PDA

View Full Version : Night Qualification - Length of training

SPINATO
18th Feb 2008, 14:56
Hi,

I started training for a Night Qualification back in April 2002 but for various reasons didnt get around to finishing it.

I did 3 trips and covered: Relevant emergencies, circuits and night nav. Total flying was 3 hours 33 mins.

My question is now that I want to finish the qualification do the previous hours count or have they "timed out"? In short, to get the qual do I need to start again or can I just do the outstanding flying. I appreciated It might take more that the minimum.

Thanks for any help.
S

BackPacker
18th Feb 2008, 15:03
As far as I know, the only requirements are:
- Five hours total including (I think) three hours cross-country
- Five solo takeoffs and landings (landings to a full stop; touch and gos are not permitted)

There is no exam, and I am fairly sure that there is no time limit within which you've got to do the above. The fact that your flight school seems to work to a syllabus is very good but is not a legal requirement.

So legally all you've got to do is 1.5 hour flying, to include the 5 solo stop-and-gos. And the obvious paperwork and CAA fees.

Whether that is sufficient for you to feel safe, and for the club/school to rent you a plane is a different matter of course. If you haven't flown at night for over five years it might be wise to simply forget about the 3.5 hours you have right now and start all over again anyway.

SPINATO
18th Feb 2008, 18:56
Thanks for that.

I take your point about proficiency/safety, I've been in current military flying practice throughout the time period, however as its rotary it doesnt count.

Cheers.
s