PDA

View Full Version : Wind driven turbo genertor

LowNSlow
18th Feb 2008, 15:58
I'm sure there is somebody in Ppruneland who has fitted one of these multibladed 5" diameter gennys to their Cub/Taylorcraft/Champ etc etc.

Now that the Auster is going onto an LAA Permit I'm thinking of fitting one and I'm wondering what it effect it will have on her warp factor 0.00001 cruise speed?

Them thar hills
18th Feb 2008, 16:27
Not another b windmill !
Pete Smoothy at Airworld is who you need to speak to.
01296 714900
:)

Tony Hirst
18th Feb 2008, 16:27
I don't know the before and after. But vanilla Vagabonds are meant to cruise at about 100mph and ours does that. I suspect the impact is minimal. What is more problematic is the weight, with these aircraft a few pounds is a significant encroachment and a good time of fuel too.

If not picked up I am quite happy to feed the question back to the group and see if any of our longer serving members have any views.

LowNSlow
19th Feb 2008, 08:10
Thanks for the info chaps I will look into this more deeply. TTH, that's the site I found them on.

A_Pommie
19th Feb 2008, 09:09
LnS

Rob Stobo has had one on his Auster for years. I don't know how he did it but he has had his Auster on a permit since I've known him.
He seams happy with it.
A someone has said Air world are the people to talk to I am sure theat Rob got his from there.

LowNSlow
20th Feb 2008, 09:48
A_pommie, where is he based so I can arrange to go and have a shuftie at the installation?

A_Pommie
20th Feb 2008, 10:39
LnS

Rob has a strip somewhere north of Oxford. If you give Pete Smoothy a bell at air world he wil be able to put you in touch as they are old mates.

Windy Militant
20th Feb 2008, 23:34
I have a sneaking suspicion that Robs Auster was damaged last year. I'm not sure how bad it was, but suspect that the U/C was damaged which is where the Genny was mounted. I've seen an other couple of installations around but off hand can't think where, possibly at Oaksey Park or on A/C attending one of our fly in's. Your best bet is Mr Smoothy. There was an article about fitting them in PF, can't remember which issue though.

blue up
21st Feb 2008, 07:52
Maurice Kirk has one on "Liberty Girl".

If you give him a hand to fish it out of the ocean then he might let you have a look!:E

LowNSlow
21st Feb 2008, 09:02
I'll go and dig out my snorkel and flippers as soon as I get home blue up :ok:

ozzieausterdriver
21st Feb 2008, 10:11
LNS

I think you secretly want to wire it up to make an elcetric fan to help get HAM afloat more convincingly!!!

OAD

ChampChump
21st Feb 2008, 22:18
Try the Aeronca Club; I know I've seen some fitted but can't recall whose or where. But a friendly, helpful club....naturally :ok:

http://www.aeronca.co.uk/ for starters