PDA

View Full Version : Soloflight - EGNJ

AdamC
15th Feb 2008, 21:21
I'm really not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, so please accept my apologies in advance if it's not!

Has anybody had any experience with learning to fly with Soloflight at Humberside? I'm intresting in starting my PPL training with them, being 16, I feel I should start working towards my dream career as an airline pilot.

Anybody have any general tips for a newbie starting out? - It'll be my first lesson, I adore flying and really would like to become an airline pilot. I've no doubt you have many young members saying this, but believe me, I'm deadly serious! :}

Regards,
Adam.

Executive_Flyboy
20th Feb 2008, 15:51
I trained at soloflight a few years back. Don’t be intimidated by Mel, stand up to her and don’t forget…..YOU are the customer!

I have flown at a few airfields since and if you can get to Sherburn-in-Elmet I would highly recommend it. They have loads of aeroplanes so you never have a problem with availability. Also the instructors have been there a long time. One thing to check when choosing a school is the quality of the instructors. The good ones are instructors as a career. The bad ones are just out of flight school and are instructing until a job with an airline comes along. Sherburn has career instructors.

Also I would question whether doing your PPL really helps with your career as an airline pilot. I started flying at 13 years old in gliders, did my powered flying at 16, PPL at 17, driving test at 18 and no money to enjoy being a young person at 19. I have been for loads of interviews for airline training schemes and it is down to your personal aptitude and mental agility, not how many flying hours you’ve got. Many of the people at the interview who had just had a trial lesson got taken on. Most of the people, like myself who had been flying for 5 years with 150 hours did not. Most airlines like to train their pilots to fly how they want them to fly and not retrain sloppy pilots with bad habits. When I was at University I applied for the University Air Squadron. Having passed the RAF pilot aptitude test and medical I spent the next 3 years flying 50 hours on the RAF Grob Tutor for FREE. The aircraft are operated by VT aerospace and fly on the civilian aircraft register……..therefore, you can convert it into a civilian PPL with a bit more flying for about £500 and the RAF instructors are a million miles better, the aircraft are newer and better maintained, and you will learn aerobatics, formation flying and low level through the Lake District is a lot of fun.

I don’t want to kill your dream because I loved flying at a young age. All I want to achieve is to stop people blowing their money unnecessarily and help young people make it into the left hand seat of an airliner.

Of course, soloflight would say differently while looking at your dad’s wallet!

rauxaman
20th Feb 2008, 18:21
A lot of pilots both private & commercial owe a lot to Soloflight, Mel's late husband was a great instructor and I'm sure she won't put up with anything but the best with regards to her current instructors.
You need someone as efficient as Mel to keep a flying school running eficiently.

Do they still do the scholarships for young pilots?

20th Feb 2008, 18:54
Agree with Rauxaman regards GS. Was a great aviator, infectious personality and did it all, he is sadly missed by the aviation community in Lincolnshire. Soloflight used to be the better of the flying schools when I lived there 7 years ago when Glen was around. Those days, the aircraft got sorted out for any minor defect (I know cos I worked at the maintenance company!) and flew the most hours. All I can say is go down to all the schools, meet the Instructors and the staff, look at the aircraft and make a choice based on that and also speak to the current students. All this will help provide a comfort level as to who you choose.

Bahn-Jeaux
27th Feb 2008, 10:37
I learned there and still fly with them.

2 full time instructors, both interested in flying as opposed to the airlines.
Its a friendly place despite what some may say and the aircraft are comfortable 4 seat Pipers as opposed to the more usual Cessna150 series of tin cans.

Have a wander down and speak to the staff, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Of course, soloflight would say differently while looking at your dad’s wallet!

And of course no other flying school would accept new business on the basis you describe.

Just registered and 1 post, how credible is that, it appears to me you have registered purely to diss the place.

niknak
27th Feb 2008, 14:05
Concur with Bahn.

Although Glen was a bit of scalliwag, he was an excellent instructor and pilot.

To the best of my knowledge, Mel has carried on that tradition and although there may have been some up's and downs in the period immediately following Glen's untimely demise, I think things are stable now and it's as good as any organisation within the area.

It wouldn't hurt to take a trial lesson with the Humber Flying Club, John (the owner and CFI) is "straight talking" to say the least, but he has an excellent record in getting students through all levels of licences.

There is/was another flying club at EGNJ, but I've no knowledge of them.

AdamC
27th Feb 2008, 19:31
I appreciate all the replies and apologise for not responding sooner.

I took a trial lesson with Soloflight on Saturday and found everybody to be very friendly and welcoming, the instructor was very good in my opinion - Told it how it was, explained how they see a lot of young people like myself through the doors who don't study for exams and fail etc.

The instructor I had was Stuart if I remember correctly, he seemed to have a very good knowledge and allowed me total control besides landing - Showed me how to do a rudder turn, I applied too much rudder and he made sure he got the message in my head never to put my foot flat down again!!!!!!

Surprisingly, 2 people where talking about PPRuNe while I was waiting for my instructor to come along!

I've booked another lesson for 16th March with the same instructor, I wasn't pushed into anything and I was told not to buy anything until I've had a few lessons and I'm sure I want to do the full PPL course.. Of course, I just had to buy a log book! ;)