What did they expect when moving over there ? To find snow and santa ? Easy life with no stress still can be enjoyed, and I guess the less narrow minded people would come, the better it will remain.
Unsatisfied and money focussed people, please go back and stay away...or just don't blame the country, unless somebody forced you to move.

menard
28th Feb 2008, 08:14
And pigs will fly....

tbaylx
28th Feb 2008, 13:59
All in all Dubai and the rest of the middle East is what you make of it. if you are moving and expecting Utopia forget it, you will be dissapointed. This place has issues just like anywhere else. There are people that it just dosen't suit and who cannot adapt to the way things are done over here. Fair enough, it does take some getting used to.

There are many more of us that have figured out how it works and enjoy living here. Yes we miss some stuff from home, but there is a whole bunch more stuff i can do here that i couldn't at home. Lots of families here that have been here 10+ years and like it..some that are here for 6 months and go home. Each to his own.

End result is that you won't know if you are one of the haters or expats for life till you come over and live here for yourself.

PositiveRate876
28th Feb 2008, 17:12
The indians, Filipinos, etc are shown NO respect atall and work day in day out for these selfish and disrespectful Arabs.

It's very befitting that you now live in Germany, with this sort of racist and biased attitude. :mad:

harry the cod
28th Feb 2008, 18:31
Positive

Are you saying that Dubai isn't a racist country? Could you please explain that for us.

Harry

PositiveRate876
28th Feb 2008, 18:53
Harry you're confusing racism for classism.

U.A.E. is a very classist society. The majority of discrimination and inequality in the U.A.E. is due to class and not race.

It's still not right, but there is a big difference.

Rule3
28th Feb 2008, 20:04
PositiveRate876

I'm confused and bemused by your comment.:confused:May I ask, to which "CLASS" do you belong?

sispanys ria
28th Feb 2008, 21:01
Due to my origins, I suffered racism in Europe all my life. I think I have a good experience with it.
I don't think UAE is a racist contry at all. Just go to Satwa and see the mix of cultures. Travel to Oman and you will see even more obvious mixes.
I agree with the focus on classes.
Racism comes with hate. I don't feel any hate towards foreigners, except maybe towards those not able to respect a minimum of local culture, getting drunk and noisy in public places (it's still an arabic country, and not temple bar...).
You can find simple workers to top managers coming from India, Pakistan, Philippines etc...but i agree with the idea of abused low classes.
(the same one that are dying while trying to reach European boundaries).

goeasy
28th Feb 2008, 23:31
tbaylx... couldnt have put it better myself! No one persons opinion has much relevance to anothers.. it is entirely personal.

I havent lived in the UAE, but have visited and spoken to many who are happy there. The only people who seemed desperately unhappy there (to me) are those who didn't do their homework before they arrived... :ugh:

menard
29th Feb 2008, 06:29
goeasy,

Just do your own homework, come and live here for a few years, then you can bring your two cents.

In the meantime, please keep your personal opinion about why people are happy here, or why they are not happy. You don't know what your talking about. Your just here to toss the cr@p. Some people have done their homework before they came here, and, things have changed...Unfortunately.

Please walk before you talk.....

Regards.

harry the cod
29th Feb 2008, 07:58
Sispanys / positive

No, i'm not confusing racism with class and how on Earth you can claim Dubai non racist is beyond me. Racism is based entirely on one race being treated differently to another and that's what happens here. Emirati people are treated differently. If dubai was not a racist Country then please could you explain the following;

1) 2 years ago there was a 30% pay rise for Emirati government employees and 15% for everyone else. The Emirati's received their rise the month after the announcement, everyone else waited over 6-9 months while the admin was 'sorted'. No back pay either I gather.

2) A 70% pay rise awarded this year to all Emirati government employees. Everyone else.................

3) Discount on mortgage rate if you are an Emirati. Everyone else.......

4) Discount on car loans if you are an Emirati. Everyone else............

5) No 5% property tax to pay if you are an Emirati. Everyone else.......

6) Vastly subsidised Electricity if you are an Emirati. Everyone else......

7) No Water rates to pay if you are an Emirati. Everyone else..............

8) Final salary pension if you are an Emirati. Everyone else..................

9) No restriction on house location as an Emirati. Everyone else...........

10) Do I really need a tenth point?

I think it's you who's confusing class with racism.

Harry

goeasy
29th Feb 2008, 08:30
Fair comment. I have done lots of research, including visiting twice.

PERHAPS my opinions might change, once I have lived there a few years.

But if I do come, I will come knowing 'things' may change to my disadvantage, but I will come knowing and expecting that. i can cope with being a foreigner, and the associated treatment.

I am an expat living in the UK and there is plenty to complain about here too. But I am not on websites venting my spleen, telling people that they are stupid for even considering coming here...

All my point is, that everyone is different, and one person's hell, maybe another person's paradise. Neither person is wrong!

mothflyer
29th Feb 2008, 08:56
thanks Harry, I think my statement was misunderstood. I agree with your points and was not making a racist comment myself.

I also agree, each to their own.

PositiveRate876
29th Feb 2008, 09:46
Harry, your nine and a half points are all correct.

But I still disagree with your 'racism' claim. "Emiratis" come from different tribes and include Arab, Black, and in more recent history are mixed with Pakistani other ethnic groups.

What your post proved is 'nationalism'.
Meaning that the citizens of one's own country have distinct advantages over foreign visitors. And to a certain degree, that's not such a bad thing. Especially in a highly unusual circumstance as in the U.A.E. where the citizens of the country are a very small minority.

I look at all the local benefits not with jelousy like you, but with admiration. (And I'm a foreigner myself here). To build a country in 50 years that can provide its citizens with all these benefits and services is something that industrialised nations in the West haven't been able to achieve in centuries.

And unlike these countries' attempts to benefit from other people's labour a few centuries ago, in the UAE, the foreigners came on their own volition and not by force.

Placido
29th Feb 2008, 14:36
This place is great!

I love sand & sun! Quadbikes & cabincrew!

There's only one person responsable for your happyness, that's yourself!

Get a Hummer and go!

sanddude
29th Feb 2008, 14:46
Positive 876
Very good posting, 100 % coorect. Me thinks harry is a bit ignorant, me also think this is not a very good qualification for a trainer.:=

clevlandHD
29th Feb 2008, 15:08
Positive rate,

I think slavery was abolished in the late 50s so your remark about coming here on your own...
The place is racist, sexist, "classist" and nationalist.
If you are an Arab male, with cash, related to a sheik and UAE national, life is real good.
If you are from the sub-continent, female, poor and Indian you are in for a tough ride.
Let's say these two individuals have a car accident, who do you think will walk with the responsibility (regardless of the facts)?

harry the cod
29th Feb 2008, 16:47
Positive

You agree with my nine points then you try to disagree with me?

The fact is that non Emiratis, whatever their colour, creed or religion, are discriminated against. You can dress it up however you like but you are only kidding yourself. As for jealousy, i'm not in any way envious of an Emirati. The ones i've worked with are generally polite and get on with their own lives leaving me to get on with mine. However, their work ethics tend to vary greatly, especially amongst some of the females who know full well that few non Emiratis would risk sacking them. Sacking them for demeanors that others here and abroad would undoubtedly lose their jobs over. The government protects them regardless of their abilities and that's plain wrong.

As I said, call it what you like but as clevelandHD states, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and i've eaten enough in the UAE to know how it tastes.

Sandude

What the frig has training got to do with it and what makes you think I am one? Back of the class for you.

Harry

BYMONEK
29th Feb 2008, 17:26
PositiveRate876

Argh...yes, the old chestnut about free choice. Yep, can't disagree with you on that. All those Indian construction workers who paid all that money up front to come here. Do you think they chose to work their butts off 6 days a week, 12 hours a day? Do you think all the facts were presented to them as they signed the dotted line? Like not only the long, long hours but the squalid living conditions with 10 to a room and pay ( if they get it), of around 8-900 dhs month. I doubt it. That might just cut it in India but with the cost of living here, I call that slavery. When they do complain, or display any form of malcontent, they are arrested , sent to prison for 3 months, then deported. 7 days recently ran a short story on the latest 70 to fall victim to the 'free speech' that's allowed here. I guess that's why property is so expensive for what it is. All this prison time and deportations must cost a fortune

The local entrepreneurs need not lose sleep, however, as there are plenty more volunteers to fill their place and build their emerald city. Workers signing on the same corrupt dotted lines, oblivious of the lies and broken promises that lie ahead. Dreams and hopes shattered by nothing more than utter greed.

PositiveRate876
29th Feb 2008, 17:39
All those Indian construction workers who paid all that money up front to come here. To work their butts off 6 days a week, 12 hours a day.

When you compare this employment to no employment whatsoever and life in accomodations such as the ones you will find near the threshold of RWY 27 in Bombay, things come into perspective.

PositiveRate876
29th Feb 2008, 17:41
You agree with my nine points then you try to disagree with me?

I see your 9 points in a different light than you do.

BYMONEK
29th Feb 2008, 18:19
PositiveRate876

Yes, and comments like that are just what i'd expect from the low life that employ these people. By God they are poor but to take advantage of this by blatant lies is beyond belief. That's how the locals sleep here at night by justifying the 'job opportunities' that they create for the lower classes. Statistically, the majority of low paid workers spend the first 12-18 months working for free, paying off the 5-7000 dhs it cost them to get here in the first place! I wonder just how many still feel the same way about the land of golden opportunity as when they first arrived. When they return home 3 years later to see their families for the first time in as many years.

The crazy thing about all this is people like you buy into it.

menard
29th Feb 2008, 19:27
A lot of those poor people by the threshold of 27 in BOM would come here to work for free if they would be offered. But, offering underpaid jobs to poor people doesn't make you a great person, it's abusing their situation. When you run a multi billion ultra-profitable business, dignity, you can afford....so paying fair wages would be....fair.

GMDS
1st Mar 2008, 05:45
Dignity??? There's a spelling error, in Arabic it's "Dirham" :yuk:

millerscourt
1st Mar 2008, 06:05
BYMONEK

Do I detect that the place is getting to you at last?? You would never get White Knight saying such things!! His concience is clear through those rose tinted glasses.:ugh:

sanddude
1st Mar 2008, 09:21
So one can assume that most of you guys posting on this thread are paying there 6 days a week 7 to 6 working maids something in the range of 2500-3000 Dhs? Hats of for you guys! Fine example of how it should be, change the world start with yous selfs:ok:

Funny that most guys I speak to are paying the slavery wage of 1000-1500, but surely not you guys. I have to admit that I do, thats why I shut up on this thread because that would be a bit hypo..

menard
1st Mar 2008, 09:44
We don't have a maid, I don't buy fake dvd's....etc...So don't put all people in your pre-conceived ideas, that's not fair..

harry the cod
1st Mar 2008, 15:22
Sandude

You make a lot of assumptions when you post and the most recent two are fine examples. I, like Menard, choose not to have a maid. The ball & chain manages quite nicely on her own. Not only for house keeping but for the far more important task of raising our children. Although almost grown up now, the cost of leaving a vital job like this to an under qualified and inexperienced maid should not be underestimated. You can't put a price on that but some out there are happy for their kids to be 'moulded' by someone else for £200 a month. I can spot the maid raised kid a mile off.

Standards of pay amongst maids does vary greatly i'll agree, but most I know pay 1500 - 1800 and that's for 5 days a week. Occassional babysitting and most with own room. Pay for 1 holiday home per year. Those that deliver under this average tend not to be Westerners but Arab/ Indian background employers. The same ones that apply the 'Bombay' principle that positiveRate876 condones.

I'm still waiting for your answer to my earlier question by the way!

Harry

Harry