PDA

View Full Version : Duxford Safety Bonus Day 12th April 2008

alphaalpha
19th Feb 2008, 13:39
There's a separate thread giving details of the Duxford Bonus Days for 2008 (heavily discounted landing and entry fees at Europe's premier aviation museum), see here:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3922397#post3922397

On 12th April, to kick-off the flying season, we will have an informal Safety Bonus Day:

• Steve McKie of NATS “Airspace Infringements” He will show some of the thought-provoking radar replays of controlled airspace infringements.
• Farnborough ATC will explain how the London LARS works, timed to coincide with the extension to the north – just for once you can talk to a controller face to face.
• Irv Lee, who runs the ‘Fly on Track’ website, will be giving some of his popular and easy-to-understand weather tips.
• David Cockburn of CAA will explain their friendly policy towards use of GPS – safely.
• AOPA will introduce their Wings Award scheme for developing PPLs/NPPLs

The day won’t be the usual format of hours of formal presentations. Instead, arrive and leave when you like and while you’re here chat in small groups to the professionals mentioned above. David Cockburn will give his presentation at 12.00 and 14.30, and will be informally available throughout the day. There’s no special charge, just the normal Bonus Day discounted landing and discounted museum admission. On 12th April only, if the weather is poor, or if you can’t fly in, you can come in by car and benefit from the discounted museum admission fee of £7 – but you must pre-book.

Further information about the Bonus Days and information for fly-in visitors can be found on the web site http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/ (soon to be updated for 2008).

The airfield team look forward to hearing from you (call for PPR and briefing or to arrive by car 01223 833376) and seeing you on the day.

Alan.

DX Wombat
19th Feb 2008, 15:56
Oops! Missed seeing this thread. I'm hoping to be there in KC. :ok:
I'm not sure that news will produce tears of joy amongst the denizens of LATCC.:\

alphaalpha
23rd Feb 2008, 10:34
DX Wombat

You'll be very welcome. And you'll get to meet at least one or two of the Swanwick folk, including a London Info FISO. I think you'll find them very approachable 'cos you learned from your little adventure and all was well in the end. The whole approach on the day will totally non-threatening and helping people, including fairly inexperienced pilots to get the best out of the tools available.

The booking sheet is ready for the Bonus Safety Day, so book in as soon as you like -- 01223 833376 -- you might be number one :)

Look forward to seeing you.

Alan.

DX Wombat
23rd Feb 2008, 20:26
Hi Alan, just seen this. I'll ring tomorrow and book in. And you'll get to meet at least one or two of the Swanwick folk, including a London Info FISO. :uhoh: In that case how many packets of biccies am I going to need to bring with me? :uhoh:

DX Wombat
24th Feb 2008, 10:54
Booked in. :) I didn't get a booking number but a I was told I was no1 I assume it is 1204001 or something similar. See you then I hope.
(Providing I don't have a repeat performance of my previous two solo visits, especially the first.):ooh: :O :\

AlanM
29th Feb 2008, 21:42
Could this be kept as a sticky please, moderators??! :ok:

DX Wombat
1st Mar 2008, 11:47
I've now got a vict..er... passenger coming with me. It will be nice for me to have some company. Hope she has nerves of steel and can read charts. :uhoh: ;)

alphaalpha
6th Mar 2008, 20:44
Those folks who are thinking about flying into a Bonus Day and especially to the Safety Bonus Day on 12th April will find more details on the updated Duxford web site here:

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.3759

Don't forget to call for PPR (or if you want to drive in -- 12th April only) 01223 833376.

Mods -- are you happy to do as Alan M suggests and make this a sticky?

Alan.

DX Wombat
7th Mar 2008, 10:40
AA, Does pre-booking to fly in count if the weather turns nasty and it becomes necessary to arrive by car?

AlanM
8th Mar 2008, 06:47
Oh go on - pretty please, Moderators! :)

alphaalpha - you have a PM

DX Wombat
8th Mar 2008, 09:16
BRL - please, please would you make this a sticky - simply on the grounds that it is a safety related event? I'm sure Alan will be happy to have it relegated after 12th April. It will be worth it if it helps to stop 2008 having as bad a safety record as 2007.

alphaalpha
8th Mar 2008, 13:02
DX Wombat:

In general at Bonus Days, the special discounts only apply if you fly in. However for this Safety Bonus Day, we have specially arranged that pilots/visitors who can't make it by air can drive in and still get the discounts.

I know you have booked in already (you were no. 1). the folk on the admissions till will have a list of visitors by car and road. If you do drive, just tell them your aircraft registration and remind them about the Bonus discount.

Look forward to seeing you, by air or road.

BRL/Mods

I'd be very happy if you made this a sticky until 12th April. Pretty please from me too.

Alan.

DX Wombat
10th Mar 2008, 14:13
Thank you AA. :)

DX Wombat
11th Mar 2008, 11:46
Keeping this where it should be noticed by as many as possible. :ok:

DX Wombat
15th Mar 2008, 12:19
Almost falling off the bottom of page 2 so - back to the top to keep it in the public eye. :ok:

DX Wombat
23rd Mar 2008, 00:18
Isn't anyone else other than myself and a student going to this?

Cusco
23rd Mar 2008, 00:32
'S my weddin' anniversary and I'll be out of the country with 'er indoors.

Another time mebbe.

Cusco;)

papa oscar
23rd Mar 2008, 01:00
Just booked the aircraft, hope the weather is kind :)

SkyHawk-N
23rd Mar 2008, 12:10
Not this year....and maybe never again. :ok:

DX Wombat
27th Mar 2008, 14:16
maybe never againWhy not? Was it something I said? :(

alphaalpha
27th Mar 2008, 17:15
I've just heard from Steve McKie of NATS. He'll be bringing along two of his colleagues who normally man the London Information desk. Come along and talk to them -- ask about the London Info squawk, radar, weather, whatever you've always wanted to know. A great opportunity to meet the men (and women) behind the microphones.

This is as well as radar replays of infringements. London LARS north (which starts on 1st April), Irv Lee on weather, David Cockburn on GPS and AOPA on their new Wings scheme.

It's an informal day. Come and go when you like, and of course, you'll have plenty of time to visit the museum and maybe see some warbirds limbering up for the display season.

AND enjoy the Bonus discounts (see the first post).

Hope to see lots of PPRuNers.

But please don't forget to book in before Saturday 12th April -- then you can come by car if you want or need to. 01223 833376.

Alan.

alphaalpha
12th Apr 2008, 06:19
It's a beautiful morning at Duxford as I write this -- CAVOK and wind nearly straight down the 24 runway. Showers, some heavy, forecast later. If you're coming to the Safety Bonus Day and haven't booked in yet, call us this morning from 9.00 local time for a briefing. 01223 833376.

Alan.

DX Wombat
12th Apr 2008, 15:59
TSRA SHGR BKN018CB BECMG 1922 21010KT
:( That's what stopped me from setting off. Going would probably have been OK but the return was definitely dubious. I REALLY wanted to go but the risk just wasn't worth it. :{ :{ :{

C152_driver
12th Apr 2008, 19:52
I went along (by road!) and very enjoyable it was too.

It was very interesting to watch the videos of the infringements with controllers discussing what was happening. The 50 minutes that some bloke spent beetling around Heathrow was pretty amazing. It'd be nice to think I'll never do that... :}

I stopped off at my club on the way home to find that the new charts have arrived. So I bought one. Hopefully that'll help! :)

alphaalpha
13th Apr 2008, 07:29
It certainly was sunshine and showers! We had 50-odd aircraft booked in by 9 am on Saturday. Based on past trends, this would increase to about 70 or so actual arrivals, or about 200 people. Then the phone started ringing with cancellations, and about 25-30 aircraft actually arrived. But full marks to another eight groups (at least) who switched to car at the last moment.

Judging from "customer" feedback and smiling faces, it was a successful day, and the informal format worked.

Thanks to all who braved the showers and those who braved the M11 instead. And special thanks to the experts and presenters who made the day so worthwhile.

We are considering another Safety Day for next year, this time in a bigger venue, the new AirSpace facility.

The next Duxford Bonus Day is 3rd May.

Alan.