PDA

View Full Version : Visit to EGLL twr/rad

R22 HEAVY
18th Feb 2008, 21:25
Dear Ladies & Gentlemen

As a rated UK commercial helicopter pilot flying in your airspace, my wife would like to change her career to that of an ATC. She has done some research on the post via NATS, I was wandering if it would be possible to get an invite to EGLL twr for her (good excuse and me) to witness the masters in action.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Regards

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Feb 2008, 07:18
I'm sure someone will respond... but just a small point. EGLL "Rad" is not at the tower any more; it's been part of London Terminal Control for about 15 years and now resides at the seaside near Swanwick. It therefore depends what you and your wife want to see - planes or radar..

PS I just love your PPrune handle. When I was in the job R22s were commonly referred to as strimmers!!! :-))

Skijumper27
19th Feb 2008, 09:04
Also getting into the New EGLL TWR is a nightmare!! Security is the problem as the TWR is now airside!!! But I'm sure the Heathrow guys/gurls will be able to give better info.

The new TC ops room at Swanwick is quite nice.

chevvron
19th Feb 2008, 16:39
Seaside Bren? Have you been there? I went recently for the first and hopefully last time; it's on the site of an old brickworks well inland!!(but near the River Hamble - some people say if the Hamble floods they'll be in trouble!)
Course if Mr & Mrs R22 Heavy want to see radar, they need only travel to north east Hampshire to a place not a stone's throw from Napoleon 111's mausoleum; they've probably spoken to us anyway.

Gonzo
19th Feb 2008, 18:13
Yes, I'm afraid that non-ops visitors to witness the masters in action (you get brownie points for that little gem! :E) are not really feasible now, due to the security. :(

Greg_ATCO
19th Feb 2008, 18:17
Gonzo...your a big spoil sport!!! Ha

Gonzo
19th Feb 2008, 18:51
Oh, I'd love to be able to accommodate, but it means getting from the new tower to landside to meet the visitors (up to 30 minutes), and then, assuming it's office hours, going to our old tower to sort out the application paperwork (another 20 minutes), and then going to the BAA ID centre and waiting for them to complete the airside pass process (another hour), and then getting from the ID centre to airside new tower (another 40 minutes, maybe more if security is busy).

If I'm working in the tower on shift, I get a half hour break.

If I'm working in the office, that means eating up to 2.5 hours of my day just in collecting visitors, and my inbox pile is getting taller by the minute. All my colleagues in the offices here are equally busy, so I can't really ask them to relinquish up to 2.5 hours of their day either.

chevvron
19th Feb 2008, 19:03
Do you realise if the Napoleon Mausoleum wasn't there, we'd be able to see each other's towers?
NB: there's an obelisk in Camberley which was set up to communicate with Dashwood's place at West Wycombe, so the above isn't out of the question.

viaEGLL
20th Feb 2008, 15:48
R22 ;

Pm me and i will arrange a visit to swanwick so you can see REAL MASTERS AT WORK:cool::cool: where you can't say hold position:E:E:E

Gonzo
20th Feb 2008, 15:52
It's really all too easy sometimes....... :}:E

NW3
25th Feb 2008, 20:18
Hello all,

Just wondering if a LHR Tower controller could PM me - starting to operate out of LHR soon, and just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Many thanks

NW3

Gonzo
25th Feb 2008, 20:27
Check your PMs!

Point Seven
28th Feb 2008, 11:21
If I'm working in the office, that means eating up to 2.5 hours of my day just in collecting visitors, and my inbox pile is getting taller by the minute.

Gonzo

You don't know how much pleasure it gives me to see you posting that on here...;)

P7

AlanM
28th Feb 2008, 11:46
Gonzo, you need a DWM to give you more work if you can spend up to 2.5 hrs per day eating....... (or come and sit on Tinpot!)

Gonzo
28th Feb 2008, 17:50
Alan, I use up at least 25 seconds each Ops day by walking to the microwave. every day, you think I have time to do a liaison visit to Thames Wasters???:cool:

Dear P7, actually I only have one item in my inbox en ce moment. Efficiency dear boy, efficiency (also wearing an iPod so I can drown out the noise behind me! :E)

chevvron
28th Feb 2008, 19:25
It would seem access to the CTB at Heathrow has been streamlined recently.

Maskedhedgehog
29th Feb 2008, 12:12
masters in action ... it's more like a sausage factory
TMA north are the masters ...

Bright-Ling
29th Feb 2008, 14:08
Master Baters more like......... :D