View Full Version : Singaporeair Captain recruitment

Pages : 1 [2]

Left Coaster
26th Apr 2008, 00:54
CDWR pretty much puts the hammer right on the nail..."Greener pastures" simply refers to those expats (not just pilots) who will choose to move from any city to another simply for the dollar. It has nothing to do with lifestyle. Or stability for that matter. Or even how good a company is. If I might give a bit of advice, if you are invited to an interview, come and see! You have asked tons of questions and have been given straight answers...there's nothing left but to make up your own mind. SIA is a major player in the market and will blow right by you and leave you behind if you let em! So as the song writer said...
"What's it gonna be boy? Yes or No?"
Good luck...
LC

boeingdream787
26th Apr 2008, 08:44
CDRW,
Thanks for the lowdown on the frontline situation.Appreciate all your replies.
LC,
You've been extremely honest and informative in your replies.Thx for the short and curlies on how things will prolly turn out. I'm sure you'll understand how important it is for a pilot to ask relevant q's when one's making a lifechanging decision.Especially one which involves a complete lifestyle AND a company change. Not to mention a change of country! And not just for yourself,but for your family too...!! I probably can't underrate the importance here of asking relevant q's and getting informative and genuine responses and replies.Such as what you have always posted. And helped the pilots in this forum with.
Having said that,keep smiling but please do keep those posts coming.......:ok:
Cheers all.
BD

goma
26th Apr 2008, 12:29
Yep you guys are right have done all my research and the initial set up looks horrendous!!

Seems International schools want Major deposits down on your kids schooling,then add to this the registration fee and the first terms deposit!!

After that find yourself a place to live and yes--more deposits!!

Worked out in my particular case will cost not far off 20k just to move there and get the basic things in place.

Going for an interview soon to get the low down as better to see,hear,cx,from the horses mouth.

Im keen but not at all costs

Great help from you guys out there as you can probably remember its tough to get the low down ,big help from guys like Bananas,Ark pilot to name a few.

Will advise of progress,keep it coming GOMA:confused::confused:

BANANASBANANAS
26th Apr 2008, 15:18
Hi Goma, I think you might want to make it clear that the 20K you refer to is GB Pounds? And that is without the bank guarantee towards the bond.

goma
26th Apr 2008, 17:45
As Bananas points out its"STERLING" and then the bond money on top.

I much prefer SIN life for family and schooling etc etc but for sure you are a loser to begin with on the initial outlay compared to EK.

However sandpit doesnt do it for me so still proceeding with VERY open mind:suspect:

getsetgo
27th Apr 2008, 23:13
i think we can add
for hiring Maid"s outgoings at yearly bases
ticket price depanding upon Maids home country+annual leave+health insurance +agent fees and salary for the Maid .
finance planning becomes near to realistic.

Left Coaster
28th Apr 2008, 00:17
Yeah, but you might call having a maid a choice...not a requirement...and in our house; guess who would be the first to go if the $$$ was getting tight? (At least after I was considered :p)

portquartercv67
28th Apr 2008, 23:35
LOCBLUE's earlier comment regarding SIA and SIA Cargo.

I would agree in terms of actual working conditions as they operate under an ALPA agreement in addtion to the CAAS rules and Cargo just under CAAS AOC FTL which are less limiting. PAX ops different in terms of schedule integrity. Not to mention constant delays, cancellations on cargo flights which means contstant changes to your schedule.

But there is NO difference between the two in cost of housing, schooling. There is NO difference in the way you are treated by the company. Questions that they do not want to answer: ignored. Or if pressed, then lied to. Checking, not training. And of course the BOND. No difference there. I have posted my opinion about the BOND issue earlier. Think long and hard about signing a bond agreement. Lot's can change in the course of a few years and if not to your or your pocketbook's liking, you have to buy your freedom.

PQ

parabellum
29th Apr 2008, 00:05
Yes, you have to buy your freedom, remembering, of course, that you willingly sold it in exchange for a very useful aircraft type endorsement that your last company wouldn't/couldn't give you!;)

portquartercv67
29th Apr 2008, 04:58
Yes, no one held a gun to my head, but I made the decision to come and enter into a bond arrangement based on facts the company advertised and verbally reinforced at my interview that turned out to be false. I took the company at its word and made positve assumptions regarding professional practice (training, communication, respect for crew etc...) and adjustments to compensation that would realisticly help offset skyrocketing housing costs. I was wrong.

PQ

Phil Squares
29th Apr 2008, 05:05
Yes, no one held a gun to my head, but I made the decision to come and enter into a bond arrangement based on facts the company advertised and verbally reinforced at my interview that turned out to be false. I took the company at its word and made positve assumptions regarding professional practice (training, communication, respect for crew etc...) and adjustments to compensation that would realisticly help offset skyrocketing housing costs. I was wrong.

I will second what PQ has said. I too joined SQC based on what was in the contract and told to me at the interview. You will learn the contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on in SIN. If there is something that gets in the way because it's in the contract, you will be asked to sign a new contract with the offending clause removed. If you don't sign it, you leave. Simple as that.

The contract has language about housing, school and adjustments. It doesn't mean anything.

The best sign for me was when the former CP of SQC resigned and returned to line flying. That was the handwriting on the wall. The current CP is more concerned about where he is going to be in 5 years than taking care of the pilots who work for him.

SQ and all the associated companies, do a very good job using smoke and mirrors.

You have been warned!!!!

Left Coaster
29th Apr 2008, 05:06
The length of the bond used to worry me, and I wondered if we might have put ourselves in a position to be left behind as other companies put up better T&C's. Now with the price of oil chewing into every airline's bottom line, and US legacy carriers about to merge or fold, many smaller carriers disappearing overnight, and the industry in general looking like it will slow down the expansion, maybe a bit of stability isn't a bad thing...In other words I won't have to be out of work at the same time a whole bunch of out of work pilots are searching...(spinning it a bit... I know...but it helps me sleep a little better);)

goma
29th Apr 2008, 07:32
:cool::cool:Leftcoaster is absolutely correct in his last post,not saying SQC is good(not there yet) but seeing it slow down in Europe and a few other parts of the world now.

"Grass is always Greener" never been a better phrase,normally the other field is very much browner !!!!

Keep up the posts negative & positive its all good background knowledge

Goma(in a field that hasnt been watered!!)

BANANASBANANAS
29th Apr 2008, 10:15
I am neither a compay man nor anti company. Just honouring my side of the contract in the same manner that SIA cargo honour theirs. However, PQ, and PS do highlight very valid points.

To continue the analogy of grass being greener. Sometimes it looks that way when you are looking at the long green grass from the other side of the fence. Remember though, long green grass can hide a whole pile of crap - and, sometimes, the first you know of it is when you are suddenly up to your neck in the brown smelly stuff, trying to extricate yourself from it!

boeingdream787
29th Apr 2008, 12:09
So name me one company that does'nt have its pod patches right in the middle of its manicured green golf courses.......
With the dog come the fleas don't they......??
Cheers

goma
29th Apr 2008, 16:08
Not jumping the gun but can anyone tell me what the deal is on accomadation when you first come out for training?

Think your going to tell me thats its down to me but would just like to know.

Thanks Goma:confused:

millerscourt
29th Apr 2008, 16:54
goma 10 days room only free in hotel then you are on your own,at least that was what it was when I joined.

PS In those days we all did deals with hotel to stay on during the ground school at rates within the allowance but now you will find that all rates have increased well beyond that. Bring plenty of money with you as you will need it in addition to the bank guarantee.

BANANASBANANAS
29th Apr 2008, 19:50
Housing Allowance (married) $3350 pcm
Crew Rate at company hotel $190 per night.

When I joined it was $3000 and $100 respectively. Do the math yourself.

parabellum
29th Apr 2008, 22:38
Goma - When I did my ground school we were put in the Paramount Hotel in Katong, (is it still there?). We negotiated a deal with the hotel, our housing money went straight to the hotel, (which meant we got the much lower SIA rate, rather than the rate they would give an individual who worked for SIA, which was $127.00 per day in those days), they also gave us $300.00 per month credit in their coffee-shop/restaurant. Probably still possible to strike a deal today and it is likely to be cheaper than some of the other accommodation alternatives, especially if you are going to be on your own.
One or two of the single lads did a long term deal, got high floor corner rooms, with a sea view and balcony, their own 'phone line, fridge etc. etc. and all housekeeping taken care of, it was a better financial deal than a single apartment in Kangaroo Park, (Bayshore!).

Metro man
29th Apr 2008, 23:06
Be aware that hotel accommodation is in short supply and average room rates exceed $200/night. The Grand Mercure Roxy is a popular aircrew hotel, with free transport to the airport. However your housing allowance will leave a very large short fall.

For $3350 I doubt you'd even get a month in a "Hotel 81" or "Fragrance" and that would be an interesting experience. :E

millerscourt
30th Apr 2008, 05:34
parabellum Paramount still there but SIA changed to the new Roxy opposite Parkway Parade shopping centre.

In our day SIA picked up the bill and we paid 20% with special tax concessions but that has all changed now as they have an allowance (inadequate) added to salary (fully taxed) and you have to do your own thing.

Before I became London based I lived in a 2 bed service apartment in Orchard Rd S$4000 per month which SIA paid and charged me $800 per month. No deposit to pay as it was through the then newly introduced SIA housing scheme which you had to go through when you changed accommodation.Those were the days with Gym.Pool, TV Elec and breakfast included!!!

As Bananas says that has all changed. Glad I am not there anymore.

boeingdream787
30th Apr 2008, 16:20
Hi,
Does SIAM offer any bases for its DEC's besides Singapore? I heard someone say UK.
Also,once cleared for line flying with the local licence( Caas ),does a DEC do a minimum mandatory hours from the RHS or is it straight away from LHS. Most countries ( including FAA ) require a newly type endorsed captain to do some 100 odd hours from the RHS towards route/airplane familiarisation.
Wonder if its the same in Singapore.

captseth
30th Apr 2008, 18:08
Most countries ( including FAA ) require a newly type endorsed captain to do some 100 odd hours from the RHS towards route/airplane familiarisation.

Not true at all. I checked out last month on the DC10 with no RHS time.

kk pilot
1st May 2008, 00:15
B787
I don't know what FAA you are referring to but the one in the US doesn't require any RHS time once you upgrade to captain. Where did that (you) come from? Obviously not from the US.....

boeingdream787
1st May 2008, 02:35
To the best of my knowledge,FAR Part 121 rules mandated that a newly appointed captain ie with fresh type endorsment on aircraft was mandatorily to do some time on Rhs,ie either under supervision or as observer.This contributed towards route fam.Obviously i was wrong....

Ndicho Moja
2nd May 2008, 05:20
Are the rosters conducive to commuting?

expat400
2nd May 2008, 07:59
Millerscourt...

A bit pessimistic are we?

There are things that are not perfect but:

I flew less than 600 hours last year. Averaged 13 days off per month. Made 303000 SGD after tax.

I'm glad I'm here!

Mack Number
2nd May 2008, 10:19
Good luck if you plan to enroll kids in school here. FYI, in today's paper the Canadian International School announced that it will guarantee places for up to $150,000 Sing. $130,000 for the second child (This is the corporate rate). For individuals the rate is $100,000 per child. 8% of the places at the school will be reserved for the scheme. It also states that the Canadian School has received 30% more applications than there are spaces available for the August intake.

This is the 3rd international school to come out with this scheme. Hey, do you think SIA might pony-up the money? Not!

Left Coaster
2nd May 2008, 11:16
Well CIS can have our space! Along with several other families, we have pulled our daughter out and will not be returning to the school. Many families are seriously PO'd about this new "system", as well as the seemingly poor staffing levels of good teachers. We spoke with the head Principal and he was sympathetic but stated that the Board was determined to go ahead with the school places for cash deal. It's being claimed that it's all the rage for International schools all over Asia...so the greed continues. Housing and schooling are what attracts many expats to move into new and well paying jobs...but it's hard to cope with the increases to the cost of working when it costs huge amounts of cash just to get started. Not any fault of the airline, but arguably an increase in allowances would go hand in hand with attracting talent. My two cents, if it keeps getting more expensive just to exist, it will be hard to get good people. Kind of a shame...

Ndicho Moja
2nd May 2008, 11:42
I know that United World College is asking close to S$200,000 to put you at the top of the list and Tanglin approx. S$170,000.00.

We are all competing against the major corporations. They will pay whatever it takes to get their people. Schools and accommodation are top of the list.:uhoh:

millerscourt
2nd May 2008, 15:57
expat400

I guess the salary you are quoting after tax includes all allowances like rental and with only 600 hours pa I guess it must include some hefty school fees as I do not see how that figure arises otherwise? Clearly with those hours you are SIACargo. If you have like I did the extra cost of maintaining a home back in your home country then those figures do not look that great.The London basings were fine as no currency fluctuations as paid in $Stg, and no standby duties and no additional housing costs and a roster months in advance.

What really matters is how much did you save out of that in your home country currency?

It also includes a large bonus of at least 6 months which cannot be guaranteed each year.

Perhaps you are also benefitting from what I hear is a newly introduced 10% tax whilst in my day when Singapore based I was paying from memory some S$30,000/ S$40,000 tax each year. I guess that makes up for the large increases in rental costs when your agreement runs out.

goma
2nd May 2008, 18:35
Thanks for all info on Training accomadation guess if I ever get in I better bring a tent!!!

Anyhow despite depressing info I appreciate the hard facts so thanks again

Goma:{

expat400
3rd May 2008, 07:29
MC

Of course it includes rental allowances. They are part of my salary because today they are not dependent on paying rent or not.
School allowance however is NOT included.

Yes, all profit sharing is included. I'm not saying that 3030000 is something that I'll always get. I just wanted to show that at the present SIA and SIA Cargo is good for captains.

You consider the pay insufficient because you keep a house empty in your home country? (Why didn't you rent it out?)
What really matters is how much did you save out of that in your home country currency?

To all of you with the same situation as MC, maybe you should consider to stay at home instead. Then all problems with currency fluctuations, two houses etc would not be an issue.
Singapore is a great place to live. If you still don't want to commit to live here for a few years then I suggest a commuting contract with Korean instead.

I said I'm glad to be HERE. Now.

millerscourt
3rd May 2008, 09:34
expat400

Glad to hear you happy where you are.

Looking at a few of your previous posts one would think otherwise.

I also note that you are paying over S$6000 per month for accommodation which does make your S$300,000 plus salary look a lot less. Also you had a$72,000 bonus and also you now have only 10% tax which does rather change matters and sweetens the pill regarding your previous complaints aired in pprune of "unsustainable positioning in Economy and lousy rosters,etc etc" You have made some pretty scathing comments about SIA Cargo in the past.

As I said before what is important is how much are you saving in your home currency after school fees and all the other expenses.?? One of these days you will retire.

Personally I found it necessary to keep a home available in my home country as I would not want to spend each day of every month in Singapore which we as Pilots do not have to endure so I would not expect my family to do so either as it is (IMO) somewhat stifling month after month without a break and in any case I educated mine in the UK so a home there was essential.

As far as a commuting job with KAL I notice that you were enquiring about that as well in a previous post just a few months ago.Why was that?

boeingdream787
3rd May 2008, 10:21
expat400,
Excellent post......!!!...:ok:.
And thx for the info that the rentals are indeed part of the salary itself and do not as such require the production of 'reciepts' as such. I assume that is correct.
Now is the same valid for the kids schooling allowances?? If my kids,both below 14 are for some time( until i settle down in Singapore say 6-8 months ie during my training ) schooling in my country of origin and I do have valid fee reciepts from their International Schools.Would I then be able to claim their schooling allowances from SIA. Just a thought. And from your previous posts you seem to be just the right man to ask...!! You look to be a very optimistic pilot who's obviously enjoying his tenure with SIA and his stay in Singapore. The kinds we like.....:D. Keep up the good work.
Thx in advance for the info.
Cheers now.

millerscourt
3rd May 2008, 12:38
boeingdream787

All school fees receipts are required otherwise no payments made by SIA.Doris will see to that and go through every receipt with a fine tooth comb.

Have you actually applied to SIA I wonder and what makes you think they would accept you?

I see in the past you applied to EK as a F/O and got rejected. You later said you met the requirements for EK as a DEC and you said you were in the EK holding pool. Are you still in it or have you drowned?

Later on again you said you applied to Etihad but had had no reply from them I wonder why that is??

From what I can tell you are a current B737 Captain. Nothing wrong in that as I was one once but until you have widebody international experience your options are more limiting.

Please keep us readers informed about your application to SIA as you have now had answers to every question under the sun possible from the likes of expat 400 and others.

expat400
3rd May 2008, 13:25
MC

How can my rent "make my salary look less"? 300000 is 300000 regardless of my rent. I pay approximately 25 % of my net salary for my accommodation. If you take a look at the world around you that is not considered excessive.

I have complained a lot about rostering and I stand by that. My first reply to you was in respect to your degrading comment on the remuneration in SIA and SIA Cargo.

Of course I will retire on day. That's why I invest about 20 % of my salary. The Singapore dollar fluctuates like most currencies (just look at the Pound over the last months) but I can't base my judgment on today's rate. You have to see it over time.

You personally want to keep your home in UK during your stay in Singapore. That's up to you but do you really think that the package should pay for two homes? And do you think it's the company's fault when currency fluctuations make that more difficult?

Why did I inquire about KAL? That's easy. IF I decide to move from Singapore I wouldn't sit on Pprune or in bars and complain about SIA not giving me the opportunity to commute. I'd find an employer that does.

Phil Squares
3rd May 2008, 14:08
Now is the same valid for the kids schooling allowances?? If my kids,both below 14 are for some time( until i settle down in Singapore say 6-8 months ie during my training ) schooling in my country of origin and I do have valid fee reciepts from their International Schools.Would I then be able to claim their schooling allowances from SIA.

Don't hold your breath until your children go to a school in Singapore you won't get any reimbursment at all. You're also on the hook for all the deposits and fees associated with the enrollment. In addition, only tuition is reimbursable. You will find the "hidden" fees overwhelming at some schools. That is if you can get into the first tier international schools.

millerscourt
3rd May 2008, 14:15
expat400

Oh dear we are getting touchy.

I said I was glad to hear you were happy where you are.

Nothing "degrading" about me being happy I am not there anymore.

PS

Expat packages used to include free accommodation and utilities but as T & C's go down they are becoming more rare. My first two expat positions did just that with 8 weeks leave as well.This mean't one could keep one's own home if required or to let out as personal circumstances dictate.

Still as you only get 4 weeks leave pa in Cargo and ID 90's not available for you I guess there is no point in keeping a home base available.

millerscourt
3rd May 2008, 14:25
Phil

Have they moved the goalposts re education allowance?

I got mine paid despite them being educated in the UK? That included University fees although they stopped at 21 and were pro rata'd to the exact date!!!

Expat400

You say you would not sit on pprune and complain about SIA. Blimey how can you say that?

You have complained about rostering going from bad to worse.
You have complained about lack of private life making a lot of people unhappy
You have complained about the amount of positioning in economy saying it is unsustainable
You have complained about the need for more vacation
You have complained about staff travel
You have said the job is only for bachelors (or you will become one)

The only thing you have not complained about on pprune ( unlike others) is the rental allowance being inadequate as you say you are happy to pay in excess ofS$6000 per month.

There is nothing else left to complain about I would have thought as you have exhausted and covered most points!

portquartercv67
4th May 2008, 08:35
While not discounting the fact that for most, compensation is probably the primary factor in evaluating a job, but is it the only one? What about working conditions: hours of service, roster stability, pilot input to roster, company attitude and treatment of crew, company training philosophy, engineering etc…These are the subjective issues about the job that unfortunately can not be evaluated until employed.

SIA’s training bond scheme is not primarily meant to prevent pilots from joining just to get a rating/type experience. It’s meant to keep you here once you find out the truth about the intangibles.

Reading all these posts would give credibility to the oft-said comment that most pilots are basically whores. They’ll do most anything as along as the money’s ok. Pity, as managements the world over are acutely aware of this as well.

PQ

fourgolds
4th May 2008, 10:55
Hi All
Just wandering if a loss of licence scheme is available to SQ pilots. Also given the bad press that companies like KAL are recieving about their training enviroment , can anyone please elaborate a little on what its like at SQ ( the training and checking enviroment) or is it also draconian like.
Also if anyone has left the sandpit for SQ in recent years please would you PM me , as I have a few questions.
Much obliged.

Phil Squares
4th May 2008, 11:36
Phil

Have they moved the goalposts re education allowance?

I got mine paid despite them being educated in the UK? That included University fees although they stopped at 21 and were pro rata'd to the exact date!!!

MC, the education allowance for people who came under that scheme is still the same. However, people joining now will only get the education allowance for children in school in SIN. Nothing for UNI either......

I do have to laugh though, it is cheaper for me to send my son to UNI (UEA) than it is to send him to school in SIN.

Cheers:ok:

expat400
4th May 2008, 12:39
MC

Have you really gone through all my posts on PPRune? Amazing...

"You have complained about rostering going from bad to worse.
You have complained about lack of private life making a lot of people unhappy"

Those two refer to rostering don't they? I stand behind that critique as said.

"You have complained about the amount of positioning in economy saying it is unsustainable"

Can't remember that. I have never felt that the paxing is a problem since I've mostly done it in First or Business. Which post are you referring to?

" You have complained about the need for more vacation"

I remember saying that mainline is better because they have more vacation but have I "complained about the need"? If I have, ok, but please show me where?

" You have complained about staff travel"

Of course! So have everyone in both SIA and SIA Cargo!

" You have said the job is only for bachelors (or you will become one)"

That one I remember. But you need to read more carefully. That comment was regarding a commuting contract in the Middle East with six weeks on two weeks off. Nothing to do with SIA Cargo.

"Expat packages used to include free accommodation and utilities but as T & C's go down they are becoming more rare. My first two expat positions did just that with 8 weeks leave as well.This mean't one could keep one's own home if required or to let out as personal circumstances dictate."

Yes, and the gas used to be 50 cent per gallon. You could have sex without getting HIV etc etc.

Maybe you should change your "I'm glad I'm not there" to "I'm glad I'm old enough to have experienced a different era".

Look around, the package in SIA or SIA Cargo is not a bad expat contract. Of course it cannot be compared with major airlines in Europe but on the other side you can't get a DEC position there so...

fourgolds
4th May 2008, 12:44
Gents
You hijacked my questions , anyone know about loss of licence and training culture at SQ , tks

boeingdream787
4th May 2008, 18:19
MC,
Seriously. u amaze me. Whats ur other pastime besides hacking into the pprune search engine 24x7 and lookin for contradictory threads from peeps who disagree with you on the forum...!!
Seriously tommy,u NEED a job......and while u're at it stop poppin those little white pills.....:\
Chill now bro....grab a cold one....

millerscourt
5th May 2008, 07:31
dreamer

Took me all of 15 minutes to have a look at you and expat 400's previous posts.

If you speak in the same schoolboy way you write I am not surprised that both EK and EY are not interested in your services. I very much doubt whether SIA will be either so keep on "dreaming" :rolleyes:

Expat400

Just wanted to see whether there was any substance to your pious statement that you would not sit on pprune and criticise SIA but I discovered otherwise:ugh:

expat400
5th May 2008, 12:53
MC

The 15 minutes was not enough as I showed you in all your mistakes regarding my earlier posts.

Don't bang your head to hard. It obviously make reading hard for you....

"and complain about SIA not giving me the opportunity to commute."

Did I say I'd never complain? How could I? I'm a pilot. We always complain. Just look at yourself...

millerscourt
7th May 2008, 11:26
expat400

Unlike you I did not make a "high and mighty" statement that I would not sit on pprune and complain which was what you did.

I take due note of your admission that you do so welcome to the club:ok:

Chambudzi
9th May 2008, 16:25
fourgolds- check your PMs as you arnt likely to get an answer here.

vbrules
16th May 2008, 03:56
Received interview invite for 777 DEC.
It said FOC ECONOMY airfare to Singapore but I have to pay for accommodation/medical/surcharges /taxes etc which is likely to be more than SGD1000.
Are they having a :mad::mad::mad: laugh????

millerscourt
16th May 2008, 05:32
vbrules

No they are not having a laugh. That has always been the way SIA play it for interviews and do not expect to get upgraded even if First or Business is empty.You need to be sure you want the job otherwise you are wasting your money.

Look at it another way you have a free ticket which for SIA is being uncommonly generous!! I would say S$1000 a little on the low side now with hotel costs.If you have not been to Singapore before I suggest you stay a few days longer to see what accommodation is like at the price you are prepared to pay.etc etc

chapola
16th May 2008, 11:37
Can anybody tell me what type one can expect to do their simulator evaluation on if one is being interviewed for A330? Does SIA still have their own 340 Sim?

PM me if you prefer.

appreciate the help,

Chapola

fullforward
16th May 2008, 17:37
Milles,

This SIA approach for interviewing 777 DECs is ridiculous. Who they think they are? The best job in earth?
Interesting to note that there are 10 ( I said ten) different operators currently recruiting B777 DECs...
You said well, not worth going unless you are a big SIA fan.

richard III
17th May 2008, 01:48
screening costs breakdown is as follows.
medical s$430
hotel s$600
ticket taxes and surcharges s$400
food and transport s$100 a day, =s$300,
beer is expensive
you do the math

portquartercv67
17th May 2008, 02:04
Why the indignation with interview costs and traveling in economy to the interview? You are willing to bring S$56,000 to Singapore upon joining for the bond, S$thousands!!! to move into an apartment and you know that when the company requires you to position on duty, it will be in economy. This is just a warm-up and a clue to what lies ahead.

Regards what type you do your interview sim check in? I did mine on the type I now fly, but I have heard that it can be done on anything. Just don't crash or push the wrong rudder on the V1 cut and you'll be fine. Remember, as long as you have the hours, the license AND THE MONEY, they will be happy with you.

I SAY AGAIN: "DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE I DID AND SIGN A BOND AGREEMENT".

expat400
17th May 2008, 02:08
Flyingtheline

Although your post is correct it's in the wrong thread. It's only us Cargo pilots doing these trips.

SIA mainline 777 is still a good job, lot's of hours, 14 days off and no positioning.

Cargo has had a couple of good years but the differences is starting to grow which is reflected in the rate of pilots leaving for browner pastures. (No, they never would allow us to apply for the mainline job).

Fullforward

They are the best, aren't they:eek:

expat400
17th May 2008, 09:16
Sorry FTL, wasn't updated on that one. :O

burnden
17th May 2008, 10:14
Can anyone tell us what rotation patterns the A330 fleet flies? As in do they do serious long-haul, or are they the more local flyers?

Cheers

B

fourgolds
17th May 2008, 11:05
Hey Fullforward.
Just out of interest who are the 10 operators looking for 777 Captains.
This is what I came up with.(11) ( please feel free to add more)

SQ
EK
V Australia
Vietnam
Jet
Air India
Qatar
Angola
Korean
Aseana
Lufthansa Cargo
( watch this space for the land of the rising sun with a pending requirement)

......and off course just wait ( be it a long one) for the 787 to come on line. Inspite of a seat like a John Deere tractor I think this is a promising rating !

Any more ?? just checking if I have my finger on the pulse.
Apolgees gents if its a thread divergence. I still fancy SE Asia La !

millerscourt
17th May 2008, 11:44
I have travelled in "charabangs" ie coaches which are far more comfortable than "economy" or "coach" (to those from the US). I think they should be renamed "steerage" which would reflect a more truer picture:ugh:

There has alway been a certain amount of positioning in mainline on longhaul flights where different numbers of crew are required due to sector times varying out compared to back so cheaper to position flight deck rather than pay them 100% of allowances whilst operating both ways when not required to do so legally.

vbrules
17th May 2008, 13:50
Surely Captains don't position/deadhead in economy do they???
Staff travel? Is that business/1st for Captains on SQ services?
Thanks

millerscourt
17th May 2008, 14:37
vbrules

You were not paying attention vb.!! I said before they (SIA) are not having a laugh. Captains do indeed position in Economy if no seats available in First or Business which is often the case.Great if all the way to the West Coast from SIN via SEL.HKG,TPE. You arrive feeling great.You usually have 48 hrs off to recover before operating back as the main Captain so you get to chose the bunk time.:D

fullforward
17th May 2008, 17:13
You're right, mate!
There's 11 operators chasing 777 drivers. I put 10 cause I don't regard KAL as doing a serious business on that (see appropriate thread some place around).
I had a good laugh on your comments over cockpit seat confort. I guess J.Deere's is more confy!
This is certainlly THE RATING.

Mentor_Minister
17th May 2008, 18:05
I don't want to be a spoil-sport but please could we let this thread remain an SIA thread and not an SIA CARGO thread!

I know there may be real "issues" with SIA CARGO but the conditions of employment for SIA CARGO are very different from SIA, even though they belong to the SIA GROUP, likewise SILKAIR.

So please, kind Sir's from SIA Cargo, don"t hijack and "Misinform" the people who are looking for some information about SIA!

Please let the Expat SIA 777 drivers inform us!
Thank You

huckleberry58
17th May 2008, 18:26
just to clarify the positioning thing, basically you get the best of what's available on the flight. if no first class then it's business, if no business then coach. that's how it goes. the loads are pretty good so on many flights we're relegated to coach.

hamil
18th May 2008, 02:07
just to clarify the positioning thing, basically you get the best of what's available on the flight. if no first class then it's business, if no business then coach. that's how it goes. the loads are pretty good so on many flights we're relegated to coach.

... funny, a typical management point of view. Actually crew members have positive space on economy (on assigned seats, except when passengers want those ones and consequently pilots are moved and seated anywhere inclusive on those between two passengers .... yes: no aisle or window). Upgrade only if there are/is seat(s) available on Raffles or First. However after changing First Class terminology on A380, now they are limited to C class when travelling on the big bus. Who knows if in the future they decide to give a new name to Raffles ... well, coach remains coach, even with a different designation.

portquartercv67
18th May 2008, 08:39
MENTOR MINISTER

You are correct about SIA mainline vs Cargo when it comes to rosters, scheduling, ALPA-S CA, monthly hours flown etc...

However I feel it is only fair to warn wannabees that there is NO DIFFERENCE in regards to the training bond arrangements should they not have the type/PIC hours, training facilites, positioning policy, medical care facilites, Singapore cost of living and most important; SIA's corporate culture and its impact on its pilots.

You guys have a better deal when it comes to your work rules, but the commonalities far exceed differences.

PQ

vbrules
18th May 2008, 11:45
PQ,
please confirm a bond required for type rated and experienced guys? Surely the bond is for type rating??
tks
(p.s. it aint looking good so far!)

Phil Squares
18th May 2008, 16:10
PQ,
please confirm a bond required for type rated and experienced guys? Surely the bond is for type rating??
tks
(p.s. it aint looking good so far!)

If you current and qualified, and your qualification is good through the end of training then there should be no bond. There needs to be acutual aircraft time, not just a base check and IR check.

However, if the CAAS says everything is ok with them, that doesn't mean SQ will agree with them. Read and re-read the contract and the bonding section with the utmost care. It is not something to take lightly!!!

fourgolds
18th May 2008, 16:53
Hi guys , sounds like a few more chillies have been added to the curry.

I dont mean to harp on this issue , but how flexible are SQ on the 3000 hr requirement ? I have emailed them but no response ( have not appied yet just enquiring , dont want to waste my time or theirs if I dont qualify)

2100 hrs of pic mix on 777 and A330 ??? does anyone know . I guess its the old supply and demand thing. Chambudzi you out there ? any idea,s from your management / recruitment chums ? would appreciate some feedback.

4PW's
18th May 2008, 19:16
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but you've got to either set your sights on someone else or hunker down until you've got the 3000. No, it's not a supply and demand thing. No, it's not 'you're not good enough' either. It is a requirement deemed appropriate because it's deemed appropriate. Patience, Grasshopper. It will come. :ok:

tflier
18th May 2008, 21:25
Can anyone advise me whether the SIA Cargo job is commutable from the UK, like at KAL? Have an interview shortly and would like to find out, as what I've trawled seems to be a bit vague on whether you can string your monthly days off allocation together. Many thanks in advance.

Chambudzi
18th May 2008, 23:50
4 holer knows the right stuff.
The requirement is 3000 hrs in command of a 767 or heavier/wider on International routes.
No the SIA cargo job is not commutable as far as the company is concerned but I think some are trying it on their own with little success.
Great Wall is allowing their guys to commute via their Amsterdam flight. You just walk onto the flight- no cost and dont be late for your next rostered trip
Burnden asked about what routes the A330 flies. The short answer is SIA doesnt have any A330s. Their arrival in 2009 will probably have them doing the short flights, Australia, India, SE Asia, Dacca and Colombo. The pilots already flying LA and NY on the A340 may be doing a CCQ to fly both types. There is presently an arguement over that. Most 340 pilots dont want to fly both types and there is some CAA reluctance.

fourgolds
19th May 2008, 06:12
Thanks gents. " Grant be patience but hurry ! "
Time will tell.

boeingdream787
19th May 2008, 09:35
Guys,
I keep hearing the same thing over n over again...."Don't sign the training bond". Or "re-read the fine print on the bond".
My q is WHEN EXACTLY do u get the training bond so that u can read it thoroughly and then either sign or otherwise.Just a thought....:)

millerscourt
19th May 2008, 12:06
dreamer

There is no real need to read the small print if you are happy to stay at SIA for the full term of the Bond. This means you may have to accept over a period of 5 years from being checked out large changes in the T & C's such as increased rentals without a worthwhile increase in the allowance, currency changes not in your favour, perhaps no bonus in some years, perhaps no service increments, perhaps large increases in school fees etc etc

It will cost you dear to leave before the Bond is up. That is all those people who say read the small print are getting at.

One also has to wonder as Expat400 has already suggested whether a B744 rating will be worth the paper it is printed on in 5+ years time.Perhaps that should also be a consideration to those thinking of SIA Cargo unless they are quite old.

goma
19th May 2008, 12:53
MC- whilst I respect your point of view i do not agree that a 747-400 ticket will not be worth the paper its written on in the future.

Take a look at the Classic,DC8,B707,A300 etc to name abut a few and they have been soldiering on for years in the freight market!!

Believe me I should know!!!,anyhow keep up your posts its all good gen,

Brgds Goma:ok:

ULH Extreme
20th May 2008, 00:50
I know of several guys who joined SQ mainline with only small jet time and some with less than 3000Pic. So keep at im if you really want the job, ring your Sq lady at the brick wall, every day,ask to speak to a pilot in recruiting, drive em up the wall with persistance, it works, believe me. Towards the end of the year we will be screaming for A330 drivers, unless fuel prices continue upwards, we bin the A345, bingo, instant A330 drivers.

MC, i have to agree with you on the B744. We only have them now because of the A380 delay. Someone do the figures for the Kg cost asross the Pac. in a 744F versus the hold of a shiney new A360XWB or B787 which can carry lots and go a long way. Old 777s and 330s will be converted and do the job, even new ones. bye bye 747 at $200/barrel.

Captain Daisy
25th May 2008, 20:24
Hi guys, I know the question has been asked before about commuting to Singapore and BananasBananas remarked:

I believe some guys commute from KL, Penang etc and don't have too many problems. You just need a mate in SIN with a spare room so you can cover your stand by duties etc.

I would like to live with my Thai partner in Bangkok and commute to Singapore. As there are many flights between the cities I think it is doable, only a longer commute.

Is there anybody with experience or reflection on this?

Thanks,
Daisy

GoForIt
25th May 2008, 23:41
While we're on the subject, does anyone commute from Bali? Is it doable?

GoForIt

Clipper7332
26th May 2008, 16:46
Hello:

I have a interview next month for DEC B777. Does anyone have any information on the interview, medical and Sim Evaluation.

Thanks

N118KA
26th May 2008, 17:55
Though there are about 20 flights a day from Bangkok, you will have to do what bananas-bananas suggests.

Bali, would be a little more challenging.

raklameen
27th May 2008, 05:38
Dear Capt. Bee
a salary of 210000pa works out to 17500 pm.
Does it mean that one takes home this amount & nothing more? Would other alolowances also add up to the same?
Have also heard, current pilots getting a better pay than this one.
Could any1 plz help me with this?
thanks and regards:hmm:

stable approach
27th May 2008, 08:32
Clipper 7332
Check your PMs.

boeingdream787
27th May 2008, 10:34
Hey Raklameen
Very valid question.....I'm pretty sure we'd all be interested in the reply.....
Cheers....

Capt.Bee
28th May 2008, 05:09
raklameen ,yes 17500 is more or les your monthly salary. On top of this $3900 housing allowance,plus bonus(no guarantee), 13th salary, annual variable components(no guarantee), annual completion bonus (payable after completion of your 5 year term - $50 000 or 10 000 annually,instead of CPF), education allowance, share options + one of the best mates I've ever met down the road. For the last 2 years average $345 000, before tax and didn't claim education allowance, without year completion bonus and no share options. Taxes at approx. 10% for the first 5 years. Hope it helps. Regards.
P.S. I love the place and am happy here. For the 2 COPs monthly is damn good. It's my two cents though ! The happiness is state of the mind and it's up to everyone to make peace with himself. Money's not everything, but is's good to have. :) :ok:

hilrtougi
6th Jun 2008, 20:11
erm, y r so many of u guys so mindful of your salaries? isn't it all for the love of flying that u guys became pilots. I m pretty sure SIA wont pay u peanuts when u fly with them.
lookin at all the comments, i wonder if i wld be so money-minded when i do become a pilot..

Static in the Attic
6th Jun 2008, 23:40
Hil, not sure of your age but your first major grasp will be to get one of written language. Your posting creates an appalling impression - whatever you may think. Start sharpening up on your communication skills / grammar now; it is of paramount importance to the job. Any prospective employer would run a mile if your CV were filled out in this way. Good luck

fourgolds
7th Jun 2008, 11:09
Hey Hil
Pilots " love of flying"
Same as a Doctors " love of medicine"
or An Engineers "love of Engineering"
or an Airline Managers " love of management"

you are a professional and deserve a professional wage. You will see that 90% of the time we are probably a little overpaid , but believe me that remaining 10% could justify a life times earnings in a month ! You also have to consider how uniquely qualified you will be. Should you loose your " profession" one day due to illlness or other reason you are not really qualified to do anything else. The long term effects on your health also demand compensation as your life expectancy will be less than the average human. I do like the innocence of your passion to fly though.

Sorry to have a thread creep here. Where were we ....

SlimShadey
7th Jun 2008, 18:14
Hil,

Haven't you heard " Money talk, and bull**** walks.."

rocketman110
11th Jun 2008, 18:26
Hi all,thinking about possibly applying for 777 capt,can someone please send me details of the interview/sim ride etc,also do they expect a letter of resignation from present employer and or will they except a leave of absence of 2+ years? Thanks in advance

Clipper7332
11th Jun 2008, 22:09
Can any one tell me how long is the training course for the DEC 777.

Thanks

ll1011
14th Jun 2008, 00:01
Is there anybody out there, who could please advise those of us who have interviews coming up. ie; the interview itself, sim check profile,
any knowledge test etc. I appreciate all the information so far, but
first we need to make it through. Thanks a lot.

Fly3
15th Jun 2008, 09:12
I think the search function might answer all your questions.

777driver06
20th Jun 2008, 18:41
This question has been asked many times in this thread and I'm not sure why it hasn't been answered, so here goes. I finished the process a couple of weeks ago and all I can say is -professional, professional, professional! Right from the start of the day, I was treated with respect and everyone that I came in contact with helped me through the process. (much unlike the K** mess) The two day interview/sim/medical is a pass/fail process. You start with an interview - not rocket science - just a get to know you type of interview that establishes that you have the experience that you say you have. Passing that, you proceed to the simulator. Yes, you will use what ever sim that is available! They are not looking for type specific skills, just that you can actually fly a heavy commercial airplane and perform like a Captain. We actually got the 340! After a few minutes of explanation on how to operate a side stick, we proceeded with the profile. Standard stuff; normal take off, inst app, engine fail t/o, eng out app, visual xwind app. The difference at SQ is that you actually get feed back on your progress through their process and are always treated with the upmost respect. (once again much unlike the secret society at K**) After the sim ride the evaluator tells you on the spot how you did. You then meet with admin to complete all of the paperwork that you started in the morning. The second day is the physical. Not quite ther NASA physical, but it is thorough. Again the staff at the clinic is very helpful and will help you get it done. One fellow had an elevated (white coat) blood pressure. They gave him a dark room to relax in and later he passed. I hope this ramble is helpful. The big difference that I found at SQ, is that they actually act like they need crew members and that they want you! This is not my first rodeo, so I feel that I am very qualified to state that this is the most professional interview process that I have ever attended. I have been offered a class date, but I have not decided whether to leave my present position yet, so I have no axe to grind - just the facts as I saw them. I hope this is helpful.

point8six
20th Jun 2008, 19:42
777driver06 - an accurate guide at last! The fact that SQ have invited you to attend the selection process, is an indication that they have assessed you as potentially fitting their requirements. The process is then a formality for you to prove that your experience, health and piloting skills are indeed as claimed and to the standard required.
I enjoyed my time with SQ and found them to be a well-structured company and honourable as well.
There are many who claim otherwise, but that is my opinion.
There are also many who enquire, but fall well short of the minimum qualifications, but are more interested in the "cash-in-hand" tales. Time wasters!

kk pilot
20th Jun 2008, 20:02
In my opinion, easily the best company to work for in Asia. The real eye opener will occur when you encounter the lifestyle costs. Be ready. :eek:

777driver06
20th Jun 2008, 21:19
point8six - agreed, if the people I came in contact with are any indication, then I would believe it will be an excellent place to hang my hat. I flew SQ to and from Singapore and after spending the last 20+ years flying for and on a US major carrier, all I can say is OH....MY....GOD!!! What have I been missing?

kkpilot - I have spent many layovers in Singapore over the last few years. I have seen the increased cost of living as a visiter. To actually live there and experience it first hand will certainly have more of an impact than I can imagine I'm sure. The raise in housing to 3900 with no receipts required will help. The 1400 per child in education (anywhere in the world - with receipts) will also help, but we are going over the numbers now to see if the adventure out ways the cost! Not for everyone, for sure, but my wife and I feel it is probably a great career move for us.:ok::ok:

point8six
21st Jun 2008, 07:23
Best wishes for your move and I hope you will enjoy the whole experience.:ok:

kk pilot
21st Jun 2008, 15:16
It all looks good at first glance - however, east is east and west is west - that's where the rub will lie. 5 years is a long time to be away in a different culture - and it is very different culture in many ways

As far as that $1400/mo - there are many "details" that wil deduct from that amount. Count on about $12k - $13k (sing dollars) max/yr for a $30k school bill for EACH child at most any private school. $3900/mo won't get you much either if you wish to be in the more popular expat areas - more like $5k - $7k/mo.

Don't come to Singapore all starry-eyed or you will regret it. There are many, many positives - but the few (large) negatives can ruin it all over an extended period of time. There is a reason there are so few Americans left at SQ and it is mainly due to those negatives that weigh more and more as time passes. These issues, as mentioned, are mostly cultural issues and they can and will eventually undermine everything if you let them.

boeingdream787
22nd Jun 2008, 13:56
Still wondering,when exactly did the housing allowance get raised to 3900sd...?? Not that i don't believe u,but still.....:confused:. IF that's the case its great news.Cause almost everybody coming in obviously needs accomodation.And reciepts are really not a necessity.Considering that an East Coast Road district 3bhk apartment can easily cost you north of 4k.And its not easy to come by in SIN either.
The 1400sd education allowance is great news.The fact that it really does'nt need you to prove that you are educating your kid is good news. Not really rocket science.Wherever in the world this may be.
All in all,pretty good news this.Just hope the inflation figures keep pace with the salaries........or is it vice versa......;).

EL CAPITAN
22nd Jun 2008, 15:55
Dreamer 787, have you attended the interview yet?? Keep us posted on any other news if you go soon...take care..The Capt..:ok:

boeingdream787
23rd Jun 2008, 15:42
Wilco EL CAPITAN......:)
Cheers now....

chapola
23rd Jun 2008, 16:53
Base pay is advertised as $9300-$15300. Are there yearly increments to bring you up to $15300? How much per year?

thanks again to all for the helpful intel,

Chapola

millerscourt
24th Jun 2008, 14:08
Chapola When I joined SQ I was led to believe service increments were 6% each year. It never hapened as the small print gave SQ the right to change things according to events such as they saw fit.

El Capitan I doubt if SQ would be interested in "the dreamer" as there are far more qualified Pilots about than him. Rents on the East Coast have been north of 4k for a while. Try 6k

777driver06
24th Jun 2008, 19:00
Dreamer - Who are you?!? I've been reading your posts since before I even applied at SQ. I have applied, been to the interview, offered a class date and you are still on the fence and posting about SQ. I hope that others on this thread who are actually seeking info on the process and job (as I was) will read through some of your posts. I said 3900 because I was given a piece of paper with the complete breakdown. Now whether you believe it or not is totally irrelevant. I am reporting what I know to those who are truly seeking information and possible employment. Can we all hope that this thread will be used to both; state the facts as we (those who have put themselves out there and applied) know, and to find out what we don't know? PS I am still looking for the small print that I keep reading about. The contract that I have received is very clear with no mention of a particular percentage boost at any time. It may not be the best out there, but it is very clear. I realize that this may be a change, but that is the way that I read it in the present.

The housing situation is both high and normal depending on the location. I have seen 2 bd condos and apartments ranging from 2700 - 12000. Having a college student who will stay at home is a big plus for us. I'm not sure how a family with middle or high school children can make it, but I have met a couple of pilots who have placed their kid's names on the waiting lists and say it will work. By the way, as I said in a previous post, the 1400 per student, limited to two, does require receipts. The housing does not. If anyone reading this really wants to know more about the process that I went through and is interested in the facts as I know them, drop me a line.

millerscourt
24th Jun 2008, 21:13
777 He is dreamer by name dreamer by nature. I gave up answering any of his questions ages ago for that very reason.

He reminds me a bit of bound_for_ dubai on the ME Forum a year or so ago.He turned out to be some school kid in Canada!!:=

777driver06
24th Jun 2008, 22:00
mc: I figured that's what we have here. My best on your new gig! I'll keep posting if I take the job. I figure that good or bad, the truth is what pilots need to make the right moves in a really crappy world economy. All of the other dribble is exactly that. Cheers!:cool:

boeingdream787
25th Jun 2008, 13:04
Well thanks MC.
At least you made me smile.....:ok:

boeingdream787
25th Jun 2008, 15:44
777 driver,
The ALPA-S agreement ( my colleague's copy ) clearly states house rental assistance ranging from 2,700 sd upto a MAXIMUM of 3,500 sd PM will be paid by the company. And there is no mention of 'no reciepts'. Don't mind my asking but where exactly did you get these (optimistic) figures from! Not that I mind the extras,but just like to know that I AM getting them.....:O
Thx for your info.
Cheers now......:ok:

Capt.Bee
25th Jun 2008, 20:14
"but just like to know that I AM getting them....."
Dreamer you are extremely annoying and going nowhere, so you don't need them.....Keep on dreaming........... :bored:

777driver06
25th Jun 2008, 22:21
Capt Bee - Well said!
Dreamer - Last statement on this issue from me, as I said anyone that wants to know more about the process and actual offer pm me to keep those who would interfere out of the mix. Now dreamer, to answer your latest question - When you become a pilot, if you are not one now, you will come in contact with people who will always refer to an outside source to try to resolve a dispute. This is a classic ploy that, when you learn CRM, you will be taught to deal with in the cockpit regardless of your current seat assignment. I say this so that you can understand that to quote an outside source that you may or may not have access to does not impress very many pilots. If you do have access to this ALPA-S document, it is obviously, at least to most, outdated information. Remember, I already stated that this is the figure on the contract that I was given to peruse less than two weeks ago. Now this is the second time that you have questioned my integrety and you are getting a little boring. Apply, go to the interview, then make intellegent, informed statements on this site.:ugh:

Clipper7332
26th Jun 2008, 01:08
Can anyone tell me how many days off we get on the 777 and how many in a row.

Thanks

EL CAPITAN
26th Jun 2008, 05:57
Anual variable component and the other variable component was not mentioned in the contract given to me during the interview,it says though that those are general terms and the more specific ones will be on the final draft of the contract, does anybody hired recently (last 2 months) have this variables components in their contract??Thanks The Capt..:ok:

boeingdream787
26th Jun 2008, 16:40
777 driver,
At no point did i intend to or was making any effort to doubt your integrity.I was merely stating a contradictory point which you brought up and which I'd like clarified.No need to lose your knickers or get personal son.
As far as the ALPA-S doc being "outdated" is concerned....well wait till you join up.And then we'll have your lil chat!( not that i'd want to, with the bad mouth that your swollen head carries....).
The 'little scrap of paper' that you were handed during your interview with the apparent breakdown is probably the only piece of outdated information that there is (if any...!! SQ does'nt hand you ANY outdated info EVER ).And even on that, the figure you're quoting from your pocket book seems magically absent.
Or then maybe you're on the "enhanced expat house rent assistance scheme"......:ugh::ugh:.The one with the really special walls. Padded!!
In which case,I apologise for my insolence your majesty.Now go back and take those lil pink pills....:mad:

EL CAPITAN
26th Jun 2008, 18:47
777 driver is right, the housing allowance has been increased to 3900s$....Anybody out there with an answer to the variable components??cheers..The Capt:ok:

Ttree Ttrimmer
26th Jun 2008, 21:08
The draft contract I was given at the interview includes MVC but not the AVC. It contains a caveat about should the company's performance not meet expectations, it can be varied.

777driver06
26th Jun 2008, 23:01
EL CAPITAN - Thanks - I guess I touched a nerve - he (or she) kind of lost it!!! TT is right the draft does not contain the AVC. Thanks to all who have PM'd me concerning info on SQ. I hope we can all keep it real on this forum for those who are actually seeking information.

ddsilva
26th Jun 2008, 23:27
If one receives a regret to inform you letter, does that mean the possibility of re applying at a later stage does not exist. Can some one throw some light on this one please.

EL CAPITAN
27th Jun 2008, 03:02
DDsilva what did they tell you during the interview??? you usually know the same day, right after the sim ride..The capt.:ok:

Orangputi
27th Jun 2008, 07:16
Hi Static,

I thought you said in the Brunei Airlines thread that only current employees should comment and how it is sad that ex-employees cant let go!

What are you doing in this thread making a goose of yourself you absolute hypocrite????

You sir should get a life!!!!

Ndicho Moja
1st Jul 2008, 01:06
Have there been any interviews for the 330 and if so has SIA produced any terms and conditions for the 330?

burnden
1st Jul 2008, 09:42
NM. I was interviewed early June for the A330. No specific Ts&Cs for the 330, but some for the 777 were given as a 'guide' to what to expect.

hilrtougi
4th Jul 2008, 20:39
if i were to be filling out my resume, i would definitely be typing in fully spelt out words, but this is the internet.

portquartercv67
11th Jul 2008, 09:14
I am happy for all that are excited about coming to work for SIA, but don't completely ignore the negative info posted on this forum and blow-off the pilots expressing those opinions as just a bunch of malcontents that wouldn't be happy anywhere. KKpilot has good advice. Listen to everything, not just what you want to hear.

And remember, Kool-Aid in Singapore is served free of charge.

PQ

PS: would be interested to know if those that are chomping at the bit to come to SIA are already rated with command hours on 777/A-330 or will you be signing a training bond and if so, how much is the bank guarantee and the total amount of the bond these days? I assume that's also in the fine print along with all the info about your proposed compensation?

richard III
7th Aug 2008, 21:36
Hi everyone:
I have studied thoroughly the T&C'S and I am quite convinced that the 777 contract is one of the best ones in the market, however I am kind of tight on the course dates offered to me. Can anyone shed some light on when would the 777 program end, meaning when will the last course be given.
I would appreciate any info on the matter

parabellum
8th Aug 2008, 00:54
Don't chance your luck Richard, SIA will simply give your slot to someone else and forget about you, classified 'uncoperative'! Believe me.

Capt.Bee
8th Aug 2008, 04:56
Myself rejected two slots,got the third one. Kept the channel open and lots of talking. But! -the nice guy is not there any more. So, think twice if you really like the job. Parabellum is absolutly right. Not too much of a need for 777 Capts, and if you delay your acceptance date, will end up on the A330 list. Skip the vacation bro and hop on board! I know the wife,the kids,the mistress, all will be mad, but better them than you. :) Happy flights!

chapola
8th Aug 2008, 15:35
and if you delay your acceptance date, will end up on the A330 list.

Capt. Bee (or anyone else that might know the reasoning behind this comment), can you please elaborate; what is the problem with being on the 330 list?

Many thanks,

millerscourt
8th Aug 2008, 15:59
chapola

Just a guess as I am no longer with SQ but suspect A330 lower salary than B777? shorter sectors therefore chance of making overtime harder, less nightstops = less allowances and I believe A330 has not even arrived yet.

As parabellum rightly says if you get offered a position and you want it don't delay as you may never hear from them again.

Capt.Bee
9th Aug 2008, 09:43
Nothing's wrong with 330. 777,330,345 same salary. Just if you prefer 777, there will be no slots and than you have to go 330. You won't have a choice, that's it.A330 will fly Japan and OZ flights. :ok:

millerscourt
9th Aug 2008, 13:11
chapola

In view of what Capt.Bee says the A330 sounds like a good fleet to be on after all with just Japan and Australia flights. Both are night stops and there should therefore be no positioning flights as happens on long haul flights on the B777 which often require different crew numbers on sectors out/back. Positioning around the world is a pain IMHO even when in First Class.

Also who knows perhaps a chance to go on the A345?? or even the A380????

kk pilot
9th Aug 2008, 14:19
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but.... when I was up on the 4th floor just prior to leaving on holiday a couple of weeks ago, I was told that new 777 DEC's are not going to happen any time soon. I am not at all sure how accurate that info is, but that's what I was told by the guys/gals in that department. As far as I am aware, with the exception of a few Silk guys and a few 747-400 transitions, the most recent DEC to start the 777 course was nearly 3 years ago (me....). Command course upgrades are still covering the need I guess but I really don't know for sure.

condorbaaz
11th Aug 2008, 11:46
any possibility of a copy of the CA for A330/777

kenbus
15th Aug 2008, 18:36
hello guys just wondering if any of you heard back about the A330 delivery ,or hiring schedule or C.A?
thks in advance

teeepee
15th Aug 2008, 19:31
Hi guys any info re where to send resume and whats the age requirement? will greatly appreciate where to send resume thanks

Taikonaut
20th Sep 2008, 10:38
This has got to be one of the most informative threads on PPRUNE with practically all of the questions answered. Thanks everyone.

One more to add if anyone care to comment. What would the commuting scheme be like if you were to live in KL, PNG or BKK.

Thanks again.

EL CAPITAN
20th Sep 2008, 16:48
Conmuting to any of those places is feasible since those are pretty close , but not recommended Singapore is your home base, and you would have to let the company know when you leave. Don't know about the 330, but there have been about 20 new DECs on the 777 hired over the last 3 months, apparently a few more that already have done the interview and that's about it, then it is all 330, hope it helps...

kk pilot
21st Sep 2008, 02:59
agreed - have heard that there are finally some new DEC's in the works after a rather long absence - but didn't know there were as many as 20. I would imagine the door will be closing soon with those numbers

777driver06
29th Sep 2008, 08:07
El Capitan is right, I counted around twenty with a couple more starting this week. The direct word from SQ is that due to world economic situation, boeing strike, etc hiring plans have change dramatically lately. If you have been offered a slot and want to work here, don't delay. If some of the folks who don't like it at SQ would head for the sand pit maybe some additional slots will open up!:ok:

Ndicho Moja
11th Oct 2008, 05:31
In light of the world wide financial crisis, Singapore admitting that it is now "technically" in a recession and the adjustment of the Singapore dollar, would it not be fair to say that, if you have not signed a contract, for those that have had successful interviews the chances of being called up this time are less than slim?

ULH Extreme
11th Oct 2008, 09:38
Correct. No more hiring until further notice

Che Xindamail
12th Oct 2008, 03:00
Does this mean that the planned A330 courses have been canceled?

ULH Extreme
13th Oct 2008, 02:24
Yes No more hiring , maybe a culling.

ll1011
17th Oct 2008, 04:59
I keep hearing this is the best Airline in the world, is it just me or any one else is experiencing what I am experiencing. I was accepted and told I'll
be in A-330 class, I need to give my notice just about now to make the
proposed class. I have not yet received their offer letter and have written a letter, have emailed to couple of different people, who were involved in the hiring process. I have called the numbers that I have and nobody ever picks up the phone. can somebody please tell me whats going on, I am just about to give up hopes of working for"the world's best airline".that
would specially piss me off after having to take time off from work and give up pay to make it to the interview, pay for the hotel and even medical exams. I wish they would atleast have the courtesy of not
hanging guys like me up in the air, as I have been seriously planning for this.

Ndicho Moja
17th Oct 2008, 06:23
No, it is not just you. I know of a few that have been told " Welcome, we will write to you." Despite many emails, no replies. Too bad.

lepremier
17th Oct 2008, 07:31
IMHO it still is the best expat job around, all things taken into cosideration....
but right now things have suddenly gone from a crew deficit to a surplus due to various flights being pulled. On the 777 there are about 35 Capts too many at the moment. I doubt whether there will be a culling as quoted but more likely contracts will not be extended as they come around for renewal.
I would certainly be VERY CAREFUL about giving notice in at your present job, even if you have a letter of intent from here. That happened to a friend of mine back in the Sars day's, he was cancelled just as he was about to set off out here. It will turn around for sure, tho' it might take a while this time.

kk pilot
18th Oct 2008, 01:14
I had all of a week to show up after their e-mail said to "come on down"....

Don't expect them to comply with the norm and keep you informed of anything - they hold all the cards for now and won't hesitate to keep you on ice until they need you. Apparently there are surpluses - very dangerous ground to leave your current job without that e-mail. Just my opinion

boeingdream787
19th Oct 2008, 06:55
Singapore Airlines,as a rule does not "cull" its employees.Last of all its pilots.
As a matter of fact even during the Sars episode,when push came to shove,all employees voluntarily took a paycut(ranging from 8% upto 20%) for upto 3 months.All this just to enable the SIA managment to retain their own not so lucky bretheren,who may have otherwise faced a layoff!
And by the way,this paycut was the brainchild of the managment and wholly agreed upon by all employees.
So if your employment letters are delayed fellas,hang in there.Cause they sure as hell are facing an uphill task here.And things will only get better.As they always have.And once that happens the hiring process shall recommence.
Also just FYI,the paycuts that the employees took were returned to each and every one.With interest!
I reckon this should tell a story for you.....:ok:

fatbus
19th Oct 2008, 08:49
Quick ? for SIA guys. Will the 330 pay be less than the 777, since the 380 is a bit higher than the 744. What is the lastest on MFF 333/345? Thanks.

ULH Extreme
19th Oct 2008, 09:59
Boeing Dreamer, Have you forgotten the 26 culled during SARS ? Have you forgotten the LHR and SYD based 747 guys who were laid off ? Right now, anyone over 57 who's contract is due, better start packing.

Also no hiring for the 330 and no MFF, at the mo, that's the the plan till mid 09.:sad:

EL CAPITAN
19th Oct 2008, 20:21
I know first hand a Cap. age 57 who has just been transfered to the 777 and given a new contract...The Capt:ok:

boeingdream787
20th Oct 2008, 10:52
Well ULH,
Why 57 and not 56....?? What kind of talk is this.Are you the authority regulating the cutting off age or are u just guessing too like the rest of us.
While i appreciate your opinion,we would much appreciate if you could kindly reinstate that THIS IS YOUR OPINION.And not a SIA policy.....
That said........thanks for your inputs.
Cheers now......

ULH Extreme
20th Oct 2008, 17:03
Here's the facts.
You must be able to return 3 yrs of service for a conversion. Hence the man at 57 ,who was in SQ at the time ,was given one, they sometimes give small favours, and it's been done before. He has been here along time.
60 is the retiring age. So you will not be hired if your 57+.
If all the stars are aligned when you get to 60, they might offer you a contract untill your62..
This is SIA Policy ok

ps no one took a voluntary paycut, wot planet are you on?
Fatbus- we're not hiring for info pay the same

fatbus
20th Oct 2008, 17:41
ULH , Thanks, future planning maybe

overmars
21st Oct 2008, 01:44
To add on to ULH, some of the guys who were given contracts to fly beyond 60 were sent to Cargo. Although, I think now, they still keep them on the main fleet after 60 years of age. Shame, we got some good people who came over to freight hauling.

Flaperon777
6th Nov 2008, 09:50
Can anyone tell me if SIA is still recruiting DEC's.Or have they completely stalled the programme for the time being as i've heard.This is for 777 OR 330 DEC's.
Thx.

Transition Level
6th Nov 2008, 15:25
Only the guys that have already received Job Offers will be recruited for the foreseeable future. They will be moving pilots from 777 to A 330 instead of taking DEC's for the Airbuses.

kenbus
8th Nov 2008, 11:31
HI T.L
there are some who are type rated and have successfully been interviewed but not yet offered anything so they are neither here nor there. any news on them? :rolleyes:

kk pilot
9th Nov 2008, 00:41
I interviewed "successfully" in April '05 and didn't hear anything until I got the green light in late December. That was three years ago and I had the luxury of being able to wait it out. IMO, if you are in a hurry, maybe better to look elsewhere. The hiring process at SIA can be very slow and deliberate after the interview and today's economic environment is terrible compared to three years ago. If you listen to rumors, things are going in reverse here growth wise with possible unpaid leave (I personally don't believe that one....).

Chambudzi
9th Nov 2008, 09:31
The window of recruitment for DECs in 2008 was brief and has been firmly closed now. As with every downturn, SIA has battened down the hatches and aims to spend time upgrading all older planes with the latest space seats and cabin improvements or parking them in the desert so that when the graphs finally turn around we are hopefully the last ones standing and fighting fit. The fuel price has affected everyone and the looming world recession affects every airline,s bottom line but the low cost competitors are hurting the most and there will be a lot more washing out of the system for the less strong companies before the end is in sight. I believe SIA will survive as before and emerge stronger than ever.
Hoever, I reckon it will be a long time before any expat is recruited again into this company but those few who managed to slip in during the brief 2008 window will have a safe job and will be welcomed to the family.

Flaperon777
10th Nov 2008, 08:03
I would agree ONE HUNDRED PERCENT with chambudzi...........absolutely 100%.....!! No more recruitment for the time being but 'ALL IN' will be honoured as is the practice with SIA and in this part of asia.All in at this point and time ARE, AND WILL be safe and here for good....!!
No more recruitment for at least another 18 months is what I hear.
Those in the midst of the recruitment process may suffer a little.As would be anywhere else in the world......
Very very sensible company is SIA is what I hear.They definitely know their assets AND their liabilities.....!! And the vastly experienced,wholly knowledgeable expat commander is quite surely the biggest asset they have at present and can count on in the near future when the the turbulent air smoothens out.Because when that happens(and it will),u can bet your last dollar that there will be a scramble by airlines for the experienced pilot.Which unfortunately may not be around for the picking cause you let him go in the first place!!
This is where SIA is playing smart and is retaining the experienced ,trained(maybe even expat) captain but probably may let go of some potential retirees or even brand new FO's.
Keep the hired hands but let go of the old ones seems to be the mantra here.
Lets see....

Fly3
12th Nov 2008, 03:04
Am in Singapore now and it would appear that SIA are battening down the hatches so to speak. I met one expat, age 51 who has been told that his contract is not being renewed and another coming up to age 60 who is not being offered the extension to age 62 as has been the norm up to now. It has been rumoured that up to around 70 expats will not have their contracts renewed in the coming months so the chances of recruitment would appear to be slim at the very best for the time being.