PDA

View Full Version : Active Aerospace in Vancouver BC

JJflyer
29th Jan 2001, 00:16
Any ideas about this company. What is their reputation in Canada ? Has anybody done training with them ?
www.activeaerospace.com (http://www.activeaerospace.com)

JJ

Leading_Edge
29th Jan 2001, 05:57
I heard they were pretty good. Not bad training if you can pony up the dough.

jeff748
29th Jan 2001, 07:38
I did the 737 course there with a Cdn carrier footing the bill. First experience with a CBT. Very intensive program, and for some, the way to go. Others may require more chalk and talk to understand the machine better. For those who don't, the system can't be beat. Flying Beaver close by too for after session whistle whetting.

JJflyer
29th Jan 2001, 20:05
I am happy to hear that as I am going to cough up the dough .Hahaha.
Then I had one more question, actually about Canadian ATPL. How does it actually work. I have a US ATP and the required hours ... I have heard about things like Samra or Saron or how ever these words are written. I wonder if somebody could clarify this a little to me .. Perhaps you Luftwaffle.

JJ

Luftwaffle
29th Jan 2001, 21:53
Yessir, JJ. I'm looking forward to meeting you at the Beaver.

An initial Canadian ATPL requires (I know you have the hours, but I might as well answer the question completely):
1500 h total time
250 h PIC
100 h night
25 h night cross-country PIC
200 h cross-country PIC
(OR 100 h x-c PIC and 200 h x-c co-pilot)
75 h instrument (25 h may be in simulator)
Valid Class 1 medical
An instrument ride passed within the last 12 months.
A valid group 1 (multi engine non-centreline thrust) instrument rating.
Scores of at least 70% on the SARON and SAMRA exams in the last 24 months. The names sort of roughly stand for what they're about, or maybe what they used to be about.
They cost CAN$110 each to write. You can write them at the FSS building, which is in walking distance of Active Aerospace. You need no appointment, just enough time before closing. You can write them on different days.

The syllabus to study is on the Transport Canada website at http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/general/FLTCREW/study.htm

Compared to the US style of questions there are more calculations, more ADF-related questions. Obviously we have different air law, and make sure you have a good look at our METARs and GFAs. They aren't quite the same as the US.

JJflyer
29th Jan 2001, 22:39
Thank you Luftwaffle...

Well then one more question. Ar the SARON and SAMRA tests conducted the same way FAA does it's written exams or are these the done on the paper ???

JJ

P.S. If you talk with Chris tell him hello.

Luftwaffle
29th Jan 2001, 23:12
On paper. Multiple choice.

You turn up with your logbook, your licence and medical, calculator (must be able to show that the memory is cleared, and only certain types of programmables are allowed: check beforehand), writing implements, whiz wheel and money. You tell them what exam you want to write. You fill out a form. They rummage about in a filing cabinet and give you a folder containing the exam, a FOR EXAMINATION PURPOSES ONLY, NOT TO BE USED FOR NAVIGATION chart, supplementary materials, some scrap paper, and an answer sheet. The supplementary materials are things like diagrams, approach plates, performance tables, and weather charts. The exam questions occasionally refer you to the supplementary materials. Check that the exam is for the right subject, fixed wing, and in your preferred official language. The invigilator will tell you what time she is recording as your start time. You take everything to a room provided for that purpose, and you can begin right away. You mark your answers on the answer sheet. You can get more scrap paper if you want, but you have to hand in the used scrap paper before they give it to you. When you are done, or when the time is up, you take everything, including the scrap paper, back to the desk and they feed your answer sheet through a marking machine. They give you back a printout telling you your score in each area of the test, your overall score, and the syllabus section corresponding to each question you answered incorrectly.

There is no master list of questions available. They can ask you anything that is on the syllabus.