PDA

View Full Version : VLJ's

garp
17th Feb 2008, 15:12
Just what we needed, no forward speed, no climb rate but still requesting FL400.

EUROCONTROL’s studies show that there are about 440 VLJs currently on
order for operation in Europe. Of these, at least 230 are expected for delivery
by the end of 2010. The majority of VLJs are expected to be used for air-taxi
type work. Typically, this would result in each aircraft making an average of 2
to 3 flights a day, adding 200 to 300 extra flights per day each year.

http://www.eurocontrol.int/corporate/gallery/content/public/docs/pdf/pressreleases/2008/080130_VLJ.pdf

elcrusoe
17th Feb 2008, 15:42
Yeah i get to work with the eclipse jet which really makes things interesting. Its like little super charged bees trying to compete with an albatros.....really frustrating.....

niknak
17th Feb 2008, 15:45
It will be interesting to see how things work out - in the U.S these beasts are being flown a single crew Operations on commercial flights. I seem to recall one major potential operator quoting that to fly two crew would be economically unviable.

I don't know what the precise CAA legislation is, but the vast majority of jet and twin prop' charters in the UK are flown two crew these days, if you fly single crew, does it increase operating minima for Cat 2/3 approaches?

The sort of folk who can afford to charter their own aircraft usually enjoy the luxury of being able to get up and move around, it appears to me that once you're strapped in to one of these things there's no chance of swinging a flea around - never mind a cat, not much fun on a 2/3 hour journey, so I am not sure they'll be a huge success once the client becomes aware of their shortcomings.

The only other thing to worry about from an ATC point of view is the perennial problem of the minority of super rich self flying these these things and being 40kts behind the aircraft.