View Full Version : Canada Emigration

Norman Goering
1st Nov 2000, 00:43
Anyone got advice or experience on leaving UK to fly in Canada (citizenship is not a problem)i.e. wages, cost of living (considering Edmonton/Calgary), type of work, job availability etc.

Recent visit to family sparked the interest for a possible change of location.

Current UK ATPL with multi TP EFIS time RHS.

Any USEFUL comments please

corman
1st Nov 2000, 03:29
The time is ripe. Canadian Airlines are embarking in some unpresedented hiring. If you've got an ATPL and a hockey sock full of quality multi-engine time you're in luck.
Most major airlines are not starting you off at a great amount of pay ($27,000 - 39,000)but they progress quickly. Two airlines that have Calgary bases are Canadian Regional Airlines and Westjet. Westjet requires 5000 hrs total time.
As for locations..I grew up in Edmonton and went to school in Calgary so in my opinion you couldn't have picked two better locations. If I could suggest one though it would be Calgary, not only for the obvious airline bases, but lifestyle, skiing, hiking, biking and housing.
You will find the cost of living in Canada quite reasonable compared to the UK. Housing is a little pricey in Calgary but there are plenty of homes/apartments to choose from.
You might want to consider Vancouver or Toronto since they both house the HQ for other major airlines (ie. Air Canada/Canadian Airlines Intl)
Good luck wtih your move to Canada. I'm sure you'll find that it's not all snow and ice...in the summer there is mosquitoes.

Cheers

Ace McKool
3rd Nov 2000, 05:39
Couldn't agree more with corman above. I've been in Calgary for the past year and a half and I love it. As for wages, they may seem a bit low, but the cost of living is a LOT less than Europe (spent 4 years there myself). Coming here was the best decision I've ever made. The lifestyle just can't be beat! Good luck!

Antman
3rd Nov 2000, 21:22
Does anyone know what is required by the Canadian goverment for issue of a work permit and permanent residence.
I'm South African
31 years old
Single
ATPL
6100 hrs Total Time
2500 hrs B737-200
1200 hrs b737-200 P1
I tried to send Westjet my CV but it came back. Does anyone have there current E-mail address for applications.

Ace McKool
3rd Nov 2000, 21:47
You'll need to apply for immigration with the Canadian embassy in SA. As far as I know that's the only way you'll get a job in Canada. You need to be a citizen or a permanent resident. The process takes about a year. We had a South African on my course who went through that and never looked back. He loves the job.

Antman
4th Nov 2000, 09:34
Thanks Ace

Ace McKool
4th Nov 2000, 10:22
No worries. And good luck!

The mole
6th Nov 2000, 01:45
I have 500 hrs tt (all piston) and am looking at emigrating. Does anyone know what job opportunities I would have?

Norman Goering
16th Nov 2000, 19:58
Thanks for the good advice. Spent time recently in Edmonton and Calgary on a "recce" mission/family holiday. Certainly a great area.

2nd2none
18th Nov 2000, 10:28
I moved from the UK to Okotoks (South of Calgary)This August. It can be very difficult at the start,IE credit history etc. but the move is the right one for us. The Canadian High Commision in London is the place to start, They also have a web site, though I can not remember the address. I work in Toronto at the moment, plenty of jobs, but TO is a very expensive place to live. Good luck.

widgeon
20th Nov 2000, 00:13
you could always claim refugee status to short circuit the system ( probably not an option ). If you have a sponsor for your application it might go quicker, when I came hear to work for Canadair the whole process took less than a year as I recall. The quickest way is if you are business class , ie you can show you have enough money and experience to start a business here , these claims are expedited and could take less than 6 months. There are certain occupations that are in short supply that will also get expedited treatment , Try www.settlement.org (http://www.settlement.org) for some useful info and links to other immigration sites.

widgeon
20th Nov 2000, 00:26
http://www.settlement.org/site/Immigration_Citizenship/home.html

Has list of required occupations. Pilots score 15 while anthropologists score 18. go figure !!.

Lu Zuckerman
20th Nov 2000, 04:58
To: Ace McCool

Regarding the time it takes to get residency in Canada you are a bit off. I am a US citizen and have been living in Canada for nearly five years. I applied for residency after getting married to a Canadian citizen. Three years and $10,000 Cdn dollars later I'm still waiting.

------------------
The Cat

widgeon
21st Nov 2000, 02:09
LU , it must be CSIS blocking your application , could be to do with those negative posts on the Cormorant LOL . It does take a lot longer as an independant. .
Are you emigrating to Quebec as well ? that always adds an extra level of BS.

Good luck.
Neil

Lu Zuckerman
21st Nov 2000, 07:46
To:Widgeon

Actually, I got my Quebec residency in less than six months after submitting my application. It is the Canadian office in Ottawa that is giving me a hard time. I guess they figure I'm going to be a drag on the medical system. I don't know why they would be concerned as the medical card is issued by Quebec and not Ottawa.

Oh well, hopefully all will be well in the new year.

------------------
The Cat

Ace McKool
22nd Nov 2000, 21:49
Lu,

Sponsored my wife last year; took five months from the time of application to her arrival in Canada. Went through Canadian embassy in Vienna. Independent applications take longer.

widgeon
23rd Nov 2000, 16:04
Yes LU , if you check on the self assesment form ref the points system the difference between beeing 44 and 49 is more than the advantage one may have in having a Phd over a secondary school cert. I feel sad knowing that I will be old in a couple of years.

stagger
24th Nov 2000, 15:31
It should also be noted that having a PhD only gets you 1 point more than simply having a BA/BSc.