PDA

View Full Version : Immigratting & Working in Canada

BigBee
5th Apr 2001, 04:05
South African with +2000hrs TT +400Twin
+400Turbine with ATPL - finl year Business
Degree Age 25y

Can anyone please give me advice on imm/working in Canada?

Thanks in Advance

drop bags bar
5th Apr 2001, 17:39
Post your email adress I'll send you some info.

BigBee
5th Apr 2001, 22:09
[email protected]

Thanks very much i'v looked on Web
4 immigrating understand point system
i should have enought for resident visa

But would like more info about jobs certainty
i have leave in July to go over!

pigboat
6th Apr 2001, 01:11
BigBee check your e-mail.

Fixit
8th Apr 2001, 15:21
Any chance of Australian getting work in Canada? I'm 30 with 1600 hrs with turbine tine (DHC6)? Any help wiill be greatly appreciated.

bushranger
9th Apr 2001, 13:52
I'm in the same boat...
Aussie, 1900TT (almost all helicopter)/ 1800 turbine 27yo, and keen to come and experience Canada. Would you be able to email me the same info possibly? I'd appreciate it greatly.

[email protected]

thanks!

------------------
clear in live

Hubinator
13th Apr 2001, 07:55
Could someone please forward the same info on the Immagration web site etc... to me
many thanks
Hubinator :)

Maiden Head
13th Apr 2001, 16:15
G'day all, I'm also an Aussie considering the move to Canada.
1100TT 300Multi 230 on Chieftains. All Flying consists of Bush Time: VFR/IFR
NO instructor rating or turboprop exp.
My question for anyone interested is what sort of flying is going on throughout Canada and can you get around the $10,000 requirement for residency as I am a GA pilot on GA money.
Some info would be much appreciated

The Crimson Fruitbat
13th Apr 2001, 20:42
Maidenhead, for unsponsored independant immigration:

1. The interview waiting list via the Sydney consulate stands at over 2 years.

2. Via the USA its half that but you will probably have to fly to LA or Seattle for an interview.

3. The 2nd fastest way is to be Chinese or from the Indian sub-continent (the bulk of the annual immigration intake).

4. The fastest is to bob up off Vancouver Island in a rusty boat overcrowded by about 300%

If you choose 1. or 2. you're in for a long wait anyway so start saving your $10,000 ($13,000AUD). I've applied via option 1. got told the waiting time and switched to option 2. (I have a job offer but its not 'sponsored').

Canada-Great country, great people but totally r00ted immigration system. As an example a Nurse scores '0' from the Occupations List (from the website and verbally from the department). Yet, another national department (and the national news journals) describes drastic shortages and a possible national shortfall of between 60,000 and 110,000 by 2010. They are totally out of touch (the Occupations List is dated 1997).

Allow 2 years for the processing and you'll be in the right seat of a 'topend' Brasilia by then and you can slide straight into a regional or even AC.

BTW which PA31 do you fly at YPDN?

[This message has been edited by The Crimson Fruitbat (edited 13 April 2001).]

fly_boy
13th Apr 2001, 23:17
I'm 33yo with 4100TT of which only 150 is piston, rest is twin turbine (135 hrs SE turbine) and 1800 glass cockpit (EFIS). 2800 PIC with Oz and FAA ATPLs. Could someone give me some names to contact for a flying job. And what is the immigration website?

fly_boy
13th Apr 2001, 23:33
I'm 33yo with 4100TT of which only 150 is piston, rest is twin turbine (135 hrs SE turbine) and 1800 glass cockpit (EFIS). 2800 PIC with Oz and FAA ATPLs. Could someone give me some names to contact for a flying job. And what is the immigration website?

Gnote
14th Apr 2001, 02:56
If you are thinking of applying for a work visa, bear in mind that the jobs will first offered to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. This procedure is done with Human Resources Canada and usually they will want the position advertised first before they will allow a issuance of a visa, this will take up to three months. Anyone who knows the Canadian Aviation Industry will tell you that there is a huge supply of pilots in the 250 to 1500 hr range that don't have jobs right now, and also tonnes of guys and gals with flying experience in the 2000 to 5000 hr range that will compete for a better position when they see one advertised. Trying to get work flying in Canada under a work visa is almost impossible. The best route is to apply to become a permanent resident. The wait may be long but getting in would be worth the wait. Check out www.cic.gc.ca (http://www.cic.gc.ca) for any more info about immigration. Good luck to all.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Gnote (edited 13 April 2001).]

fly_boy
14th Apr 2001, 15:08
Gnote,
Thanx very much for the insight. The immigration website was excellent - I was able to assess myself and stand at 78 points (>60 pts req'd) for permanent residency visa application. I guess it would be better to get perm residency status before applying for a job; as you say, jobs will be offered to citizens and permanent residents first before looking outside. You know any operators that would be worth contacting to see how the situation is/will be.

Cheers

Gooneybird
16th Apr 2001, 20:16
Message for you Aussies, particularly Maidenhead. I'm aBrit looking at moving to Australia. I noticed some you have impressive hours with no instructor time.
How did you find getting your first flying job?
What's the job scene like and where-a-bouts in Australia are they?

------------------