PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for flight

modelman
17th Feb 2008, 12:50
In view of my difficulties starting the a/c yesterday and talking it over later with my pax (Mrs MM) does anyone think there is any merit in the following,particularly when carrying non-flying pax ( I had already completed the A check on my own):

Pilot goes alone to the a/c, sets up the GPS on the yoke etc,starts up ( hopefully :*),gets the engine nice and warm,checks everthing is working ok,shuts down,get pax and then getaway quickly ( not suggesting you don't run through your checks again though).

Mrs MM did say all the messing oround with the start was a little unnerving and being non-technical wouldn't have known that the engine is independent of the battery once started.I always give my pax the opportunity to cancel the flight right up to lining up.

Always get a buzz when my pax really enjoy the flight ( best bit for me)

MM

dublinpilot
17th Feb 2008, 13:01
Well, the obvious problems are

1. If the battery is any way doggy, it is being asked to start the aircraft twice without much of a chance to recharge. Shouldn't be a problem with a decent battery, but if the battery is decent, then there is no need to be worried about getting it to start ;)

2. Some engines (usually fuel injected, which obviously isn't your case) don't like starting when hot....so not much point in getting one of these too hot!

Personally I wouldn't be bothered. If you have problems, explain them to your passenger, and explain why it isn't dangerous, and what redundancy is involved etc. As your said, she was a bit nervious because she didn't understand the issues involved.

dp

bookworm
17th Feb 2008, 14:59
"Aero engines can be very difficult to start, but once they're going are very reliable."

I try to make a point of telling my passengers that before I touch the starter switch. It's much more convincing that way.

stillin1
17th Feb 2008, 16:45
Sounds like a good idea for a situation like you had.